Gang members with LTC

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1


talltex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:40 pm
Location: Waco area

Re: Gang members with LTC

#16

Post by talltex » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:01 am

nightmare69 wrote:When I was in a gang training course taught by a local gang detective, he said that our area(also the area of my campus)is starting to see known gang members with valid LTC. The kicker is if they are not involved in any criminal activity there is nothing we can do about it because there isn't any stipulation forbidding gang members from applying for a LTC.
You are seeking a solution to a non-existent problem. If the individual qualifies to receive a LTC and is not involved in any criminal activity, there is no reason you should be able to revoke the LTC. By definition, you have just described a law abiding citizen. The fact that you don't approve of his friends, for whatever reason, is not justification for revoking the LTC. WHEN and IF the individual violates a law or commits a revocable offense, the situation is resolved, but not before then. "Innocent until PROVEN guilty beyond a reasonable doubt"...sound familiar?
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

User avatar

A-R
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5776
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: Austin area

Re: Gang members with LTC

#17

Post by A-R » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:05 am

What you're wanting is to incriminate someone you acknowledge has a clean criminal record (they qualified for LTC) because of who they choose to associate. Slippery slope only touches the surface of how wrong that line of thinking is. I fully understand the problem of criminal gangs, but guilt by association is a bridge too far. If they're truly involved in gang activity, they will soon enough violate statutes that disqualify their LTC.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6906
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Gang members with LTC

#18

Post by anygunanywhere » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:30 am

If your suggestion was ever actually to become law then the same law could be used against those members of organizations tracked by groups like the SPLC. They classify many of us who are members of patriot organizations as domestic terrorist and anti-government which is a total fabrication.

As others have stated, this is a slippery slope. In fact, it is dangerous.
1911s should be carried openly as God and John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended them to be.
III%

User avatar

E.Marquez
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:48 pm
Location: Kempner
Contact:

Re: Gang members with LTC

#19

Post by E.Marquez » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:53 am

Pawpaw wrote:Based on the stats of crimes committed by LTC holders, I would say this is a complete non-problem. :tiphat:
THIS ^^^
IMHO, it proves this is a solution looking for a problem.. Not a problem in need of a solution.

I respect the LEO who has to accept a very small number of LTC's have the license for the wrong reason, but really, what does it matter. a Smart LEO will be approaching known or suspected gang member with an assumption they are armed.... so wither its armed legally, or armed illegally, it would seem to make no difference. the gang member is assumed to have a gun.
No words or opinions I post in this forum are intended to be offensive to any member here.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3603
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Gang members with LTC

#20

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:44 pm

flintknapper wrote:
(d) "Criminal street gang" means three or more persons having a common identifying sign or symbol or an identifiable leadership who continuously or regularly associate in the commission of criminal activities. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/ ... yshfZ.dpuf
^^^^^^^^^^^
Could be pretty tough to prove.
Most political parties fit this definition, IMHO.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4582
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Gang members with LTC

#21

Post by Jusme » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:47 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
(d) "Criminal street gang" means three or more persons having a common identifying sign or symbol or an identifiable leadership who continuously or regularly associate in the commission of criminal activities. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/ ... yshfZ.dpuf
^^^^^^^^^^^
Could be pretty tough to prove.
Most political parties fit this definition, IMHO.

Yeah maybe LTC reasons to deny should include any congressional service in the previous 5 years!!

"rlol" "rlol"
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

flintknapper
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 4851
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: Gang members with LTC

#22

Post by flintknapper » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:43 pm

nightmare69 wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
(d) "Criminal street gang" means three or more persons having a common identifying sign or symbol or an identifiable leadership who continuously or regularly associate in the commission of criminal activities. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/ ... yshfZ.dpuf
^^^^^^^^^^^
Could be pretty tough to prove.
Issue we have is there is no defenition of a sole "gang member" nor is it a crime to be one.

Yes Sir, pretty much my point.

I am not against pro-active law enforcement...to the extent it can reasonably prevent crime and does not infringe upon rights.

We would all love to see less crime and/or the potential for it. But in some cases...we are simply forced to be reactive. At that point, I believe harsh penalties and less plea bargaining might be the more useful tool.

