Got pulled over in Fort Worth

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Got pulled over in Fort Worth

Post by Tex1961 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:55 am I’ve only ever been pulled over twice since I moved to Texas in 2006. Neither was for the manner in which I was driving, but rather for an expired registration window-sticker the first time, and a burned out taillight the second time. Both were with Southlake PD.

I just don’t think it’s a big deal to show both my LTC and TDL when asked for ID by Texas LEOs. With the first stop, the officer looked at my (then) CHL and asked me if I was armed. I said yes, and he asked me where it was. I said left hip, OWB. He said, "tell you what…you don’t show me yours and I won’t show you mine" and handed me back the CHL.

The second time I was pulled over, I handed both licenses to the cop. He glanced at the CHL and said "I don’t need this" and handed it back to me…and that was the end of it. Both times I was issued a no-fine fix-it ticket. I think that last time was in maybe 2010.

I just tend not to drive in a manner that’s going to get me noticed. I drive a generic-looking gray SUV that doesn’t really stand out; plus I look like Santa Claus…and NOBODY wants to give a ticket to Santa Claus!
Dunno, Santa... If you were only driving with one red light and it was foggy out :-)

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:55 am I’ve only ever been pulled over twice since I moved to Texas in 2006. Neither was for the manner in which I was driving, but rather for an expired registration window-sticker the first time, and a burned out taillight the second time. Both were with Southlake PD.

I just don’t think it’s a big deal to show both my LTC and TDL when asked for ID by Texas LEOs. With the first stop, the officer looked at my (then) CHL and asked me if I was armed. I said yes, and he asked me where it was. I said left hip, OWB. He said, "tell you what…you don’t show me yours and I won’t show you mine" and handed me back the CHL.

The second time I was pulled over, I handed both licenses to the cop. He glanced at the CHL and said "I don’t need this" and handed it back to me…and that was the end of it. Both times I was issued a no-fine fix-it ticket. I think that last time was in maybe 2010.

I just tend not to drive in a manner that’s going to get me noticed. I drive a generic-looking gray SUV that doesn’t really stand out; plus I look like Santa Claus…and NOBODY wants to give a ticket to Santa Claus!
:smilelol5: :smilelol5: They don't want coal in their stockings.

clarionite
Posts in topic: 1

Post by clarionite »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:03 pm I have not been pulled over in years but if I did and some cop wanted to search my car, I would tell them to kiss me where the sun never shines. I have figured out that cops NEVER ask questions because they are wanting to know how your life is going. They are on a fishing expedition. Fortunately, I live in Plano and the cops around here don't act like that for the most part. At least not that I have run into. Last time I was pulled over, the cop came to the window and said hello. I am Officer so and so and the reason I pulled you over was because I clocked you going 115 in a 75. Could I get your license and proof of insurance? Gave me my ticket, said to maybe slow it down 35 miles an hour and have a good day. :mrgreen: That was Louisiana. My penalty was I had to write the Parish judge a letter saying I was wrong and would not drive that fast in his Parish ever again. Ticket was dismissed. LOL
When I moved to LA almost 20 years ago, I was used to following the posted speed. You'll get rear ended there if you don't keep up with traffic. I was driving 5 over and a marked cruiser passed me like I was standing still. He was going with the flow of traffic, and not harassing any of them.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

srothstein wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:36 pm
carlson1 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:29 pm What would be her probable cause for a search? Because RPBrown had a LTC and was not armed does not articulate that he was committing a crime. When I went to the academy 100 years ago we had weeks of search and seizure law. Most if the TCLOSE (TCOLE Now) test covered search and seizure.
She would not need probable cause if RPBrown consented to a search. And I know a lot of rookies who ask for consent at almost every stop. I had one I was training about 20 years ago that told me he did it because he found a lot of the time there was some small amount of drugs (usually marijuana) in the car and got got an arrest. I pointed out that by waiting for real probable cause, I may only get half the arrests that he did, but they were all people who really deserved a trip to jail.

