Fact check on traffic stops in Texas

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Don Davis
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Fact check on traffic stops in Texas

Post by Don Davis »

Commander wrote:The DL return received through TLETS does not include the SSN. The SSN is only available to DPS internally.

As srothstein said above, an SSN might be included on a wanted return as an additional identifier or on a CCH (Computerized Criminal History) as an identifier. That said, it is possible to run a CCH using a name and the SSN instead of the DOB.
That is good to here confirmed. Thanks. :thumbs2:

Eddie2612
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Eddie2612 »

I would have to politely decline to give my SSN.. "I'm sorry officer but I do not offer that information unless I am asking for money"

Glock 19 - IWB
Ruger P345 = .45
Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

G.C.Montgomery wrote:Y'all forgive me if I missed this in a previous thread. I'm checking into whether or not it's "normal" or if it is reasonable for an officer to ask for a driver's SSN during a traffic stop under threat of arrest for not complying. Any help would be appreciated.
To answer: "Yes."

If, for example, you don't have your DL, then, at the DPS, we can run you by Name, Race, Sex, Gender, DOB or by SSN to come up with a DL. Second, if a CCH has been requested, then they come up by "soundex" name, race, sex, gender, dob... at time with some names we can receive multiple possible CCH's --- and they have the SSN on them, so the only way to sort out if a person has a CCH is by SSN.

Thanks for asking.
Last edited by kw5kw on Tue May 19, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

txfireguy2003 wrote:I've been stopped a few times, never been asked for my SSN. Also, worked as a police dispatcher for 3 years before getting my current job. There is no SSN on the DL, or listed on any DL return from the state IIRC. The ONLY legitimate reason I can think of for him requesting that information is that someone with the same or similar name had a warrant which listed the SSN for some reason. If that were the case, the officer likely would not tell you, due to the probability of a fight if you were in fact the person in question. They don't like to tell you that you're under arrest until you're in cuffs.
DPS can and do run by SSN in our DDL system.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

LaserTex

Post by LaserTex »

I was assigned as an Air Force Recruiter for 4 years in Midland/Odessa (1995 - 1999). It was HAMMERED into our heads in school - when you ask for the applicant's SSN, you MUST provide them with a copy of the Privacy Act of 1974 (required by Federal Law). That piece of paper was required and a set of initials were required by the applicant on the application that the statement was given.

If a LEO asks for your SSN, wouldn't they also be required, by federal law, to provide the Privacy Act Statement?

Doug :txflag:
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

LaserTex wrote:I was assigned as an Air Force Recruiter for 4 years in Midland/Odessa (1995 - 1999). It was HAMMERED into our heads in school - when you ask for the applicant's SSN, you MUST provide them with a copy of the Privacy Act of 1974 (required by Federal Law). That piece of paper was required and a set of initials were required by the applicant on the application that the statement was given.

If a LEO asks for your SSN, wouldn't they also be required, by federal law, to provide the Privacy Act Statement?

Doug :txflag:
I was a Marine Recruiter from 1984-1987 in Denver and it we just made sure they read the Privacy Act statement on any documents that they signed. Other than that, we didn't sweat it.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Everything that had my SS# in the Army also had the privacy act of 1974 statement on it. So unless the LEO has a benefit to provide me he has no need for my SS#.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I got stopped a few weeks ago and the officer asked for my phone number. I gave it to him. Asked for my work location. I gave it to him. Asked for work number. I gave it to him. He asked for my Social security number. I politely told him, " I don't have to give that to you". He responded with, "You do now." but he dropped the issue. At that point I was willing to go to jail. and he had already written the ticket anyway. There could be no benefit for me to give him information so that he or anyone else can steal my identity. I believe that any information they write on a ticket is available to the public.

Several years ago DPS started collecting our Social Security Numbers in order to "protect the children" , We were blackmailed, that we wouldn't be able to renew our license if we didn't provide the Social security number.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

kd5zex

Post by kd5zex »

I don't know mine by heart and I don't carry the card per the instructions on the government website.

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/
Do not carry your card with you. Keep it in a safe place with your other important papers.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

kd5zex wrote:I don't know mine by heart and I don't carry the card per the instructions on the government website.

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/
Do not carry your card with you. Keep it in a safe place with your other important papers.
Lots of people don't know their social security card number, I cant tell you my Texas drivers license. but I was once in the Army. I know mine and will not lie to an officer or almost any man (or woman either). This sometimes gets me into trouble becase others see refusal as confrontational, but I really have a hard time with even little white lies.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

kd5zex

Post by kd5zex »

Liberty wrote:I cant tell you my Texas drivers license.
I couldn't either, before I applied for a CHL and used their fancy status checking website. :rolll

I think in some states your DL# is your SSN.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”