Emory police chief facebook post.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 13

Emory police chief facebook post.

Post by nightmare69 »

EMORY, TX (KLTV) - Emory, a city in Raines County, is considering adding new social media policies to their rule book. This comes after the city's police chief took to Facebook to voice his opinion about the termination of the Rains County deputy who shot a dog while responding to a 911 call in April.
http://www.kltv.com/story/25557392/emor ... ty-concern" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems many citizens believe that cops should not be able to defend themselves until they are dodging bullets, bleeding out from knife wound, or a dog is trying to rip your arm off. I also believe that the deputy made a split second decision that turned out to be wrong. While the media and citizens have months to pick it apart, you may only have a fraction of a second to decide to engage or retreat.

All this "cop hate" is no surprise anymore. People love to hate them until they need them. Sure there are bad cops and good cops who make bad decisions, but the vast majority are good cops who put their life on the line for someone they never met. We rarely hear about those, public only wants the dirt to further fuel their hate and paint all cops with a broad brush do to the actions of a few. Kinda sounds like the same mindset of the anti gunners saying that guns should be outlawed due to the actions of a couple of psychos. Im sure Ill make a plenty of mistakes learning the career that will rub the person Im dealing with the wrong way, oh well Im learning.

I guess this chief had enough from the public voicing their opinion so he voiced his and now the public's jimmies are rustled. A cop exercising his right to freedom of speech is now frowned upon and offensive. I read a comment that cops should not be allowed to carry guns either so they can't hurt or kill any people or animals. Really?

So tell me what you think of this police chief's comments and also why there is so much cop hate in this century.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Selina Kyle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Emory police chief facebook post.

Post by Selina Kyle »

I personally don't understand cop hate. These ladies and gentlemen put their lives on the line for complete strangers. That in itself makes me give them 100% respect. Are there "bad cops" out there? Well, sure, but there are also bad waiters, bad doctors, bad mechanics, etc. Of course I hate that the dog ended up dying, but I do not any any way feel that I am qualified to pass judgement on the officer that shot her. I have no idea what I would have done.

As for the Facebook comments, perhaps it wasn't the wisest choice to post that, BUT, it is his personal page, and he has every right to voice his opinions. It seems like so many people are just looking for reasons to complain.

You won't hear me bash a police officer. In fact, may God bless and protect them. :patriot:
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

I don't have any issues with LEOs. I do have a problem with someone who shoots a dog for no good reason regardless of what they do for a living.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

ELB

Post by ELB »

Interesting that you think the police chief was "exercising his right to freedom of speech" but the public was getting its "jimmies rustled."

Did you consider that maybe it was the chief who was getting his jimmies rustled at the public's exercise of free speech?

The chief's comments were foolish and petulant. Personal Facebook page or not, as a chief of police -- heck, just as a police officer -- he is not just a private citizen anymore. He represents his department and the city, and when he speaks or acts foolishly, it does reflect badly on both, and the city is correct to put a headlock on him when he does so. A police officer, patrolman or chief, holds a special position in society. It comes with special powers, but it also comes with special responsibilities to act deliberately, rationally, soberly, which the police chief (and quite possibly the deputy) failed to meet in this instance. He could had just as easily explained in general how tough it can be on a call, but instead his monkey brain(1) grabbed control of his mouth and he spouted off childishly (and jumped in the middle of the sheriff's personnel issues -- I'll bet that went over well with him).

True for him, true for any police officer. Don't like it, find a job that doesn't have those requirements. There are people hate cops in general and will never have a good thing to say, but there are cops who are heavy into the power given them and not so much into the responsibilities, and they provide much fodder for cop negative stories(2). Cops shouldn't be "bashed" mindlessly, but neither should they get free passes for anything they do.

