12/6/14 - LEO tries to delete video of him confronting OC

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 12/6/14 - LEO tries to delete video of him confronting O

Post by Vol Texan »

PSTL*PAKR wrote:Now this is going a little too borderline/ far. Lets not start bashing LEO's, because you all know this forums just seems to think that no LEO is ever capable of doing anything wrong...Lots think they ARE Leo's.
I don't think this is true. This forum is not a place for blatant LEO bashing, but there are plenty of places here where there is significant enough doubt that the LEO was in the right, and the conversations have supporters on both sides.

As long as we keep it professional here, there's rarely a problem. When it raises to the level of personal attacks or blatant LEO bashing, then certainly the axe gets dropped on a conversation, as it well should.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

srothstein wrote:It is also illegal to lie about your name, date of birth, or home address to a police officer if you are a suspect or witness to a crime. You do not have to answer at all, but you may not lie about it. That is in 38.02 Failure to ID, which it is obvious that HPD does not know very well.
I don't know this very well either. It seems quite fuzzy to me. How am I to know if I'm a suspect or not? They don't have to tell me, right? I know I wasn't involved in a crime, but the officer may not know that and if I'm considered a suspect then I must ID myself, right?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

C-dub wrote:
srothstein wrote:It is also illegal to lie about your name, date of birth, or home address to a police officer if you are a suspect or witness to a crime. You do not have to answer at all, but you may not lie about it. That is in 38.02 Failure to ID, which it is obvious that HPD does not know very well.
I don't know this very well either. It seems quite fuzzy to me. How am I to know if I'm a suspect or not? They don't have to tell me, right? I know I wasn't involved in a crime, but the officer may not know that and if I'm considered a suspect then I must ID myself, right?
In this case, what is the OC guy suspected of? The answer is nothing. The idea that the officer tells him "how do I know you not lying to me?" and "how do I know you're not a felon carrying a firearm?" simply infuriates me.

I can't stand the OC guys and I think their protests have done nothing for their cause, but I can't stand to see one of them harassed like this. If there is one thing their protests have done is show how some law enforcement will react to law abiding citizen exercising their rights. That alone is scary.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

This is a situation where the officers are clearly wrong, unless there is something we do not see in the video (highly unlikely based on the officers statement about deleting video). This is clearly a First Amendment violation, and both officers should have known that. The Fourth Amendment violations are just as bad, or worse, especially when you consider that LEOs should know far more about Fourth Amendment protections than First Amendment Protections. These officers went full Cartman on the protester and should face a criminal investigation by state authorities as well as civil penalties in court from the protester.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

PSTL*PAKR wrote:Now this is going a little too borderline/ far. Lets not start bashing LEO's, because you all know this forums just seems to think that no LEO is ever capable of doing anything wrong...Lots think they ARE Leo's.
Well, according to your avatar you must feel the same about yourself?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Keith B wrote:
Well, according to your avatar you must feel the same about yourself?
:hurry: :lol: I was just going to say the same. A guy with a CHL badge for an avatar is criticizing the membership with a false charge that lots of us think we are LEOs.

Just....

....wow.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cb1000rider »

Hindenburg wrote:A citizen keeping and bearing arms is not bad behavior.
A thug in uniform intimidating citizens is bad behavior.
I agree with you in theory. In reality, many would say that walking around your neighborhood (or mine) with an AR is bad behavior. Although the legal reality might be that LEOs "can't do anything" - I'll bet that most of them try to do something, if to do nothing more than flush out what is going on...

Intimidating citizens.. I guess I'm just starting to expect it.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

My suggestion for OC protestors carrying AR15s is to bring your lawyer with you and have him wear a Tshirt that says "I'm the idiots lawyer".
There are just so many better ways to make a point and educate the public that doesn't result in this type of confrontation.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

jmra wrote:My suggestion for OC protestors carrying AR15s is to bring your lawyer with you and have him wear a Tshirt that says "I'm the idiots lawyer".
There are just so many better ways to make a point and educate the public that doesn't result in this type of confrontation.
:iagree:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

I hear you guys. Things would be very different if only those troublemakers at the North Bridge weren't open carrying long guns in defiance of the authorities.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

bayouhazard wrote:I hear you guys. Things would be very different if only those troublemakers at the North Bridge weren't open carrying long guns in defiance of the authorities.
Nice try but that dog don't hunt.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Let me see if I've got this straight: one has to have ID to stroll about but none is needed to vote? :headscratch

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

So if OC passes, it will be just fine for an officer to demand ID just for carry a pistol on the hip.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by EEllis »

Texas_Blaze wrote:So if OC passes, it will be just fine for an officer to demand ID just for carry a pistol on the hip.
Unlikely but they won't have to tell you why they are asking anymore than they are required to tell you why you were stopped when pulled over driving a car. They would most likely need reasonable suspicion depending on the phrasing of the law. If by some chance a law was passed that did allow them to ID anyone open carrying I still doubt most cops would bother once they got used to OC.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cb1000rider »

Texas_Blaze wrote:So if OC passes, it will be just fine for an officer to demand ID just for carry a pistol on the hip.
They can ask at any time for any reason. Heck, they can even demand... It doesn't change anything.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”