Weird Encounter in Louisiana… not sure if 'real'

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 4

Weird Encounter in Louisiana… not sure if 'real'

Post by Scott in Houston »

Coming back from Florida with my family, I had an unmarked vehicle (a pickup truck) get right on my rear bumper on I-10.
Traffic was solid in all 3 lanes. The left lane was moving the fastest, so I was in the left lane.

Well, the guy in the truck was flashing his lights at me as if to move over. Generally, I'll consider because I've been in an emergency myself where I have needed that same response from others.
When I looked in my mirror more closely, I saw that the guy was holding up his smart-phone in the windshield and it was flashing red/blue on the screen. Now I'm thinking he's some wanna-be or pretending to be a police officer, so I didn't move over as my lane was the fast lane, and I'm not wanting this guy next to me either. Also, I'm not wanting to reward his behavior.

When traffic breaks a bit, he is still flashing lights, honking, and then pulls up next to me and shows me his phone again with the lights … emphasizing that I should have respected that. He's clearly angry.
The thing is… he didn't speed on past as if on a true emergency after that. He just drove along and finally exited. Showing me the phone again.

What the heck?? Has anyone heard of this? Is it legit? I can't imagine it is, or anyone could easily download or create their own app for their phone, but it was Louisiana, so I wouldn't be surprised considering their goofy laws.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Weird Encounter in Louisiana… not sure if 'real'

Post by Javier730 »

I personally would of tried to get his license plates and reported it to the police. You never know what someones intentions are.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

:iagree: I have an app that does that exact thing on my iphone. I will bet he was NOT a cop.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TVGuy »

Keith B wrote::iagree: I have an app that does that exact thing on my iphone. I will bet he was NOT a cop.
Keith, were you in Louisiana over the weekend? :biggrinjester:

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

TVGuy wrote:
Keith B wrote::iagree: I have an app that does that exact thing on my iphone. I will bet he was NOT a cop.
That would explain a lot... :tiphat: :biggrinjester:

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

heck who knows he may have been a cop. There are all sorts of little departments and one or two person forces and that doesn't even include reserves or "honorary" officers which used to be a big issue in Louisiana. I will say real or not his use of his phone as a strobe is absurd and no one should ever expect anyone to take anybody seriously who is using that. I would of immediately called the state police on the Yo-Yo because even if the guy was some sort of cop I don't think they would have been real amused with his use of his phone.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

I should have called the police. I'll be honest though. I was with my family, and we had been driving for hours and family was hungry, etc.
I didn't want to look up the non-emergency phone number for the police and hassle with it.
Also, I was a bit caught off guard. It was odd, and I was shocked that someone would actually believe that I would respect an iPhone App the same as flashing lights on an emergency response vehicle!

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

My personal rule is that if someone wants to be a jerk, I let them. I would've let the guy through when convenient and been done with it.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

TexasCajun wrote:My personal rule is that if someone wants to be a jerk, I let them. I would've let the guy through when convenient and been done with it.
I keep striving for this, but sometimes my inner redneck takes over.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

BigGuy wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:My personal rule is that if someone wants to be a jerk, I let them. I would've let the guy through when convenient and been done with it.
I keep striving for this, but sometimes my inner redneck takes over.
As a matter of humility, I claim progress rather than perfection. I strive and work for this as well. Some days it's easy. Other days, not so much. But I keep trying no matter what.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Scott in Houston wrote:I should have called the police. I'll be honest though. I was with my family, and we had been driving for hours and family was hungry, etc.
I didn't want to look up the non-emergency phone number for the police and hassle with it.
Also, I was a bit caught off guard. It was odd, and I was shocked that someone would actually believe that I would respect an iPhone App the same as flashing lights on an emergency response vehicle!
Why did you feel like you couldn't call 911? Someone doing that is possibly a threat....you have no idea what he really represents or what his intentions are. I'd have called 911 and reported someone behaving oddly, following me, and possibly attempting to impersonate a police officer. I think if he was a cop and wanted you to pull over and you didn't he would have called for assistance from a marked vehicle.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
Scott in Houston

VMI77 wrote:
Scott in Houston wrote:I should have called the police. I'll be honest though. I was with my family, and we had been driving for hours and family was hungry, etc.
Why did you feel like you couldn't call 911? Someone doing that is possibly a threat....you have no idea what he really represents or what his intentions are. I'd have called 911 and reported someone behaving oddly, following me, and possibly attempting to impersonate a police officer. I think if he was a cop and wanted you to pull over and you didn't he would have called for assistance from a marked vehicle.

Good point. It just didn't feel worthy at the time. I just try and avoid calling 911 unless I feel like it's a true emergency, and it just didn't, but the context you put it in shows that I probably should have.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

TVGuy wrote:
Maybe, but i don't drive a pickup. ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

Call 911....and Google Map the directions to the local police station. Nothing police officers like better than a felon delivered right to their door.... :mrgreen:

jmra

Post by jmra »

Scott in Houston wrote:
VMI77 wrote:

Good point. It just didn't feel worthy at the time. I just try and avoid calling 911 unless I feel like it's a true emergency, and it just didn't, but the context you put it in shows that I probably should have.
In La you can reach the state police by dialing *LSP. They would want to know about idiots like this one.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”