(1) This book " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was written for law enforcement, and should be mandatory reading at the police academy, the military staff schools, any course on management, leadership, communication, teaching, and especially anyone who is not a hermit. Go read it now.
(2) Classic case of cop abusing his powers, endangers citizens, another cop calls him on it -- and dozens of other cops dump on her for it. http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2014/feb ... d-and-arr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

When I joined the Air Force, I was told that while I was in uniform (or, by extension, identifying myself as a member of the Air Force) that I would be representing the Air Force in deed, voice and action (remember, this was in 1969 and anti-Vietnam rallies were quite popular). If I was not wearing the uniform or ID'ing myself as a service member, I could say and do most anything, but not while in uniform.

Seems to me the Chief kinda forgot that he represented the department, and the city, when he spoke out. Maybe he shouldn't have forgotten that.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

mojo84
Posts in topic: 10

Post by mojo84 »

Because I am critical of bad cops and dislike some of the tactics used doesn't make me a cop hater.

Do all people consider all cops bad since some are? No, but some do.

Do all cops view all citizens as criminals because they deal with so many criminals for a living? No, but some do.

I can tell you, with the paramilitary tactics and attitudes along with the bad cops doing bad things, the animosity toward cops will continue to grow.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Mail carriers and utility repairmen contend with aggressive dogs everyday without the use of lethal force. The LEO's have access to mace and asps just as readily as to their side arm. As we all know, just because you can doesnt mean you should.

A policeman has power that the average citizen doesnt. In using this power it's important that he exercise good judgement. In this case the chief doesnt leave me with confidence in his judgment.

I always give the LEO the benefit of the doubt, but Im not naive.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Jim Beaux wrote:Mail carriers and utility repairmen contend with aggressive dogs everyday without the use of lethal force. The LEO's have access to mace and asps just as readily as to their side arm. As we all know, just because you can doesnt mean you should.

A policeman has power that the average citizen doesnt. In using this power it's important that he exercise good judgement. In this case the chief doesnt leave me with confidence in his judgment.

You mentioned mace and asps, but what about the tasers? I am not sure i have heard of an officer using one on a dog before.

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jason K »

Here's a good idea....let's have our chiefs of police objectively review the facts of a case before spouting off on social media and embarassing themselves and those they answer to who happen to be elected by the folks that those same chiefs are sniping at....

Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not embarass the boss....

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Post by anygunanywhere »

Any segment of society that considers themselves above factual criticism are making themselves out to be elitist. LEO bashing is and should be forbidden on this forum. In the same manner we, myself included often bash those we disagree with to one degree or another. In the end, determination of whether or not a statement is bashing is totally subjective.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

MechAg94 wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:Mail carriers and utility repairmen contend with aggressive dogs everyday without the use of lethal force. The LEO's have access to mace and asps just as readily as to their side arm. As we all know, just because you can doesnt mean you should.

You mentioned mace and asps, but what about the tasers? I am not sure i have heard of an officer using one on a dog before.
I'm looking at pictures off the cell phone video that the owner took and all I see on his duty belt is a firearm and radio. If he didn't have OC or ASP available that is the county's problem, if it was available and he chose to not carry it then it's on him.

Does it look bad that the chief posted that comment, yes. However, I've yet to see anyone address the actual comment. All people are doing is attacking his role as a chief.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

nightmare69 wrote:So tell me what you think of this police chief's comments and also why there is so much cop hate in this century.
You've asked for two things. First, I have no problem with what the chief said, the way he said it or the forum he used. We'd all be better off if cops could interact with us on social media. Perhaps some might learn what it's like to be a cop and change their attitude.

With regard to the second part, I'm not sure there is "so much copy hate in this century". There's always been an element of the public that is very unforgiving of cops. I'm not sure that's changed, except that social media makes it more accessible. To the extent that it is growing (if it is), I think it has to do with the militarization of the police. The more cops place barriers between themselves and the public, the easier it is for misunderstandings to arise. When cops start driving around in WRAPs dressed in battle gear and carrying automatic weapons, I get concerned about where all this is heading.

