Officer Invades Apartment, Shoots Resident

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

philip964
Posts in topic: 18

Re: Officer Invades Apartment, Shoots Resident

Post by philip964 »

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/former-dallas ... 00843.html

Her appeal will be heard. Judge in the instructions did not mention the officer could have believed she was in her apartment or something like that.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K.Mooneyham »

philip964 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:59 pm https://www.yahoo.com/gma/former-dallas ... 00843.html

Her appeal will be heard. Judge in the instructions did not mention the officer could have believed she was in her apartment or something like that.
I still find it absolutely weird that about 1/7th of the residents who were asked if they had gone to the wrong apartment said they had. :shock:

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:28 pm
philip964 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:59 pm https://www.yahoo.com/gma/former-dallas ... 00843.html

I still find it absolutely weird that about 1/7th of the residents who were asked if they had gone to the wrong apartment said they had. :shock:
My understanding is the residents were not allowed to paint the doors or put any distinguishing features on them per apartment management
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 46

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:07 am

My understanding is the residents were not allowed to paint the doors or put any distinguishing features on them per apartment management
It seems to me anyone who had lived there more than a couple months would become very aware that it was easy to end up at the wrong apartment. At the very least she should have had a moment of doubt she was at the wrong door. Not to mention the furniture all being different. Not very observant for a cop.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I don't.
USAF 1982-2005

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Ah, well, that helps a bit. Thanks.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

I worked at an apartment complex as a maintenance man. There were 8 buildings and with 200 apartments. There were three brands of entry lock sets for which I had master keys. One time I was entering an apartment to do some work and I inadvertently used my apartment key, which was on the same key ring. The lock opened and it was then I realized I had done used my key. Out of curiosity I checked the back up keys in the cabinet for all the apartments. There were many keys that were the same as other apartments. Not just one or two, many. I didn't do a count, but probably only 10-12 different keys for each brand.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

03Lightningrocks

puma guy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:29 pm

I worked at an apartment complex as a maintenance man. There were 8 buildings and with 200 apartments. There were three brands of entry lock sets for which I had master keys. One time I was entering an apartment to do some work and I inadvertently used my apartment key, which was on the same key ring. The lock opened and it was then I realized I had done used my key. Out of curiosity I checked the back up keys in the cabinet for all the apartments. There were many keys that were the same as other apartments. Not just one or two, many. I didn't do a count, but probably only 10-12 different keys for each brand.
Some 35-40 years ago we lived in a Fox and Jacobs house in Plano. They had maybe four or five different house designs. No less than two or three times a month someone was trying to unlock my door with their keys. I must have pulled into the wrong driveway once or twice a month. The darned houses all looked alike. It was surprisingly easy to get confused about what part of the block you were on. I can imagine how easy an apartment like that would be to confuse.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:36 pm

Some 35-40 years ago we lived in a Fox and Jacobs house in Plano. They had maybe four or five different house designs. No less than two or three times a month someone was trying to unlock my door with their keys. I must have pulled into the wrong driveway once or twice a month. The darned houses all looked alike. It was surprisingly easy to get confused about what part of the block you were on. I can imagine how easy an apartment like that would be to confuse.
I was at Whataburger. Returning to my White midsized SUV that looks like every other white midsized SUV there was an unused parking space to left of my SUV. I open the driver door and scare the living daylights out of the guy (who could have been a gang banger) sitting in the driver seat listening to the radio. It scared the words not acceptable on this forum out of me as well. I immediately apologized, as he was still trying to calm down. I said my car looks just like this and proceeded to get in the correct SUV that was right next to him.

Usually when I made this mistake the wrong car door is locked. I now have a ribbon tied to the door handle.

My understanding at Home Depot and Loews, the deadbolt door locks are keyed with like only 10 key cuts.

