Today I sent a complement to the Trooper that cited me

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

Today I sent a complement to the Trooper that cited me

Post by E.Marquez »

I had contact with a Trooper yesterday, a speeding traffic infraction.
The act was mine to own, though im secure in my reason and positive I did not cause any danger to others or my self in the 2 seconds or less I was exceeding the posted limit to get around and away from tailgaters blocking my exit.

Anyway, Trooper Nix was the consummate professional.
He lit me up in a place I didn’t feel it was safe to pull over directly being that I was on my motorcycle so we went around and through an intersection and down the street a ways before I could find a safe spot to pull over

Though I was indicating to him the whole way that I knew he was there and I was attempting to find a safe spot to get off the road, I was prepared to be rebuked for not immediately pulling over.

To my pleasure and his credit, he cut me off mid apology and said no sir, you did absolutely right and I appreciate you finding a safe spot.

By the time he reached me from his car my, CHL and DL we’re already presented.
He immediately handed the CHL back and not a word was said.
No Silly passive aggressive “you don’t touch yours I won’t touch mine” not a look just handed it back as a non issue.

I was informed I’d be receiving a citation and he would be back in just a minute.

Can’t really complain about that what he alleged I had done, while I would’ve preferred getting a SECOND break I can’t blame him for writing what he observed.
Second break??..let me explain
He could have also charged me and taken me to jail with a reckless driving charge, as technically it fits the bill. I believe I would’ve prevailed in court, nevertheless it was an option that he chose not to do, so that was a break he had already given me.

He could’ve cited me for no proof of insurance as I had left my insurance card on one of my other motorcycles. A simple mistake I have already corrected by printing multiple copies, but he chose to not write that citation as well.

For his professional, courteous Interaction as well as the best way I’ve seen citizen / CHL / officer interaction yet. I used the departments complement online widget and also called his department and left a message for him to call me back so I can say it to his face or at least on the phone

I think we know all too often people don’t accept responsibility for their actions, or words are said that show disrespect for the officer and his duties simply because he observed what they did and acted as his sworn duties dictate. I think very few get complemented for their acts when they do it right..

And I doubt very few people cited for speeding send compliments to them but it was earned so why not.
Last edited by E.Marquez on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

PlatinumCouch
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Today I sent a complement to the Trooper that cited me

Post by PlatinumCouch »

Excellent! The GREAT majority of LEO's are good people. :thewave
I carry, not because I hate what is in front of me, but because I love what is behind me.

loktite

Post by loktite »

You might also consider keeping a picture of your insurance on your phone (preferably in a location that won't directly show in your phones gallery), perhaps synced with a folder on Google Drive or something equivalent.
NRA Endowment Member

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

Your insurance information should be in the State database and they can look it up. I have been stopped and my insurance app wouldn't let me log in. Has never been a problem as long as you actually have insurance.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

E.Marquez wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:35 am Though I was indicating to him the whole way that I knew he was there and I was attempting to find a safe spot to get off the road, I was prepared to be rebuked for not immediately pulling over.

To my pleasure and his credit he cut me off mid apology and said no sir, you did absolutely right and I appreciate you finding a safe spot.
I don't recall ever having an officer complain about me finding an appropriate spot to pull over, pretty sure most of them appreciate it. I'd be inclined to think that some of them may even treat you a bit more kindly with such an obvious display of safety-mindedness.

Obviously not in this case though ;-)
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

MadMonkey wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:07 am
I don't recall ever having an officer complain about me finding an appropriate spot to pull over, pretty sure most of them appreciate it.
Twice personally, Arizona Trooper "Son, did you see my lights?, that means stop the damn car now, not drive till you feel like pulling over" I was 20, on leave driving from CA to Colorado
ElPaso local officer...about 2012, maybe 2010, and come to think about it, officer said about the same thing that time, but after wants /warrants were checked and things calmed down a bit...he explained and in a away apologized. They had just had a officer involved shooting after vehicle slowed down but did not stop right away, when it did stop, someone else started shooting at them, like they had been lead into a baited ambush.

I guess I remember the stats about most dangerous part of LEO's job being traffic and figured as long as I indicate I see them, finding a safe(er) place to stop is a win/win... so Id do it again tomorrow if lit up....but I am ready for the side of the road admonishment which Id listing to and acknowledge then and there, but it would not be the end of it.....Im no longer a 20 year old Army privet just trying to go along to get along.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Good grief! I must have read that title 4-6 times and your post 2-3 times trying to figure out what your complaint was before I actually read the word "COMPLEMENT."

This is not a good sign. I don't like where this could lead.

A Dallas officer complained to me for not pulling over immediately around 25 years ago. The location where I first saw him light me up was dangerous and I pulled over into a safer area along I-35E southbound about .25-.5 miles further. He was not thankful for my consideration.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I would assume if they wanted me to pullover ahead, they should be smart enough to wait until I get there to turn the lights on. However, I haven't been pulled over in years, so there is that.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

DynamicDan wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:34 pm Your insurance information should be in the State database and they can look it up. I have been stopped and my insurance app wouldn't let me log in. Has never been a problem as long as you actually have insurance.
Yes it SHOULD pull up on the state database, but it might not due to human or computer error..
Likely that day mine did, so I was not cited, nor even asked.
But I prefer to have the insurance proof ready and available, as its required, its likely time saving for all, and it covers the possible issue the state system is wrong, down, or otherwise in error.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

E.Marquez wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:17 am
DynamicDan wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:34 pm Your insurance information should be in the State database and they can look it up. I have been stopped and my insurance app wouldn't let me log in. Has never been a problem as long as you actually have insurance.
Yes it SHOULD pull up on the state database, but it might not due to human or computer error..
Likely that day mine did, so I was not cited, nor even asked.
But I prefer to have the insurance proof ready and available, as its required, its likely time saving for all, and it covers the possible issue the state system is wrong, down, or otherwise in error.
Listening ro the scanner I hear verify manually when officers request insurance status way too often. While we can do electronic proof of insurance I prefer to have a paper copy because cellular issues are far too common in my area (often due to oilfield equipment damaging fiber optic lines).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

I thought I had posted after speaking to Trooper Nix, but I guess not.

Getting a hold of the Trooper was more involved then I had assumed it would be.
For obvious reason they don't hand out trooper phone numbers, but they also dont let troopers call citizens directly .

The Trooper has an operator call the citizen, and then the Trooper is connected in as well and the operator drops out (though Id be surprised if the call was not recorded)

Trooper and I had a pleasant conversation and I hope, he remembers there are many that understand and appreciate the job they do when he is facing off with a rude, ignorant citizen upset they are being "singled out" for a citation they earned.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”