Rookies seemed to prefer quantity over quality (and I am not exempting myself from when I was a rookie).

On a side note, I am coming out of retirement and going back on patrol soon. Things have changed a lot in the 15 years since I left law enforcement. The town I will be working in is a small town on IH-35 south of San Antonio and the major problem they are concentrating on now is smuggling - large drug shipments or illegal aliens. Now I have to learn a whole new set of cues for who to stop.
Be careful and stay safe. If you work traffic patrol you should get plenty of business. I am up that way a many times a year at my daughter's and also the deer lease. We have a running joke that "it's in the water" for the stupid antics of drivers. My son-in-law is a Captain with Canyon Lake ESD.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I've been pulled over four times since getting my CHL. Three times the officer just handed me back the CHL and said "I don't need that." One time on a long road trip, I put the gun in my console. The officer asked me where it was at and then said that he'd recommend keeping it on my hip in the future. Never a ticket or an interaction longer than 3 minutes. I will note that the two times I was pulled over for speeding I was less than 5 over. Odd.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

AlaskanInTexas wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:46 pm I've been pulled over four times since getting my CHL. Three times the officer just handed me back the CHL and said "I don't need that." One time on a long road trip, I put the gun in my console. The officer asked me where it was at and then said that he'd recommend keeping it on my hip in the future. Never a ticket or an interaction longer than 3 minutes. I will note that the two times I was pulled over for speeding I was less than 5 over. Odd.
Wow! 5 over the speed limit? Is there a sign on the back of your vehicle that says "kick me"? I have gotten away with going 15 over many times while driving past a police car. I can honestly say I have deserved every speeding ticket I ever received....LOL. I worked hard for them. The older I get, the slower I drive so I never get pulled over these days. Sometimes I am driving along and look at my speedometer to only realize I am going 10 below the limit. It usually hits me when I realize everyone is blowing my doors off as they drive by me.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you havent seen the SANTA that drives the white F350 crewcab near and around greenville.. HE FLIES in that truck, all the while blasting jingle bells sounds at redlights he is a humorous guy :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Bolton Strid

Post by Bolton Strid »

AF-Odin wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:42 am Sounds similar to a situation I had back in 2005 with a DPS Trainee except the Trainee was a bit more excited as I WAS carrying. Be polite, be professional, follow the officer's directions, and know your rights. Deal with the issue with a supervisor later if need be.
Anyone who goes into hysterics over something like that needs to find another profession. It has to be assumed that people are liable to be armed any number of ways, at all times, be level headed enough to conduct their duties with balance between safety and courtesy. Reality is the law enforcement profession is in a state of decay and decline like other professions of public service along with the society they are supposed to serve. One is a reflection of the other. I find a lot of squared away people who could be fine officers are avoiding police work. Consequently there are a lot of recruits who join up for the wrong reasons who are ultimately detrimental to their department and community they are supposed to serve.
Smoke Rings in the Dark

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

AlaskanInTexas wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:46 pm I've been pulled over four times since getting my CHL. Three times the officer just handed me back the CHL and said "I don't need that." One time on a long road trip, I put the gun in my console. The officer asked me where it was at and then said that he'd recommend keeping it on my hip in the future. Never a ticket or an interaction longer than 3 minutes. I will note that the two times I was pulled over for speeding I was less than 5 over. Odd.
Do you still have Alaska plates? :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Thanks, everyone, for all the good wishes.
K.Mooneyham wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:48 am Devine, Pearsall, Dilley, or Cotulla...
Actually, it is Natalia. When I said small, I meant small.
Steve Rothstein

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

srothstein wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:33 pm Thanks, everyone, for all the good wishes.
K.Mooneyham wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:48 am Devine, Pearsall, Dilley, or Cotulla...
Actually, it is Natalia. When I said small, I meant small.
Yeah, that's small alright. I spent my teenage years down in that area, but it's been awhile since I've been back. I'll add to the chorus of well-wishes and add in a Merry Christmas and Feliz Navidad!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”