03Lightningrocks

philip964 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:56 pm

I was at Whataburger. Returning to my White midsized SUV that looks like every other white midsized SUV there was an unused parking space to left of my SUV. I open the driver door and scare the living daylights out of the guy (who could have been a gang banger) sitting in the driver seat listening to the radio. It scared the words not acceptable on this forum out of me as well. I immediately apologized, as he was still trying to calm down. I said my car looks just like this and proceeded to get in the correct SUV that was right next to him.

Usually when I made this mistake the wrong car door is locked. I now have a ribbon tied to the door handle.

My understanding at Home Depot and Loews, the deadbolt door locks are keyed with like only 10 key cuts.
LOL... that exact same thing happened to me in my run of the mill grey Ford four door F150 at the post office parking lot.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 pm
philip964 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:56 pm

LOL... that exact same thing happened to me in my run of the mill grey Ford four door F150 at the post office parking lot.
When I was in the 4th grade (1957) my teacher gave me the key to her 1955 Chevrolet, described it as blue and white and told me to get the cardboard box out of the trunk. I found the car, opened the trunk and brought the box back to class. When she opened the box she asked me where I got it. We ended up going back to the parking lot where I showed her the car from which I removed the box. Afre she opened the trunk and I put the box back she took us to HER 1955 blue and white Chevrolet. She opened the trunk of her car and there was the box she wanted. What are the chances?????
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jim Beaux »

Many years ago a guy was preparing to leave for a business trip. His office was in large multi-floor office complex with a large parking lot holding several cars.

As he was running late.he gave his keys to his secretary and asked her to gas his car up. When he went to leave he saw that his car was empty! Long story short she took a near identical car in which the keys fit, drove it off and gassed it instead.

The one thing I can remember was the news article reported that Pontiac had only 6 keys for each years model and the odds of this happening were not as great as imagined.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

ELB

Post by ELB »

I rent UHaul trucks to my customers. UHaul of course buys boatloads of Ford and GM truck chassis. When I give the customer the key they ask me "which truck?" I used to tease them "whichever one the key fits!" before pointing it out wherever it is parked. Until one day, one of the customers went out, walked past the truck I pointed out to another one, fired it up, and drove away. Had to go back and change the contract which was a nuisance. Now I don't say that anymore. :roll:
USAF 1982-2005

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

puma guy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:17 pm When I was in the 4th grade (1957) my teacher gave me the key to her 1955 Chevrolet, described it as blue and white and told me to get the cardboard box out of the trunk. I found the car, opened the trunk and brought the box back to class. When she opened the box she asked me where I got it. We ended up going back to the parking lot where I showed her the car from which I removed the box. Afre she opened the trunk and I put the box back she took us to HER 1955 blue and white Chevrolet. She opened the trunk of her car and there was the box she wanted. What are the chances?????
When I was in high school, about 1970, a friend and I decided to go for a swim at the local recreation center. For some forgotten reason, he wanted to drive his mother's '68 or '69 Pontiac Catalina wagon.

After the swim, we went out to his mother's car and he couldn't find the keys. Of course, there they hung in the ignition switch and the car was locked up tight. He as about to go back inside and call home when I pulled out the keys to my '55 Chevy and unlocked the door as pretty as you please. Inside, I wondered if my keys would work in the ignition. Sure enough it worked too and he drove us home with my keys hanging from the dash.

As you said, "What are the Chances?" He only lived across the street and about 3 houses down from me.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Not to derail this any further, but on Youtube there is a physical penetration tester named Deviant Ollam who does a ton of stuff on physical security. Most of his work is for commercial clients, so he's well aware of code and how that affects legal solutions to security problems. Bottom line: standard key locks are completely insecure and a determined and competent attacker can replicate (as in "create from scratch his/her own functional copy") your keys from a crummy cell phone picture of your key chain. Security through obscurity is and always has been a terrible model, and it is still the norm in the lock and key industry. Now that information about how weak common security practices are for the major players in the industry is widely available via the internet, anyone who wants to find that information will. If you own $25,000 of guns and $250 worth of locks, maybe its time to rethink which one is more likely to protect you and your stuff and invest accordingly.

Separate point: you need to be sure which apartment you're in before you draw a weapon.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”