Couple of contacts for you. one +, one so-so

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
1TallTXn
Posts in topic: 5

Couple of contacts for you. one +, one so-so

Post by 1TallTXn »

Friday I took off for town on the motorcycle to run some errands. I accelerated enthusiastically into traffic. Glanced down and realized I was doing 65mph (50mph zone) oops! Keene PD noticed as well.

I pulled over before he could get his lights on.
DL/CHL/Insurance as he approached. Asked if I was armed, said yes, in the tank bag. The officer was very polite and courteous. Handed me my ticket. said I could easily get it off of my record with a number of options.

Thanked me for my courtesy. returned papers and said I was free to leave.

Other then the ticket (I deserved it) it was a nice stop. Never questioned me about the CHL or anything else.
One thing I found interesting was the officer was wearing a white polo shirt and dark blue/black shorts. just didn't seem terribly professional to me.

--
Saturday, going to the drive-in theater in Granbury in the truck. Going down FM4 and see a DPS car pull into the turn lane as he sees me approach. I move over a lane and he flips the U-turn and lights on. I pull into a parking lot (no shoulder).

DL/CHL/Insurance as he approaches. Trooper asks if I'm armed. I say yes, on the right hip. He asks me to exit the vehicle. I've got both hands on the window frame as I exit. Walk back to the car and he says "I like to be the only one with a gun here" and proceeds to disarm me. He goes to his car door (I'm at the grille of the car) and drops the clip and trys to rack the slide to drop the round out of the chamber. he's fighting the safety which doesn't allow the slide to move and has the muzzle pointed at his left kidney. I'm a little worried he's going to make it go off.

He then gave me the mag and the loose round and placed the gun in the drivers seat. Slide locked open.

He repeatedly asked if the gun was stolen. I kept telling him it wasn't and that I had purchased it new.

He asked if I had any more magazines in the vehicle. I responded with a "no, but I have one in my left rear pocket" his response was a very sarcastic "are you going to war? how many clips do you have?"
He asked my friends in the truck if they had any firearms on them. which they didn't.

The entire time during the stop I was very polite. There's no point in being rude for ANY reason.
He wrote me a warning (49 in a 40, I was watching him and missed the sign) and told me I was free to go. he then jumped in his car and left in a hurry!

While I have no reason to complain, I wasn't terribly thrilled by the Troopers attitude during the stop. sure he was nice enough, but it was clear that he didn't like the idea of me legally carrying. saying things like "are you scared to come to Granbury?" "why do you need <b>TWO</b> clips!?"

I'd say this was a decent stop, but not as good as it could have been. Certainly not anything worth complaining about.

Comments?

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Couple of contacts for you. one +, one so-so

Post by The Marshal »

1TallTXn wrote: I'd say this was a decent stop, but not as good as it could have been. Certainly not anything worth complaining about.

Comments?
Two:
1) Its unforunate that their are people out there that are supposed to enforce the law, yet don't want you to have your rights under other laws. I suspect that in reality, you just made him real nervous. The best thing you can do, is what you did! A couple more "positive encounters" with CHL holders and maybe the officer will form a different opinion...

2) Speedometer: a great tool to use to avoid unnecessary law enforcement attention. ;-)

~Bill

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

The Marshal wrote: 2) Speedometer: a great tool to use to avoid unnecessary law enforcement attention. ;-)

~Bill
:lol: :thumbsup:

Too bad about the troopers attitude on that stop. Like Marshall said, maybe he'll soon realize we're good guys too, just looking to protect ourselves and our families. It's good to know however that this particular trooper is the exception and not the rule!

JLaw

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Not having been there, I can't say what prompted the trooper to take such a guarded position.

You must realize also...that not all LEO are necessarily "pro-gun".

Even worse, occasionally you'll run into one that has the attitude that they are the only one capable/competent enough to possess a firearm. It matters not, that you may have owned and fired a weapon for more years than they have been alive. ;-)

I have had nothing but good/professional experiences with LE to date.

I don't really understand his comment about you "going to war", but I must say you displayed more restraint than I would have. There is just something about snide remarks that doesn't "set well" with me, no matter who you are.

Thanks for sharing your postitive...(and not so positive) experiences.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
1TallTXn

Post by 1TallTXn »

[quote=The Marshal]
2) Speedometer: a great tool to use to avoid unnecessary law enforcement attention. ;-)

~Bill[/quote]

Yup, I goofed up. I'm generally quite good at sticking to the speed limit. :oops: oh well.

I don't think that I did anything that prompted his attitude. I was very polite and answered every question immediately and honestly.
I made a very large point of making sure my hands were clear of my pistol the entire time. The only time I got close was getting my wallet out and that was before he had even got his car stopped.

