Topic author
AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 7

First Responder Training 21-23 Sept

Post by AF-Odin »

Anyone else on the Forum attending this iteration of this course? :tiphat:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First Responder Training 21-23 Sept

Post by Mike S »

I was in the 31 Aug - 2 Sept class. Here's a couple observations:

1. Read the equipment list. Come prepared with the correct type of holster & a magazine pouch capable of holding at least 2x spare magazines. Also, bring the correct type of flashlight as described on the packing list. ((Should be simple, but some students had to run to GT Distributors at the end of class on Day 1 because they didn't bring what was prescribed on the packing list...))

2. The nuances that aren't included on the packing list:
- Inside the Waistband holsters aren't allowed on the DPS range. You can allow your students to use IWB when you're giving the class, but you can't use IWB while on the DPS' range. I can't remember if it was stated in the instruction sheet, but shoulder holsters / cross draw holsters also aren't allowed.
- Over-the-Ear Hearing Protection isn't a requirement anymore, but is recommended. ((I guess 'phobias' of having ears covered is a thing now, so ear plugs are acceptable to use....)). Electronic ear pro is recommended to hear the range commands & instruction when breaking down into smaller cadre-led groups on the range.
- I'd recommend also bringing an extra pair of shooting glasses. Mine broke in half on Day 3, & luckily I keep a spare set in the truck.

3. The drills are optimized for 3x magazines that have a capacity of at least 10x rnds each. If your mags don't hold at least 10-rnds each, you'll want to bring extras. ((More than 3 would be a good idea anyway))

4. You'll only shoot around 400 rnds, but I'd recommend bringing a spare gun just in case your primary goes down. There were several that had minor malfunction issues with their handguns, but nothing that wasn't fixable on the line. Except the guy who brought 9mm ammo for his .40 on Day 1; another student let him use his spare handgun for the pre-qualification. ((So, do your Pre-Combat Checks before heading out on Wednesday morning & ensure you didn't grab the wrong can of ammo)).

5. If you leave to grab dinner between classroom & night fire on Thursday, check to see what time the gate closes in the afternoon. Several students were stuck outside the gate waiting for someone to let them back in.

6. Night fire did actually go to around 10:00pm on Thursday. Class resumed again on Friday at 08:00, so a hotel room in Georgetown would be advisable for Thursday night, even if you are somewhat local.

7. Bring rain gear. Training continued with light rain, & only paused during lightning storms.

8. There's a Keurig coffee pot in the back of the classroom, but you have to bring your own coffee pods.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for the update!
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Mike S,

Thanks for the information. No need for a hotel room as I live in Copperas Cove which is only about 5-10 minutes more than Georgetown to DPS. Was originally supposed to be in your class, but could not go, REALLY needed to attend my son's retirement ceremony from the Army on the 31st.

Have plenty of ammo, FIVE extra mags (all are 15 rounders), spare gun, duty belt with holster and three mag pouches, Streamlight Flashlight that is more than enough lumens (and a back-up Surefire), two sets of electronic over-the-ear muffs, plenty o spare batteries for flashlights and muffs, spare glasses (to include sunglasses), always have light rain gear in the truck as well as a spare hat.

Will be brown-bagging all meals as well as plenty of sports drinks and a full thermos of coffee each morning.

Again, thanks
AF-Odin :txflag:
AF-Odin
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Just got my First Responder email from RSD... Class is January 4-6. Anyone else scheduled for those dates?

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:00 pm Just got my First Responder email from RSD... Class is January 4-6. Anyone else scheduled for those dates?
I'm still on the waitlist.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Paladin wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:44 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:00 pm Just got my First Responder email from RSD... Class is January 4-6. Anyone else scheduled for those dates?
I'm still on the waitlist.
I'll probably have to go 3 times in 2023.

First Responder
School Safety
LTC renewal

Topic author
AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Tex1961,

Good luck and have FUN. Probably the best DPS class I have attended. My only issue was "Glock Knuckle" from firing so many rounds in 3 days. Nothing that a band-aid could not cure, but I later had an undercut done on the trigger guard. Let us know how things go.
Odin
AF-Odin
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:39 pm Tex1961,

Good luck and have FUN. Probably the best DPS class I have attended. My only issue was "Glock Knuckle" from firing so many rounds in 3 days. Nothing that a band-aid could not cure, but I later had an undercut done on the trigger guard. Let us know how things go.
Odin
Thanks.. I will... I just have to decide what gun to bring. LOL... Believe it or not, I only own 2 polymer guns. A G22 with a 9mm barrel and my Shield Plus.
I'm thinking even though it weighs more either my Beretta 92 or my CZ 75.

I am a little concerned, 61 years old with arthritis and some asthma. But I figure it this way. The class was free. I bought my 9mm back when prices were .16 cents per round. I doubt I will ever get the opportunity to teach this class, but free tactical training from DPS isn't something to lightly turn down. I could at least use those skills to teach students who want more skills after their LTC...

