Domestic Disturbance

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Domestic Disturbance

Post by anygunanywhere »

Most LEO contacts reported on this and other forums deal with traffic stops. I was involved in a domestic dispute this past Tuesday (1-3-06) in Baytown.

A sibling has caused an issue concerning our mother, and subsequently evicted her. Mom is 80 years old. My wife and I picked up mom on Monday 1-2-06 and gathered up a bunch of her things to bring to our house in League City. Tueasday we headed off to Baytown to return some of my sibling's things and gather up more of Mom's stuff. My sibling was home instead of work.

First off, let me say up front that my sibling knows my wife and I pack. I was armed when I arrived at the residence. My sibling refused entry to me and my wife. She never mentioned our weapons, and we made no threats. We told my sibling we would not try to enter, that Mom would go in, but the sibling insisted acces would not be granted unless my wife and I left. We were not welcome.

I called Baytown PD. I called before my sibling, which I believe was important.

PD arrived promptly. The first officer on the scene was the resident courtesy officer. When he exited the patrol car, I introduced myself and handed him my TDL and CHL. He glanced at them and asked what was going on. I explained what the problem was and he went inside the apartment and spoke with my sibling. He returned a few minutes later and said he would go inside with Mom and bring her stuff outside. He said my sibling did not want me in the apartment.

Mom's stuff was brought out and we left without incident.

At no time did the officer ask me about our weapons. The subject of concealed carry never came up. I was packing my Kimber CDP in an IWB strong side 3 o'clock, with a spare mag weak side. I had my Kel-Tec BUG P3AT in my right pocket. Cover garment was a short sleeve fishing shirt. The wife kept hers in the suburban.

We stood around and talked to the officer for about 10 minutes after we had loaded up the stuff. He used to live in League City, and We used to live in Baytown, so we did have a lot to talk about.

I believe the experience was positive. I also firmly believe making the first contact with PD was important. The situation might not have been so positive if my sibling had made the call first.

I welcome any discussion on this LEO encouinter, especially since domestic disturbances can be dangerous to LEO as well as those involved.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Domestic Disturbance

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

anygunanywhere wrote:I believe the experience was positive. I also firmly believe making the first contact with PD was important. The situation might not have been so positive if my sibling had made the call first.
I absolutely agree! Obviously, there is no way to know for sure, but if your sibling had called and said you and your wife where there and s/he was afraid of you because both of you carry guns, the officer would have come to the scene with a completely different "briefing." We’ve all heard the saying, “you only get one chance at making a first impression.� That applies to this scenario in spades.

Thanks for posting this.

Chas.

JLaw

Re: Domestic Disturbance

Post by JLaw »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:I believe the experience was positive. I also firmly believe making the first contact with PD was important. The situation might not have been so positive if my sibling had made the call first.
I absolutely agree! Obviously, there is no way to know for sure, but if your sibling had called and said you and your wife where there and s/he was afraid of you because both of you carry guns, the officer would have come to the scene with a completely different "briefing." We’ve all heard the saying, “you only get one chance at making a first impression.� That applies to this scenario in spades.

Thanks for posting this.

Chas.
Absolutely. I agree that you handled the situation correctly. Good job.

JLaw

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Good job, and +1 for calling the police first.

If I read your post right, the sibling also called police? What allegations, if any, were made?

Kevin

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Good job and thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm sorry that your sibling is not more understanding. :sad:
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The sibling may have called BPD, but I am not certain. When I informed the individual through the door that I had notified PD, I just heard a few obscenities and was again informed that I was an a$$h0l3. :)

PD did speak with them, and the officer did not say what he was told. It really did not matter since my 80 year old mother was with me and she backed up everything I told PD.

My wife did tell me later that I could have handled the situation better. I did get a little agressive when I knocked on the door, and my booming baritone voice did resound across the apartment complex. However, when someone treats my mother the way she was treated, I believe such behavior should be rectified with an foot whuppin'. I would bet dollars to donuts that PD felt the way I did. They don't like little old ladies being treated wrong either.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

+1 anygun...You did good...

I know how big a boy you are, and your presense may be intimidating to some...Thats ok, thats the other person's problem...I wouldn't change a thing about you anyway...

You handled this issue admirably...

Suggestion...Let your wife see these comments...You did nothing wrong in telling us what her concerns were about how you conducted yourself...I thought she was right in relating those concerns to you as well...

This is one of those things we can all learn from...

I hope the loose ends in your situation get ironed out though...We'll be thinking about you brother...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

stevie_d_64 wrote:...I thought she was right in relating those concerns to you as well...
She has never been skeered to let me know her concerns. I can usually tell at a glance when I wish I hadn't done something. She does let me have the lead when certain issues come up and this was one of them.
I hope the loose ends in your situation get ironed out though...We'll be thinking about you brother...
Myself and my other brother and sister have things under control. A little help from two attorneys thrown in for good measure. Thanks, Bro.

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

Hey, where was I for all of this. PM me with the case number if you got one. If not, PM me the approx time and date and I can see what officer responded.

I guess we can score one for Baytown!!!! :lol: :lol:

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”