School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire


switch
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:06 am
Location: Venus, TX
Contact:

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#46

Post by switch » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:16 am

They run the students through the LTC proficiency course too. If they can't shoot 90%, they can't continue the training.

User avatar

BCGlocker
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:11 pm
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#47

Post by BCGlocker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:26 pm

Scott B. wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:59 am
DPS just confirmed me for the October class.

If anybody else from the board is in that one, let me know.
I got confirmation for Oct. 29-30.
NRA Life Member
IDPA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 15
Posts: 1165
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#48

Post by Scott B. » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 pm

BCGlocker wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:26 pm
Scott B. wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:59 am
DPS just confirmed me for the October class.

If anybody else from the board is in that one, let me know.
I got confirmation for Oct. 29-30.
Glad to hear you got a class. :thumbs2:

I'm the week before you, Oct 22-23. Interesting they're running two that close together.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT


DaveTyler
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#49

Post by DaveTyler » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 pm

I also today received notification for the October 29-30th class. Applied in April 2017. Think there is a Jim Hogg RV park around close.

See you there. No other propaganda as yet. Dave

User avatar

Topic author
troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 1125
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#50

Post by troglodyte » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:15 pm

If you're looking for a place to stay you might look at the Best Western in Georgetown. I told them I was coming in for DPS Training and they gave me the DPS discount. A plus is there are usually plenty of DPS vehicles around and I would think that makes a great deterrent to any locals that may be up to no good.
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor
School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 15
Posts: 1165
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#51

Post by Scott B. » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:45 pm

I know one, possibly two of the Oct 29-30 attendees and they're pretty good shooters. Ya'll will have a good group.

I stayed in Round Rock last time and used up some points. Think I'll give Georgetown a try this time.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1540
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#52

Post by twomillenium » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:03 pm

I stayed at Best Western Georgetown about 20 minutes to DPS classroom.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 15
Posts: 1165
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#53

Post by Scott B. » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Reliable source informs, there will be yet another class offered in November. They're really picking up the pace. Apparently in response the Govenor's meeting on school safety.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

User avatar

Paladin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2372
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: DFW

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#54

Post by Paladin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Scott B. wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:26 pm
Reliable source informs, there will be yet another class offered in November. They're really picking up the pace. Apparently in response the Govenor's meeting on school safety.
:thumbs2:
NRA Patron Life, TSRA Life, GOA Life Member
Texas State Guard

User avatar

jmorris
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1209
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Cibolo
Contact:

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#55

Post by jmorris » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:45 pm

DaveTyler wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 pm
I also today received notification for the October 29-30th class. Applied in April 2017. Think there is a Jim Hogg RV park around close.

See you there. No other propaganda as yet. Dave
If you're talking about Jim Hogg Park on Lake Georgetown you've got a little problem there. It's ACoE. If that's not what you're talking about, never mind.
Jay E Morris
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC
NRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)
Cibolo, TX

User avatar

BCGlocker
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:11 pm
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#56

Post by BCGlocker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 am

I can remember for sure but I think we are not allowed to carry into the classroom/building. Am I correct?
NRA Life Member
IDPA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor


Mike S
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:08 pm
Contact:

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#57

Post by Mike S » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:21 am

BCGlocker wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 am
I can remember for sure but I think we are not allowed to carry into the classroom/building. Am I correct?
Several people did when we reported to the class, but during inprocessing they asked everyone to leave them in their vehicles for the remainder, as several blocks of instruction include some semblance of a role-playing exercise.

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 15
Posts: 1165
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#58

Post by Scott B. » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 am

If anybody is in the Oct 22 and 23 class, let me know. Staying at the Best Western. Maybe we can fit a decent meal in.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 15
Posts: 1165
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#59

Post by Scott B. » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Back from the course.

One item for those who have already taken it. If it didn't come up, in regards to students taking the course from you, the LTC shoot/test pre-qual should meet the 90% instructor standard and not the 75% LTC standard...for obvious reasons.

For those going in the coming weeks.

- Local weather forecast as of this morning was for pretty solid rain chances through mid-November. You'll be shooting rain or shine due to tight scheduling so take appropriate gear.

We got lucky on the rain.

- They mistakenly cut and pasted from the old CHL firearms requirements. Take a 9mm or larger, and semi-auto only. I don't think any instructor would, but no sub gauge pistols or revolvers.

- Don't forget your hand towel. You'll need 2 mags, no more required or needed.

- You'll have more than enough time to leave and go get lunch.

- They've paved CR240. I thought for a second I'd taken the wrong turn.

- A surprising number of people speed on HWY 195 which has to be the easiest hunting grounds for DPS in all of the state.

- The Best Western Plus in Georgetown was clean and very convenient to I-35, but has walls as thin as any cheap motel you've ever stayed at. Wished I'd used some of my points and just stayed at the Ramada in Round Rock.

For those still on the waiting list. DPS is hoping to increase the class size. They've already increased the class frequency.

Have fun!
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

User avatar

BCGlocker
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:11 pm
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#60

Post by BCGlocker » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:35 pm

Scott B. wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:45 pm
Back from the course.

One item for those who have already taken it. If it didn't come up, in regards to students taking the course from you, the LTC shoot/test pre-qual should meet the 90% instructor standard and not the 75% LTC standard...for obvious reasons.

For those going in the coming weeks.

- Local weather forecast as of this morning was for pretty solid rain chances through mid-November. You'll be shooting rain or shine due to tight scheduling so take appropriate gear.

We got lucky on the rain.

- They mistakenly cut and pasted from the old CHL firearms requirements. Take a 9mm or larger, and semi-auto only. I don't think any instructor would, but no sub gauge pistols or revolvers.

- Don't forget your hand towel. You'll need 2 mags, no more required or needed.

- You'll have more than enough time to leave and go get lunch.

- They've paved CR240. I thought for a second I'd taken the wrong turn.

- A surprising number of people speed on HWY 195 which has to be the easiest hunting grounds for DPS in all of the state.

- The Best Western Plus in Georgetown was clean and very convenient to I-35, but has walls as thin as any cheap motel you've ever stayed at. Wished I'd used some of my points and just stayed at the Ramada in Round Rock.

For those still on the waiting list. DPS is hoping to increase the class size. They've already increased the class frequency.

Have fun!
Thank you for the tips.
NRA Life Member
IDPA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

Post Reply

Return to “Instructors' Corner”