Rangemaster Master Instructor Qualification

Personal practice/training stories, tips and questions. This is not a place for advertising courses or classes.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Rangemaster Master Instructor Qualification

Post by Paladin »

Thank the lord for the fine weather we are having this weekend! Made it out to a mostly dried out TDSA today and tried the Rangemaster Master Instructor Qualification with livefire for the first time.

My copy of this Tom Givens Qualification came from from John Daub's excellent: "Drills, Qualifications, Standards, & Tests" ebook.

Rangemaster Master Instructor Qualification (Nov 2019)
From Tom Givens, of Rangemaster Firearms Training Services, LLC

Target & Target Scoring
RFTS-Q Target scored 5/4/2.

2 yd From position 3. Start muzzle averted to left or right of target. On signal, rotate on target, fire 3 rounds in 2 seconds (from position 3).
2 yd Repeat.
3 yd Draw and fire 3 rounds strong-hand-only, switch hands, 3 rounds weak-hand-only, all in 7 seconds.
3 yd Draw and fire 4 rounds in 3 seconds.
3 yd Repeat.
5 yd Draw and fire 3 rounds in 3 seconds.
5 yd Repeat.
5 yd Draw and fire 3 rounds to the chest, 1 round to the head, all in 4 seconds.
5 yd Repeat.
5 yd From the ready, fire 1 round to the head in 1.5 seconds.
5 yd Repeat.
7 yd From the ready, fire 4 (3+1) rounds in gun. Fire 4 rounds, reload, 4 rounds, all in 8 seconds.
7 yd From the ready, empty chamber, loaded magazine in place. On signal, attempt to fire (it must go click!), apply remedial action, fire 2 rounds, all in 5 seconds.
15 yd Draw and fire 2 rounds in 5 seconds.
15 yd Draw and fire 3 rounds in 6 seconds.
25 yd Draw and fire 4 rounds standing, 5 rounds kneeling, in 20 seconds.

Scoring
60 rounds total.
300 possible points.
270 or higher (90%) to pass.

Having already shot numerous drills in the morning, including Larry Vickers The Test and Paul Howe's CSAT Pistol Standards, I was very much warmed up. In my opinion this is an excellent standard for those who conceal carry. It tests a wide range of skills at realistic distances with a high standard of accuracy.

Passed the first time with 93%.

The first time shooting the "5 yd Draw and fire 3 rounds to the chest, 1 round to the head, all in 4 seconds." I missed the headshot. Got it figured out the second time around.

The most challenging stage for me was the "7 yd From the ready, fire 4 (3+1) rounds in gun. Fire 4 rounds, reload, 4 rounds, all in 8 seconds"... The time/accuracy standard wasn't easy, but I did well enough to pass.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Rangemaster Master Instructor Qualification

Post by oljames3 »

Unfortunately, Daub did not clarify the scoring of the Rangemaster Instructor Qualification test using the target in the picture. It is much more challenging. The way Givens scores it for actual Rangemaster Instructor Qualification, only hits completely inside the head circle and the inner body circle count. Hits touching a line do not count. Minimum passing is 90%. There are only acceptable hits and unacceptable hits. Only 5 unacceptable hits are allowed in order to pass.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

oljames3 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:59 pm Unfortunately, Daub did not clarify the scoring of the Rangemaster Instructor Qualification test using the target in the picture. It is much more challenging. The way Givens scores it for actual Rangemaster Instructor Qualification, only hits completely inside the head circle and the inner body circle count. Hits touching a line do not count. Minimum passing is 90%. There are only acceptable hits and unacceptable hits. Only 5 unacceptable hits are allowed in order to pass.
That is completely different than NRA or Army scoring.

If each hit is worth 5 possible points, it seems that 30/5=6 complete misses would be acceptable to score 270? What are the 4 and 2 point zones?
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

I'm talking about the 50 round Instructor Development qual, not the 60 round Master Instructor qual. Scoring procedure is the same, the only difference is the round count.

I will check with Rehn this Saturday. I'm working two classes then. I may be misremembering. I did not save my targets. My scores on the certificate are 90 for the FBI qual and 92.8 for the Rangemaster qual. This was for the Instructor development qual, not the Master. Page 25 of the 2021 edition of Daub's book.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

oljames3 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:24 pm I'm talking about the 50 round Instructor Development qual, not the 60 round Master Instructor qual. Scoring procedure is the same, the only difference is the round count.

I will check with Rehn this Saturday. I'm working two classes then. I may be misremembering. I did not save my targets. My scores on the certificate are 90 for the FBI qual and 92.8 for the Rangemaster qual. This was for the Instructor development qual, not the Master. Page 25 of the 2021 edition of Daub's book.
Thanks! Karl is a first class instructor. That's really cool you're working with KR Training now.

Return to “Training & Practice”