Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B


BBYC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#16

Post by BBYC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:20 pm

Yes. I know where every firearm and every round of ammunition is at all times. If I am not wearing it or using it, it is locked up and on camera. It is called not having enough guns.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.


montgomery
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 8:13 am
Location: Montgomery, Texas

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#17

Post by montgomery » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:28 pm

BBYC wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:20 pm
Yes. I know where every firearm and every round of ammunition is at all times. If I am not wearing it or using it, it is locked up and on camera. It is called not having enough guns.
You sound like my wife.


montgomery
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 8:13 am
Location: Montgomery, Texas

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#18

Post by montgomery » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:58 pm

My daughter was killed by a gun stolen out of an unlocked vehicle so excuse me if I am among those that consider not knowing where firearms are or leaving them accessible to others not authorized to have access as reckless and irresponsible.

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6161
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#19

Post by Pawpaw » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Teamless,

Take a close look at your door locks. What they do now is to jamb a flat-bladed screwdriver in the key slot and then twist it with pliers or a wrench. It breaks the lock internally and the only sign it ever happened is that the key slot is mangled.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Topic author
Teamless
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#20

Post by Teamless » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:33 pm

montgomery wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:58 pm
My daughter was killed by a gun stolen out of an unlocked vehicle so excuse me if I am among those that consider not knowing where firearms are or leaving them accessible to others not authorized to have access as reckless and irresponsible.
I am sorry for your loss.

Understand:
Do I sound HAPPY my gun was stolen?
No
Do I understand the possible ramifications?
Of course


Unless she was killed in the past few days, it wasn’t my gun

And it still doesn’t, in my book anyway, give the right to be on your righteous horse

That’s the same excuse that “moms demand action” and all the others use to want to take away all guns.


But my GUN , unless she was
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

User avatar

Topic author
Teamless
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#21

Post by Teamless » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Pawpaw wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:05 pm
Teamless,

Take a close look at your door locks. What they do now is to jamb a flat-bladed screwdriver in the key slot and then twist it with pliers or a wrench. It breaks the lock internally and the only sign it ever happened is that the key slot is mangled.
Thanks PawPaw
I will check when I return back to IAH
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

User avatar

EL29jm
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:52 am
Location: League City, TX

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#22

Post by EL29jm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:38 pm

Pawpaw wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:05 pm
Teamless,

Take a close look at your door locks.
Another good one is a small hole from a small screwdriver just below the door lock. Broke into a Chrysler but nothing of value stolen. Of course it was a Chrysler so they left the car.
(Grid - EL29jl - moved) NRA Lifetime member

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3163
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#23

Post by SewTexas » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:40 pm

make sure they didn't get a garage door opener, if you had one in there, that's what they are really looking for. They'll get a garage door opener and either your insurance card or a piece of mail and wait for your home to be empty....then they have entry.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

User avatar

lonestar144
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#24

Post by lonestar144 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:27 pm

montgomery wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:58 pm
My daughter was killed by a gun stolen out of an unlocked vehicle so excuse me if I am among those that consider not knowing where firearms are or leaving them accessible to others not authorized to have access as reckless and irresponsible.
not knowing where _________ are or leaving them accessible to others not authorized to have access as reckless and irresponsible.
In the above, fill in the blank with any other dangerous object or substance and reflect upon your past. What have you misplaced or not put up safely that could have caused grave injury to someone else? Knives, scissors, medicine, cleaning supplies, insecticides, etc... something that a child or anyone else could have gotten a hold of and potentially caused harm? It's easy to point blame at someone else, especially when it comes to firearms, yet other actions have killed far more people. I am sure all of us have done something reckless and irresponsible, like speeding, running red lights, texting and driving, driving under the influence, leaving your car unlocked, yadda yadda. It just takes a few seconds of being distracted to have things go south.

I do feel your pain and sorry for your loss, as I have had close family members killed by reckless behavior. There are just some things in life that are unavoidable and _______ will happen and it's tough. But before you go condemning others, just take a look at your life.


On the subject of the OP, I have a reinforced bicycle cable lock that I use the secure my firearms in the off chance of having to leave it there. On my pistols and ar, just run it up through the mag well and open bolt and wrap it around and through the seat legs in the truck.


RicoTX
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#25

Post by RicoTX » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:51 pm

Glad you got the gun back. I have a locker down safe I keep a spare pistol in, and a locked setup for my ar under the back seat. However I do keep a 22 rifle in the backseat all the time and sometimes a 308... both cheap guns. Do I worry about them being stolen? Not really. I keep my truck locked. The windows are tinted, and if they break in, I'm not going to hold myself responsible for what a criminal does with a stolen gun. I use the safe sometimes for my keys since the truck has keyless entry on the door. Yeah I know... one day the battery will be dead and I'll be breaking a window. Yes I know the console safe is not foolproof, but it will take them longer than they are probably willing to spend... even then they will only find a $200 pistol :mrgreen:

Yes I do check to make sure the rifles are there everyday.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member


TheSinistral
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:31 pm
Location: McKinney Tx

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#26

Post by TheSinistral » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:46 pm

One Saturday night After taking catfish out to clean I forgot to circle back and lock the truck. I lost $3. ( My lucky day) They left behind a Damascus knife and $800+ in fishing rods. Police said that 40+ houses hit that night. It's calling "popping". "Probably kids" the office said. They just walk by and check for unlocked vehicles looking for cash, small electronics and guns.

User avatar

Paladin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2266
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#27

Post by Paladin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:21 am

Teamless wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:19 pm
montgomery wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:38 am
Teamless wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:07 pm
I have no idea how or when or where it was taken
:banghead:
Knock your head as long as you want to
Do you inspect every gun you own every day?
Mine are locked in safe's if they are not on/about my person. My house and car have alarms. Car has a lockbox. House has video as well. Trunk is decent for car storage of long-guns, which don't fit in the lockbox.
NRA Endowment, TSRA Life, GOA Life Member
Texas State Guard

User avatar

Paladin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2266
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#28

Post by Paladin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 am

SewTexas wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:40 pm
make sure they didn't get a garage door opener, if you had one in there, that's what they are really looking for. They'll get a garage door opener and either your insurance card or a piece of mail and wait for your home to be empty....then they have entry.
:iagree:
NRA Endowment, TSRA Life, GOA Life Member
Texas State Guard

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3163
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#29

Post by SewTexas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Paladin wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 am
SewTexas wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:40 pm
make sure they didn't get a garage door opener, if you had one in there, that's what they are really looking for. They'll get a garage door opener and either your insurance card or a piece of mail and wait for your home to be empty....then they have entry.
:iagree:
it happened to us back when we lived in CO Springs. This is from personal experience. We now keep our garage door locked, with a dead-bolt. And we try to keep the cars clean and less of a target.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

User avatar

Paladin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2266
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

#30

Post by Paladin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:10 pm

SewTexas wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 pm
Paladin wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 am
SewTexas wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:40 pm
make sure they didn't get a garage door opener, if you had one in there, that's what they are really looking for. They'll get a garage door opener and either your insurance card or a piece of mail and wait for your home to be empty....then they have entry.
:iagree:
it happened to us back when we lived in CO Springs. This is from personal experience. We now keep our garage door locked, with a dead-bolt. And we try to keep the cars clean and less of a target.
Sorry about your experience. I really hate badguys that break into homes. Awful!

You have excellent advice! In my experience keeping cars clean works the best, but I re-enforce my garage too. The remotes and emergency release are too easy of a target
NRA Endowment, TSRA Life, GOA Life Member
Texas State Guard

Post Reply

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”