I read an article about a small town Indiana department that just got an MWRAP. The Chief was talking about how much more dangerous it is now than it used to be, how the bad guys are better and more heavily armed and how the cops are outgunned. The facts don't support that. So the Chief is reacting emotionally and preparing his department for a scenario that is quite unlikely to happen. The scary part is that they're not going to leave that MWRAP parked. They're going to use it, even though they'd be fine without it. Plus, when you train and gear up like the military, it's human nature to take on a military persona. All of this leads to a very dark place that I don't think we should be headed toward. Nothing good can come from it. And it exacerbates the tensions between cops and citizens.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

anygunanywhere wrote:Any segment of society that considers themselves above factual criticism are making themselves out to be elitist. LEO bashing is and should be forbidden on this forum. In the same manner we, myself included often bash those we disagree with to one degree or another. In the end, determination of whether or not a statement is bashing is totally subjective.

Anygunanywhere

I would respectfully argue that, on the whole, law enforcement has reached a point of they themselves not understanding that they are CIVILIAN servants- that is, they themselves are civilians that serve other civilians. I was raised in a time gone by where they earned the respect they were given.

I strongly believe that looking at the facts, events show that there is a definite trend towards police being the largest violators of the law. They regularly break traffic laws, violate the 1st, 2nd and 4th amendments, and in general ignore the law in the name of false hot pursuit.

Incidents during Katrina, the Boston Marathon, the NYC sidewalk shootings, no knock warrant execution, incorrect warrant execution and numerous poor judgement shootings show us that these civilians with "special rights" have extended into the realm of being a dangerous element in society.

They need to be held criminally and civilly liable for their mistakes and we must enforce the rule of law upon them. That means if it is illegal for citizens to do something, in all cases these "special" civilians should be held to the same standard. And yep, that means they can't carry some weapons, have armored vehicles or drones if other citizens can't.

I am in no way saying all LEO are criminals, but you must definitely see that any citizen that is afforded rights above and beyond other citizens is a danger, and is a lawbreaker themselves. Sadly, in today's LEO ranks, we have a high number of civilians that have the insatiable desire to "be the boss" without the ability to succeed without an artificial grant of authority. These are largely folks who are incapable of succeeding at jobs in other fields, and they seek this artificial power. These ranks are growing, and tarnish the genuine servants in the ranks.

Food for thought from just today's news:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -stop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Post by anygunanywhere »

chamberc wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Any segment of society that considers themselves above factual criticism are making themselves out to be elitist. LEO bashing is and should be forbidden on this forum. In the same manner we, myself included often bash those we disagree with to one degree or another. In the end, determination of whether or not a statement is bashing is totally subjective.

Anygunanywhere

I would respectfully argue that, on the whole, law enforcement has reached a point of they themselves not understanding that they are CIVILIAN servants- that is, they themselves are civilians that serve other civilians. I was raised in a time gone by where they earned the respect they were given.

I strongly believe that looking at the facts, events show that there is a definite trend towards police being the largest violators of the law. They regularly break traffic laws, violate the 1st, 2nd and 4th amendments, and in general ignore the law in the name of false hot pursuit.

Incidents during Katrina, the Boston Marathon, the NYC sidewalk shootings, no knock warrant execution, incorrect warrant execution and numerous poor judgement shootings show us that these civilians with "special rights" have extended into the realm of being a dangerous element in society.

They need to be held criminally and civilly liable for their mistakes and we must enforce the rule of law upon them. That means if it is illegal for citizens to do something, in all cases these "special" civilians should be held to the same standard. And yep, that means they can't carry some weapons, have armored vehicles or drones if other citizens can't.

I am in no way saying all LEO are criminals, but you must definitely see that any citizen that is afforded rights above and beyond other citizens is a danger, and is a lawbreaker themselves. Sadly, in today's LEO ranks, we have a high number of civilians that have the insatiable desire to "be the boss" without the ability to succeed without an artificial grant of authority. These are largely folks who are incapable of succeeding at jobs in other fields, and they seek this artificial power. These ranks are growing, and tarnish the genuine servants in the ranks.

Food for thought from just today's news:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -stop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the post. I doubt if I would use the Daily Mail to back up anything I said.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Should swat and other tactical response teams be allowed to use firearms and equipment not legal for the general public to own? Like full auto weapons, flash bangs, MRAPS etc.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”