On line classes have started

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

skeathley
Posts in topic: 5

Re: On line classes have started

Post by skeathley »

Just got an email from someone who is charging $229.00 for the online LTC course. Really? Who in the world would pay that much for a class that can't possibly be worth over $100.00?

I better raise my rates. :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott B. »

The battle for the online class market--or at least the attempt to enlist the state's LTC instructors in it--is kind of entertaining.

I can say that the emails are succeeding in making me a bigger proponent of Constitutional Carry next session. :txflag:

There's a lot of things I can do to make money. I actually enjoy teaching the class.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

switch
Posts in topic: 3

Post by switch »

I reviewed one of the online courses.
First there are no controls. Ever take an online Defensive driving course? Every once in awhile, it asks you personal questions - birthdate, d/l number, etc. If you don't answer correctly and quickly, you get kicked off, have to call to get restarted. This course is 4 or 5 videos, start, go mow the yard, come back, start the next. Or set your 10 year old in front of computer, 'let me know when it finishes". I was surprised DPS authorized it.
A couple of criticisms:
He emphasizes the pulling your gun is considered Force, not deadly force, but he does not caution them to NOT point it at the aggressor.
He uses SERPA holsters as examples of retention holsters. I reached out, suggested he use different models. He was dismissal, very hostile. Said nothing is wrong with SERPA holsters, it's a training issue. How much 'training' of these LTC's going to get?

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

skeathley wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 pm Just got an email from someone who is charging $229.00 for the online LTC course. Really? Who in the world would pay that much for a class that can't possibly be worth over $100.00?
It seems great for people in California. Pay for an online class. Multitask while the videos play - read a book, surf the internet, Netflix and chill, etc. Get a license that's good in Nevada, Arizona, and a bunch of other states without having to leave the comfort of your bedroom if you're one of the special people who don't have to show proficiency.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

skeathley
Posts in topic: 5

Post by skeathley »

It's likely that some of the actual instructors are not actually gun guys at all, but work for a company whose owner took the necessary courses to be authorized to sign off on the forms. I would bet that the online process was started by a member of the legislature who was taken to an expensive golf course by a lobbyist hired by Sylvan, or another mass provider of online courses so they can get into this market.

That is why the requirements to be approved as a provider were so exclusive, so they could protect that turf.
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

switch

Post by switch »

"It's likely that some of the actual instructors are not actually gun guys at all, but work for a company whose owner took the necessary courses to be authorized to sign off on the forms. I would bet that the online process was started by a member of the legislature who was taken to an expensive golf course by a lobbyist hired by Sylvan, or another mass provider of online courses so they can get into this market."

I doubt that. There are 10 course providers listed by DPS. None appear to be famous.

ChrisR
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ChrisR »

switch wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:05 pm "It's likely that some of the actual instructors are not actually gun guys at all, but work for a company whose owner took the necessary courses to be authorized to sign off on the forms. I would bet that the online process was started by a member of the legislature who was taken to an expensive golf course by a lobbyist hired by Sylvan, or another mass provider of online courses so they can get into this market."

I doubt that. There are 10 course providers listed by DPS. None appear to be famous.
Several other States have allowed online LTC classes for years now and several more are talking about approving it. It was just a matter of time before Texas allowed it. FYI. One of the guys who "helped" get it passed is one of the "online" Texas drivers ed guys. I don't know that he tried to "corner" the market because all of the online course providers where already LTC instructors except for two that I am aware of.

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

skeathley wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 pm Just got an email from someone who is charging $229.00 for the online LTC course. Really? Who in the world would pay that much for a class that can't possibly be worth over $100.00?

I better raise my rates. :biggrinjester:
I called that guy out. He is not charging that anymore. That $229 included a basic pistol class, online LTC class and the range portion, it was NOT only for the online class. He still stopped it though. I called him out on it without looking to see what all it included too.

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Greybeard wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:03 am Below is how I recently modified the LTC page on our web site:

Private (minimum 5 hour) LTC classes are available for 1 - 4 people at $60 per hour on weekdays or $80 per hour on weekends (if available).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The same hourly rates - with a 2 hour minimum - are applicable for anyone who needs to complete the RANGE PORTION of the recently-approved Texas LTC "online classroom course" option where Govt Code 411.188 (on pg 18 of the 2018 LTC-16) reads:

(d-1) A qualified handgun instructor shall require an applicant who successfully completed an online version of the classroom instruction part of the handgun proficiency course to complete not less than one hour but not more than two hours of the range instruction part of the handgun proficiency course BEFORE allowing a physical demonstration of the handgun proficiency as described by Subsection (d)(2).

The first hour will consist of the same DCSA Orientation as is standard with all classes, which meets the requirement stated above - and also qualifies people for DCSA Freedom Plan memberships. The second hour, or as much as needed thereof, will consist of the same range safety instructions and "demonstration of proficiency" as regular LTC class "Level 1" shooters (defined above). (See FAQ page for details on procedures, the actual course of fire and target scoring.)

In summary, the cost for the RANGE PORTION of the new "hybrid" LTC class option for 1 OR 2 experienced students on a weekday or weekday evening will be $120.00 (or $160.00 if needed on a weekend). Contaaly "Step 3".
I have 12 instructors in your area that do the "in person" portion of the class for my online students in that area. They charge between $40 to $50 a person. Most instructors are doing ONE hour range instruction than completing the shooting. No one is doing the max 2 hour range instruction.

switch

Post by switch »

I had an online student come get his shooting proficiency with me.

He had a copy of the LTC101 from the online provider. I should have filled it out.

I elected to fill out the proficiency part of the LTC100 and provide that to him I have done that several times in the past when students have taken the Classroom portion from another instructor and come to me to show proficiency.

DPS bounced it back. On closer examination, the 'shooting' instructor has to sign the LTC101 twice, once attesting he has provided 1-2 hours of instructions and once to attest they successfully showed proficiency.

FYI.

jack

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Seems like online would be an inferior way to take the course. One of the most beneficial parts of my CHL class was discussing students' "what if" and "what about" questions.
-Ruark

Jgriffin22

Post by Jgriffin22 »

For those of you that are online instructors, how did you design your website? Is there a template out there, did you do it from scratch? I just received my certificate today but there was nothing else with it. I logged in to Instructor resources and printed the course outline and all it says is class must be presented through a secure web portal. The rest is the same as the classroom instruction. Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”