He did thank me for my cooperation and courtesy, so I don't think I left a bad impression on him. Hopefully the next CHLer that he pulls over will do the same.

PWK

Post by PWK »

"he's fighting the safety which doesn't allow the slide to move and has the muzzle pointed at his left kidney. I'm a little worried he's going to make it go off. "

That's the part that is inexcusable.

cyphur
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cyphur »

sounds like a couple of good stops, even if the attitude was a little less than desirable.

flintknapper, I have that same issue, smart mouthing me just doesn't work out very well unless its in jest......

As for the uniforms, have to roll with the times. Cops are moving away from the pressed uniforms for bicycle cops, and some patrol cops - especially in Texas, its just too damn hot. I've even seen a few decked out in military black BDU pants and boots, or just cargo shorts and a polo. As long as the uniform is kept clean and tidy, I don't see a problem with it. But then again I'm 23 years old.

Topic author
1TallTXn

Post by 1TallTXn »

cyphur wrote: As for the uniforms, have to roll with the times. Cops are moving away from the pressed uniforms for bicycle cops, and some patrol cops - especially in Texas, its just too darn hot. I've even seen a few decked out in military black BDU pants and boots, or just cargo shorts and a polo. As long as the uniform is kept clean and tidy, I don't see a problem with it. But then again I'm 23 years old.
I understand the idea behind the uniform change, just doesn't seem to be as professional.

FWIW i'm only 23 myself. maybe i'm old fashioned ;-)

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

1TallTXn wrote:
I understand the idea behind the uniform change, just doesn't seem to be as professional.

FWIW i'm only 23 myself. maybe i'm old fashioned ;-)
To each their own. Its definitely not traditional but I'd rather the officer be comfortable going about their day.

Angry, frustrated or otherwise upset people often make poor decisions.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

1TallTXn wrote:Trooper asks if I'm armed. I say yes, on the right hip. He asks me to exit the vehicle. I've got both hands on the window frame as I exit. Walk back to the car and he says "I like to be the only one with a gun here" and proceeds to disarm me.
Government Code 411.207 says, "A peace officer ... may disarm a license holder at any time the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the license holder, officer, or another individual."

I'd like to hear this trooper articulate his reasonable belief that disarming you was necessary for his protection. Same for any other officer who has a blanket policy of disarming all CHLs.

Kevin

WNallG30

Post by WNallG30 »

I agree Tall, sounds like generally OK stops, but couldv'e been better. The uniform thing, I used to feel the same way, police should look like police. But now I've softened up a little. My brother has to wear heavyweight material, pressed and starched uniforms all the time. His only option for summer wear is short sleeves. Add the vest, and Lord knows how many pounds of gear, it makes for a long day. I've seen him literally wring out his undershirt after a shift. I would rather not see shorts other than on bike patrol, but I can live with a polo shirt.

I'm a big fan of the speedometer now. I got a few too many tickets and now I have to pay a yearly surcharge till I get the points off my license. Now I'm a stickler for the speed limit!

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

PWK wrote:"he's fighting the safety which doesn't allow the slide to move and has the muzzle pointed at his left kidney. I'm a little worried he's going to make it go off. "

Reading this just gave me a horrible thought:
Worst case scenario: Officer has a problem with the gun and manages to shoot himself with it. He grabs his radio and shouts OFFICER DOWN.

6 trigger happy officers show up a minuite later...
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Topic author
1TallTXn

Post by 1TallTXn »

nitrogen wrote:
PWK wrote:"he's fighting the safety which doesn't allow the slide to move and has the muzzle pointed at his left kidney. I'm a little worried he's going to make it go off. "

Worst case scenario: Officer has a problem with the gun and manages to shoot himself with it. He grabs his radio and shouts OFFICER DOWN.

Yup, that thought went through my head. I was really hoping he had a video camera in his car as I was standing at the grille and he was in his open drivers door. so hopefully the camera would see me, hands clearly visible and hear that he shot himself. The passengers in my truck couldn't see what was happening for the couches in the back. <shudder>

I do agree that officers should be comfortable, and I guess I need to adapt to changing times. it is bloody hot in TX. I know, I was sitting on that bike at 12:30PM in full solid Textile motorcycle gear. its HOT!

I guess it doesn't help that the Keene PD doesn't have the best reputation anyway. I've not personally had problems with them but know numerous people who dislike their "professionalism"

Commander
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Commander »

1TallTXn wrote:
nitrogen wrote:

Yup, that thought went through my head. I was really hoping he had a video camera in his car
"
As a matter of information, ALL state trooper Black & Whites are equipped with Video cameras.

Coming real soon: Black & White Hemi-Dodge Chargers - watch your rear view mirrors...
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

Those chargers are all over the place with town/city PDs up here.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”