Don't need to show LTC to LEO when carrying.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Don't need to show LTC to LEO when carrying.

Post by dlh »

:confused5
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:26 pm
ELB wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 am
oohrah wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:49 pm ...According to the LEO I interacted with, this GC does no longer apply. ...
I don't believe he is correct, but it is a useless bit of code.
The duty to disclose your LTC still exists. The penalties were removed in 2009 and that may be what the LEO means. A duty without a remedy for noncompliance is effectively neutered.

Chas.
For Charles, ELB, and anybody else who might be interested how about this hypothetical...

Law officer stops you for speeding and asks to see your driver's license and handgun license. You show him your driver's license but refuse to show him your handgun license.

He then arrests you or writes you two citations: one for speeding, the other for failing to obey a lawful order of a police officer under Section 542.501 of the Texas Transportation Code...

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Stat ... =1/29/2015

The lawful order arises by virtue of the language in Section 411.205 of the Government Code...Most violations of the Texas Transportation Code (failing to obey a lawful order would be included in this but I could be mistaken) would be at least a Class C Misdemeanor subject to a monetary fine.

Of course it can be argued the legislature removed the penalty for failing to display a handgun license but what if you get a hard-headed prosecutor (I have known a few) who chose to go with the more general refusal to obey the lawful order charge?

Is there any case law parsing and nuancing this area? Somehow I doubt it but your input is always appreciated.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

4copas

Post by 4copas »

Not positive but I think the penalty was removed mainly because of The Texas Motorist Protection Act (HB 1815). I think that’s the bill number. If you are legally allowed to own a firearm, you are legal to carry concealed in your vehicle without a license as long as:

The handgun must NOT be in plain view; it must be concealed.
You are NOT engaged in criminal activity (excluding Class C traffic misdemeanors).
Federal law does NOT prohibit you from possessing a firearm.
You are NOT a member of a criminal gang.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

4copas wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:12 pm Not positive but I think the penalty was removed mainly because of The Texas Motorist Protection Act (HB 1815). I think that’s the bill number.
I would have to research it, but I don’t remember it being that way at all. The Removal of the penalty for not showing your LTC with identification was accomplished in a special session after the regular session closed. There had been a bill on regular session that would’ve done away with the requirement altogether, but it did not get voted on before the regular session closed. Charles cotton noted that happened in 2009.

The motorist protection act was passed in 2007.
USAF 1982-2005

4copas

Post by 4copas »

ELB wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:46 pm
4copas wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:12 pm Not positive but I think the penalty was removed mainly because of The Texas Motorist Protection Act (HB 1815). I think that’s the bill number.
I would have to research it, but I don’t remember it being that way at all. The Removal of the penalty for not showing your LTC with identification was accomplished in a special session after the regular session closed. There had been a bill on regular session that would’ve done away with the requirement altogether, but it did not get voted on before the regular session closed. Charles cotton noted that happened in 2009.

The motorist protection act was passed in 2007.
Ok, wasn’t really sure from memory. Just thought it was part of the reasoning. Me as LTC holder asked for ID required to show LTC if armed, next person non LTC holder asked for ID and armed has nothing to show.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As noted, the Motorist Protection Act was passed in 2007 and it did not contain any provisions concerning the duty to display our CHL. However, it was a justification to remove the duty in 2009. When then-Senator Dan Patrick strongly objected, we knew our bill (SB838) was dead.

2009 was a sunset year for DPS, so a bill (HB2730) had to be passed reauthorizing the DPS in order for it to continue in existence. Since the duty to display a CHL is set out in Gov't Code Chp. 411 that deals with the DPS, deleting the penalties for failing to display was germane. We added our language to HB2730. This was during the regular session in 2009.

And that, as Paul Harvey used to say, is the rest of the story.
Chas.

Edited to add: Our language is on page 195 when opening in Word.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:19 pm And that, as Paul Harvey used to say, is the rest of the story.
Chas.
Or as Mike Rowe now says..."Anyway, that's the way I heard it!" If you haven't heard any of his podcasts called "The Way I Heard It"...I highly recommend them.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Question gents? What if I get pulled over but not carrying? DO I need to say hey officer I have a LTC or produce my license at all if not carrying?

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:19 pm ... We added our language to HB2730. This was during the regular session in 2009.

And that, as Paul Harvey used to say, is the rest of the story.
Chas.
Yeah, so much for memory. :roll: I finally figured out it was HB 2730 in the regular session, not the special. But I never did find the exact language.
USAF 1982-2005

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I received my CHL in 2009. My instructor was adiment that the law was just changed and a CHL was no longer required to be shown when you presented your ID. He also stated we did not have to show an ID unless we were being arrested. I went through two fairly serious stops and never revealed I was CCing. It was not until I found and began reading this forum that I began to present my CHL with an ID.

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oohrah »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:26 pm
ELB wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 am
oohrah wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:49 pm ...According to the LEO I interacted with, this GC does no longer apply. ...
I don't believe he is correct, but it is a useless bit of code.
The duty to disclose your LTC still exists. The penalties were removed in 2009 and that may be what the LEO means. A duty without a remedy for noncompliance is effectively neutered.

Chas.
A big reason I read and like this forum. While it's foolish to expect legal advice from the Internet, I'd defer to opinions on this forum rather than a single LEO.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 pm Question gents? What if I get pulled over but not carrying? DO I need to say hey officer I have a LTC or produce my license at all if not carrying?
If you're not carrying, you're under no obligation to provide you LTC. However, I tell my students (and I always qualify it as my suggestion, and not a requirement) that I feel it's a good idea to present the LTC even if you're unarmed.
NRA lifetime member

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

My students get the same message. It costs you nothing to show it and tells the officer you've had a background check, etc. Only down side is the lecture you might get about the firearm not doing you any good sitting at home. ;-)
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

KC5AV wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:29 pm
Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 pm Question gents? What if I get pulled over but not carrying? DO I need to say hey officer I have a LTC or produce my license at all if not carrying?
If you're not carrying, you're under no obligation to provide you LTC. However, I tell my students (and I always qualify it as my suggestion, and not a requirement) that I feel it's a good idea to present the LTC even if you're unarmed.
Thanks much sir !

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Scott B. wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:50 pm My students get the same message. It costs you nothing to show it and tells the officer you've had a background check, etc. Only down side is the lecture you might get about the firearm not doing you any good sitting at home. ;-)
No chance of a lecture. If I am awake and dress, I'm carrying.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I guess I don't understand why one would not want to show their license to a LEO. They will know you have it and may take it as being unfriendly on your part. I always hand mine to the LEO when I have been stopped (2 times in 10 years) and do all of the other things advised when I took the class with Charles. LEO has a tough enough job as it is. Both stops (one for a tail light that was out and a failure to use my turn signal, the other for speeding) ended up with a polite conversation and warning tickets. May have gone that way anyway but one never knows and making life for the LEO as easy as possible never hurts.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”