Keep doing what you can. :tiphat:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

User avatar

chamberc
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:45 pm
Location: Las Colinas

Re: Gang members with LTC

#23

Post by chamberc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:19 am

nightmare69 wrote:There needs to be some stipulation that allows LE to be able to revoke their license if we can prove they are a gang member.
"LE" citizens should not have any allowance to revoke anything. That's what courts are for.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

User avatar

jbirds1210
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3363
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:36 pm
Location: Texas City, Texas

Re: Gang members with LTC

#24

Post by jbirds1210 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:23 am

Law Enforcement at a local level keep contacts with known/admitted street gang members and have the ability to flag them as such for their safety. It may cause some heartburn, but I want to know on the side of the road. I know the prison system classifies them by their tattoos, known affiliates, and intelligence gained from their mail. In my experience the punishment for being a gang member is in the form of an enhancement to an original crime and is well documented.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8399
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Gang members with LTC

#25

Post by Abraham » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:30 am

Valid legal particulars aside, my sympathies lie with nightmare69.

User avatar

Topic author
nightmare69
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 2024
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Gang members with LTC

#26

Post by nightmare69 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:21 pm

chamberc wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:There needs to be some stipulation that allows LE to be able to revoke their license if we can prove they are a gang member.
"LE" citizens should not have any allowance to revoke anything. That's what courts are for.
We should be able to fill out the paperwork to send to DPS as we do now when we arrest a LTC holder. Then they suspend the license pending final disposition. The process should be the same for a gang member.

Does anyone know if they ask if you are a gang member on the LTC application?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

User avatar

Javier730
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:29 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Gang members with LTC

#27

Post by Javier730 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:54 pm

nightmare69 wrote:
chamberc wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:There needs to be some stipulation that allows LE to be able to revoke their license if we can prove they are a gang member.
"LE" citizens should not have any allowance to revoke anything. That's what courts are for.
We should be able to fill out the paperwork to send to DPS as we do now when we arrest a LTC holder. Then they suspend the license pending final disposition. The process should be the same for a gang member.

Does anyone know if they ask if you are a gang member on the LTC application?
How would you prove someone is in a street gang if they aren't caught committing crimes? What probable cause do you use to stop and identify someone, if they aren't committing crimes. You would need their identification so you know who's name to submit to the DPS. Do you stop someone who you believe may look like a gang member?
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann


talltex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:40 pm
Location: Waco area

Re: Gang members with LTC

#28

Post by talltex » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:40 am

nightmare69 wrote: We should be able to fill out the paperwork to send to DPS as we do now when we arrest a LTC holder. Then they suspend the license pending final disposition. The process should be the same for a gang member.
EXACTLY!! WHEN you ARREST an LTC holder....at that point the same principle applies...not before. The problem is, you are wanting to be able to circumvent the legal process and revoke someone BEFORE they've actually committed any offense. You seek to appoint yourself judge and jury and declare someone guilty because, in your opinion, they MIGHT do something at some point in the future. That is just wrong!
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6906
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Gang members with LTC

#29

Post by anygunanywhere » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:36 am

talltex wrote:
nightmare69 wrote: We should be able to fill out the paperwork to send to DPS as we do now when we arrest a LTC holder. Then they suspend the license pending final disposition. The process should be the same for a gang member.
EXACTLY!! WHEN you ARREST an LTC holder....at that point the same principle applies...not before. The problem is, you are wanting to be able to circumvent the legal process and revoke someone BEFORE they've actually committed any offense. You seek to appoint yourself judge and jury and declare someone guilty because, in your opinion, they MIGHT do something at some point in the future. That is just wrong!
Ummmm, if you arrest them you can do the paperwork to pull their LTC. That sounds like police work. Investigate. Arrest.
1911s should be carried openly as God and John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended them to be.
III%

User avatar

Topic author
nightmare69
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 2024
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Gang members with LTC

#30

Post by nightmare69 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:31 pm

Javier730 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
chamberc wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:There needs to be some stipulation that allows LE to be able to revoke their license if we can prove they are a gang member.
"LE" citizens should not have any allowance to revoke anything. That's what courts are for.
We should be able to fill out the paperwork to send to DPS as we do now when we arrest a LTC holder. Then they suspend the license pending final disposition. The process should be the same for a gang member.

Does anyone know if they ask if you are a gang member on the LTC application?
How would you prove someone is in a street gang if they aren't caught committing crimes? What probable cause do you use to stop and identify someone, if they aren't committing crimes. You would need their identification so you know who's name to submit to the DPS. Do you stop someone who you believe may look like a gang member?
I work for a private university and can usually tell if someone doesn't belong there. It's not hard to spot gang tattoos and clothing style. On private property I can tell someone to leave because I don't like the color of their shoes so yes, I approach these people regularly.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Post Reply

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”