Class / Range or Range / Class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Class / Range or Range / Class

Post by Tex1961 »

Does anyone know if RSD specifies the order of classroom and range. I've always done classroom first then range, but I've seen many gun ranges do the range portion first and then the classroom part.. For me common sense is to do the classroom portion first as we go over safety rules, basic handgun operation, etc... I'm just not sure if there is an actual rule in place.

Scott B.

Re: Class / Range or Range / Class

Post by Scott B. »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:12 am Does anyone know if RSD specifies the order of classroom and range. I've always done classroom first then range, but I've seen many gun ranges do the range portion first and then the classroom part.. For me common sense is to do the classroom portion first as we go over safety rules, basic handgun operation, etc... I'm just not sure if there is an actual rule in place.
There's no rule. The range first part followed by gun safety is goofy, but folks do it.

I do program intro, range safety, shoot, rest of class.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

:iagree: RSD nor DPS specify the order of class, only subjects and total time (minimum and maximum).

USUALLY, I like to do the the Handgun Use and Safety portion first followed by range time. This way I KNOW that the folks have been briefed and received some instruction on safety as well as describing WHAT will be done on the range and what the commands mean. Then we do the "Demonstration of Proficiency," score targets, take a break, and settle down for the remainder of the academics. What this sequence also allows me to do is mix my students that have completed academics on-line in with the rest of the class. My Handgun Use and Safety usually takes between an hour and an hour and a half thus fulfilling the 1-2 hours of face to face instruction required for the on-line students. Following the range, we complete paperwork for them and they leave. Then, the rest of the class comes back from break and we settle into the academics.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Way back when I got my LTC, the range that offered the class had us do range portion first then class. I never gave it much though because I was already an experienced shooter. Since then I know of a total of 3 ranges in the DFW area that do just that. Only when I became an instructor and realized the number of students who did not have any experience did I realize that probably was not a real good idea. I was discussing this with another instructor last week and he was under the impression that it was a RSD rule. I told him I didn't believe that there was any rules about this. So that's why I reached out.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

AF-Odin wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:19 am ...What this sequence also allows me to do is mix my students that have completed academics on-line in with the rest of the class....
Yep, works nicely for that.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Depends on when I can get the range. I've done it first, last, and in-between.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

For the Instructor-led Class & Range: No rule regarding order of events.

For Online Class, Range Training, & Proficiency: Must be done in that order.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”