Fact check on traffic stops in Texas

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
G.C.Montgomery
Posts in topic: 2

Fact check on traffic stops in Texas

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

Y'all forgive me if I missed this in a previous thread. I'm checking into whether or not it's "normal" or if it is reasonable for an officer to ask for a driver's SSN during a traffic stop under threat of arrest for not complying. Any help would be appreciated.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

Captain Matt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Fact check on traffic stops in Texas

Post by Captain Matt »

If he's planning to commit identity theft.
"hic sunt dracones"

txfireguy2003

Post by txfireguy2003 »

I've been stopped a few times, never been asked for my SSN. Also, worked as a police dispatcher for 3 years before getting my current job. There is no SSN on the DL, or listed on any DL return from the state IIRC. The ONLY legitimate reason I can think of for him requesting that information is that someone with the same or similar name had a warrant which listed the SSN for some reason. If that were the case, the officer likely would not tell you, due to the probability of a fight if you were in fact the person in question. They don't like to tell you that you're under arrest until you're in cuffs.

Topic author
G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

Thanks guys...I asked because the question came up over the weekend and it sounded weird. Two different women complained of Brazoria County SO deputies asking for SSN's in their traffic stops. Neither woman knew the other before we all met on Saturday.

The first woman to complain is from St. Lucia. So, I wondered if it might be an immigration issue at first. But, the second woman is a Texas born, US citizen. That kinda blew the immigration theory out of the water. I'd told them both I could think of no reason for that line of questioning and recommended they take it up with the sheriff's office.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

I "don't know" my SSN. ;-)

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Many police agencies request SSN's when they are issuing a ticket or making an arrest. Anything they can use to help identify the person for future reference is appreciated and added to the database. There is a space for the SSN on the criminal history returns and sometimes it is very useful for making sure you have the right person. I have seen cases where the name and DOB were the same, which leaves you wondering if the DL you are holding and the one on the warrant are for the same person. An SSN helps clear that up without having to resort to fingerprints.

But, you are under no obligation at any time to provide an SSN to a police officer. Under Texas law, the only thing you must provide, and cannot refuse, is your real name, date of birth, and home address if you are under arrest. You can refuse everything else and you can even refuse this is you are not under arrest.

One of the things many police agencies forget is that there is a federal law governing the use of the social security number. The Privacy Act of 1974 says they can only ask you for this information if they give you a proper warning of why they want it, how it will be used, and whether or not disclosure is voluntary or mandatory for the specific case.

Older officers tend to not ask for SSN's because we know it is not required and is resented. Many younger officers will not ask for it because they are concerned with identity theft. But there are some officers who will ask for it and think you must give it just because there is a space for it on the ticket. They need to be educated by their department and it will only happen if enough people complain.
Steve Rothstein

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

srothstein wrote:Many police agencies request SSN's when they are issuing a ticket or making an arrest. Anything they can use to help identify the person for future reference is appreciated and added to the database. There is a space for the SSN on the criminal history returns and sometimes it is very useful for making sure you have the right person. I have seen cases where the name and DOB were the same, which leaves you wondering if the DL you are holding and the one on the warrant are for the same person. An SSN helps clear that up without having to resort to fingerprints.

But, you are under no obligation at any time to provide an SSN to a police officer. Under Texas law, the only thing you must provide, and cannot refuse, is your real name, date of birth, and home address if you are under arrest. You can refuse everything else and you can even refuse this is you are not under arrest.

One of the things many police agencies forget is that there is a federal law governing the use of the social security number. The Privacy Act of 1974 says they can only ask you for this information if they give you a proper warning of why they want it, how it will be used, and whether or not disclosure is voluntary or mandatory for the specific case.

Older officers tend to not ask for SSN's because we know it is not required and is resented. Many younger officers will not ask for it because they are concerned with identity theft. But there are some officers who will ask for it and think you must give it just because there is a space for it on the ticket. They need to be educated by their department and it will only happen if enough people complain.
Very informative, Thank you!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Never heard that & am glad to know it.
Thanks Steve :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

A few years ago I was being asked everytime and always just said no. Lately they dont even ask anymore but it is still on some LEO agencies ticket books.

Will938

Post by Will938 »

GrillKing wrote:I "don't know" my SSN. ;-)
Now that you mention it, the first time I was pulled over the cop did ask for my SSN, and I said the same thing. He went ballistic, terrifying introduction to law enforcement.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

Will938 wrote:
GrillKing wrote:I "don't know" my SSN. ;-)
Now that you mention it, the first time I was pulled over the cop did ask for my SSN, and I said the same thing. He went ballistic, terrifying introduction to law enforcement.
He can go ballistic. I'll stay polite. still don't know it, now matter how much he yells and screams. Stay polite and nothing will come of it. I just don't give out my SSN when not required by law. There is no law that says you have to know it and the card even says not to carry it.

newTexan

Post by newTexan »

This happened way before I had my CHL, but it may help shed light on some things...

When I first moved to TX, I got pulled over by Bell County's finest. Nothing overly dramatic or interesting. He was polite. I was polite. We were all polite. I was speeding. He knew it. I knew he knew it. blah blah

At the end of the stop, he asked for my SSN and volunteered that they have started asking for SSN's as a record keeping measure for a new state program of some kind. He said it was optional, but I gave it to him anyway. He wrote it down on the ticket (there was a spot for it) and thanked me for not giving him any grief about it.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I can bet the state program wasnt for your benefit.

Don Davis

Post by Don Davis »

DPS gets your Social Security number when you get your license, so I think they can get it off of the return from running your driver license number. I'd rather give it than to have it broadcast to every Jimmy Joe Billy Bob with a scanner. :sad:

Commander

Post by Commander »

The DL return received through TLETS does not include the SSN. The SSN is only available to DPS internally.

As srothstein said above, an SSN might be included on a wanted return as an additional identifier or on a CCH (Computerized Criminal History) as an identifier. That said, it is possible to run a CCH using a name and the SSN instead of the DOB.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”