Topic author
AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Tex1961,

Whatever gun you use, have a back-up (with holster and at least two spare mags with holders) just in case. For the Beretta, you will be required to have the decocking lever engaged at the start of each drill. Before the class, get comfortable with your draw (as always, unloaded with ammo in different room). I used my Glock 19 as my primary and a Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel as my back-up so mags and holster issues did not come into play. Fired the 19 on days one and two and the 23 (with 9mm conversion) on day three.

I believe that I was the oldest in my class (I am 72), but there were a number of guys in the class that were in their late 50s and early 60s. You do not need to run but should be able to move with purpose from cover to cover while shooting. You will be required to fire from laying on your back and from laying on your sides as well as kneeling. If you have knee pads, USE them. Day two is a workout as you start at about 0800 and do not finish until about 2200. May be earlier for you as we are now in winter and day two includes the night firing. We had to wait until after sunset in Sept before daylight savings time ended.

As far as actually teaching the class, I also doubt that I will have the opportunity as requirements for students are fairly restrictive and cost for conducting the class would be fairly high. That said, DPS training for FREE is a good thing and much of what I learned in the class can be used in my more advanced defensive skills classes.

If you have any questions or need to borrow anything, PM me. IIRC you are in the DFW area and I am only about 45 minutes north from the DPS training facility.
AF-Odin
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:51 pm Tex1961,

Whatever gun you use, have a back-up (with holster and at least two spare mags with holders) just in case. For the Beretta, you will be required to have the decocking lever engaged at the start of each drill. Before the class, get comfortable with your draw (as always, unloaded with ammo in different room). I used my Glock 19 as my primary and a Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel as my back-up so mags and holster issues did not come into play. Fired the 19 on days one and two and the 23 (with 9mm conversion) on day three.

I believe that I was the oldest in my class (I am 72), but there were a number of guys in the class that were in their late 50s and early 60s. You do not need to run but should be able to move with purpose from cover to cover while shooting. You will be required to fire from laying on your back and from laying on your sides as well as kneeling. If you have knee pads, USE them. Day two is a workout as you start at about 0800 and do not finish until about 2200. May be earlier for you as we are now in winter and day two includes the night firing. We had to wait until after sunset in Sept before daylight savings time ended.

As far as actually teaching the class, I also doubt that I will have the opportunity as requirements for students are fairly restrictive and cost for conducting the class would be fairly high. That said, DPS training for FREE is a good thing and much of what I learned in the class can be used in my more advanced defensive skills classes.

If you have any questions or need to borrow anything, PM me. IIRC you are in the DFW area and I am only about 45 minutes north from the DPS training facility.
You Sir, are a rock star :-)

Sounds like I'll be able to do the physical part. (Barely).. I'll just bring lots of aspirin. haha.... I think I'll use my G22 as my primary. Just need to get a holster for it. I'll bring my Shield Plus as my backup since I already have a OWB holster for it. I'll just need to grab an extra mag.

I'm blessed in the fact that I'm the lead instructor at a gun range that just opened, so I have full access to the bays anytime I want and I can practice my holster draw with live ammo as much as I want... Thanks for the offer as well on borrowing... Hopefully I won't need anything..

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Anyone going to the First Responder course April 5 - 7.
I was scheduled to go a few months back but had to cancel.

Topic author
AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Good Luck and let me know how it goes.
AF-Odin
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

AF-Odin wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:24 am Good Luck and let me know how it goes.
I sure will. I’m just glad that regular instructor renewal is online this year. One trip to Florence per year is more than enough haha.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

For any of you who may be on the list or just interested in the First Responder Course.

Just got back this evening from the 3 day 28 hour course. Here are some of the highlights.

Yes, You will be shooting at least 450 rounds over 3 days. :fire
Yes, You will be out there rain, sun, ice or snow.. We spent 3 days in the rain rolling around on the ground.
If your an old fart like me you will be sore.
Bring two of everything in case of failure. Don't bring your Gucci gun or Gucci magazines. The gun will be on the ground and you will be dropping all of your magazines on the ground violently multiple times.
Do bring a minimum of 3 magazines, you will use them all. Lots and lots of mag changes.
Do bring a good quality holster (OWB is best), you will be drawing from your holster a LOT..

The instructors are very accommodating to us older folks, but you will still need to be able to get down and back up again. No real running, but you do need to move with purpose for some of the drills. And yes, you will go over most everything you already know as far as LTC laws are concerned so you will be bored at times, but we still learned a lot of new information and had some great discussions between the troopers and other instructors.

Some interesting facts. RSD gave us.

There are currently 1,647,771 active LTC holders
There are a little over 3800 LTC Instructors
There are 156 (+17 from my class) First Responder Instructors
There are over 500 instructors on the waiting list to take the First Responder Instructor Course
There are 477 School Safety instructors
There are 0 applicants for the First Responder course

Return to “Instructors' Corner”