another Dallas shooting

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
texanjoker

another Dallas shooting

Post by texanjoker »

Yet another in a series of controversial shootings coming out of Dallas.

Dallas police officers say they killed a man after he took a stun gun from an officer and pointed it at them.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Dallas ... 43511.html

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: another Dallas shooting

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm not sure I understand the report as to the number of officers on the scene. It appears there were at least two.

If it was a single officer, then in my opinion it was a good shooting as the Taser would have incapacitated the officer rendering him defenseless. If there were two or more officers, using deadly force to stop a person from using non-lethal force doesn't seem justified. Even if one officer were to be incapacitated by the Taser, others could have prevented him from being further injured or killed.

Chas.

Topic author
texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'm not sure I understand the report as to the number of officers on the scene. It appears there were at least two.

If it was a single officer, then in my opinion it was a good shooting as the Taser would have incapacitated the officer rendering him defenseless. If there were two or more officers, using deadly force to stop a person from using non-lethal force doesn't seem justified. Even if one officer were to be incapacitated by the Taser, others could have prevented him from being further injured or killed.

Chas.
:iagree: I would not want to be in his shoes or for that matter any leo that is in an ois. I wonder what he was trained to do in taser training for this scenario? The only other explanation I could think of is that when somebody yelled he had the "stun gun", the leo heard "gun", and saw a pointed object and fired? That could be plausible. I wonder if their tasers are black or yellow? I'm sure time will tell after they investigate and release data. Dallas seems pretty quick on releasing data.

I also partially blame the way things are evolving. Back in the day when I started you carried a baton of some sort OR a flashlight. You were taught to go hands on. Then the public complained and wanted this or that. Now a leo has OC, taser, bean bag shot guns and pepperballs. They are taught to not go 'hands on' and IMO it shows in incidents like this and others.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Now this is a scenario I haven't given much thought to and maybe neither has LEO training because it's not something I've ever heard mentioned. I have been thru various force training's and have come to the conclusion that if I was attacked by someone with chemical spray and the attack was ongoing I would have to respond with deadly force because while I can operate for a short period of time it would be limited and I would then be at the mercy of the attacker. If someone pulled a taser I feel like the only way to ensure my safety would be to "shoot". In a police situation I'm not sure what one should do. Not that there is a single answer because it depends on to many variables but one things for sure it doesn't seem like an easy answer to me.

Tic Tac

Post by Tic Tac »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:IIf there were two or more officers, using deadly force to stop a person from using non-lethal force doesn't seem justified.
The PD got themselves in a bit of a pickle if there were multiple cops on scene. They can either hang the officer ou to dry for excessive force OR they can argue that these devices are so dangerous that they should count as lethal force when cops use them on drunks, etc.

Either way, it will be interesting for normal citizens to follow. Depending on the testimony, it could help a citizen articulate why they shot someone who "only" had a taser or stungun. After all, with some exceptions, many of us don't have armed backup who can bail us out if we get zapped.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

i thought tasers were less leathel...

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

cheezit wrote:i thought tasers were less leathel...
Oh, there you go getting all commonsensical on us. However, I was thinking the same thing and Charles' scenario and thinking I'm glad I'm not in either of their shoes.

It could have been any of these possibilities expressed here.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Tic Tac wrote: Either way, it will be interesting for normal citizens to follow. Depending on the testimony, it could help a citizen articulate why they shot someone who "only" had a taser or stungun. After all, with some exceptions, many of us don't have armed backup who can bail us out if we get zapped.

Can't they argue that this guy committed a felony and might have done great harm to the general public?
I completely agree with Chas on this, BTW, but I think there is a way out for these guys for sure.

Topic author
bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

cb1000rider wrote:might have done great harm to the general public
Minority Report?

jmra

Post by jmra »

bizarrenormality wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:might have done great harm to the general public
Minority Report?
I was thinking the same thing.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

cb1000rider wrote:Can't they argue that this guy committed a felony and might have done great harm to the general public?
Are they going to start shooting drunk drivers now?
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Reminds me of an episode of NCIS. Bad guy pulls a tazer on the group and even when they point out that he can only hit one of them he still tazes McGee. :lol:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”