A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

2021 - back to Austin

Post by Scott B. »

Actual LTC content!

Looks like we're all headed to Georgetown if today's email is accurate. "...you will receive an invitation email containing class dates along with the instructions for reserving your spot in a class."
Last edited by Scott B. on Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Tex1961

Re: 2021 - back to Georgetown?

Post by Tex1961 »

I’ve not seen anything, when did you get it and what did it say.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Greybeard »

RENEWAL NOTIFICATION

A review of our records indicates your Handgun Instructor Certification will expire on 12/31/2021.

Instructions for submitting a renewal application are as follows:

1. Visit the State of Texas website at https://www.texas.gov/public-safety/tex ... n-license/.

2. Login as a "Returning User" and enter the required information to include your phone number or email address associated with your application.

3. Follow the instructions provided online to submit renewal information and to pay the required fee.

4. Complete the online process and submit the required supporting documentation.

5. Once you have completed all the above and passed the background check, you will receive

an invitation email containing class dates along with the instructions for reserving your

spot in a class.

For more information about Handgun Licensing, please visit the Regulatory Services website at: http://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/ltc/.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Ahh, ok. It’s not a blanket all instructors go to Georgetown this year. I’m a newer instructor and I’m sure others will chime in, but my understanding is that the state does that from time to time. I’m good until 12/2023.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

All instructors should get the email. They just do in batches, probably alphabetically, so as not to overwhelm the system.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

So, we just fill out and submit an LTC-90? I see on the LTC-100 that there is a button for "LTC Instructor Renewal", do we have to shoot with another LTC Instructor and have them fill out an LTC-100, or do we have to re-shoot in Florence when we go?
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vol Texan »

AJSully421 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:38 pm So, we just fill out and submit an LTC-90? I see on the LTC-100 that there is a button for "LTC Instructor Renewal", do we have to shoot with another LTC Instructor and have them fill out an LTC-100, or do we have to re-shoot in Florence when we go?
In ‘21 we shoot in Florence. Then In ‘23, we requalify each other. Back to Florence in ‘25, etc.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Vol Texan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:25 pm
AJSully421 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:38 pm So, we just fill out and submit an LTC-90? I see on the LTC-100 that there is a button for "LTC Instructor Renewal", do we have to shoot with another LTC Instructor and have them fill out an LTC-100, or do we have to re-shoot in Florence when we go?
In ‘21 we shoot in Florence. Then In ‘23, we requalify each other. Back to Florence in ‘25, etc.
First step is to log in as a Returning User & fill out the application to renew your LTC Instructor Certs, & pay the $104 fee. https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/ltc/

Next step is to fill out & sign the LTC-90. When you fill this out, you'll put the expiration date of whatever handgun Instructor course you've taken (NRA Pistol; TCOLE; other recognized course; etc). https://www.dps.texas.gov/Internetforms ... LTC-90.pdf

Third step is to upload the signed LTC-90 & the current certificate for whichever handgun Instructor Certs you listed on the LTC-90. (Ie, upload your LTC-90 + NRA Handgun Instructor Certificate, or whatever Instructor certificate you have). https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/contact/ltc-90.aspx

Then we'll wait till RSD emails out the details for the refresher class.

For the range portion, you'll need to get with another current LTC Instructor & score 90% with both semi-auto & revolver. The instructor grading you should submit the LTC-8 to RSD, & provide you with the LTC-100 with "Instructor Renewal" checked. You'll need to submit your LTC-100 via the same link as for your LTC-90.

I don't think they have the bandwidth to re-shoot every renewing Instructor at Florence. I've only shot there twice, for the LTC Instructor class & the SSC Instructor class. Every renewal I've done since 2015 has been with another instructor.

ETA: Here's a link to the Instructor Renewal page. It has links, & is more concise than what I posted above. If you get a Bad Gateway error, just keep refreshing. It was a little glitchy for me:
https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/handg ... or-updates

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

... so as not to overwhelm the system
.... If you get a Bad Gateway error, just keep refreshing. It was a little glitchy for me:
Heh, and that's probably why RSD sends that email out in batches. :tiphat:

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Took a long time yesterday to get in due to "Bad Gateway" Thanks for reminding me about sending in a copy of instructor cert. Need to go back in and send that.

Concur on shooting with another instructor. As was stated above, have renewed several times and the only times I shot at Florence were initial and SSC Instructor qual.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

How interesting... good to know. Thanks.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

AJSully421 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:33 am
The every four year requal with other instructors helped set the crown jewel in my student records. In 2019, Charles Cotton, John Toppass (“twomillenium” on this forum | RIP), and I met at PSC to requalify each other.

Because of that day, I have the distinct honor of having issued an LTC-100 to Mr. Cotton that year, and he’ll forever be listed on my “student list”.

:woohoo :woohoo
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Vol Texan wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:55 am
AJSully421 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:33 am
The every four year requal with other instructors helped set the crown jewel in my student records. In 2019, Charles Cotton, John Toppass (“twomillenium” on this forum | RIP), and I met at PSC to requalify each other.

Because of that day, I have the distinct honor of having issued an LTC-100 to Mr. Cotton that year, and he’ll forever be listed on my “student list”.

:woohoo :woohoo
Still waiting for a LIKE BUTTON.

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 6

Post by KC5AV »

AF-Odin wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:46 am Concur on shooting with another instructor. As was stated above, have renewed several times and the only times I shot at Florence were initial and SSC Instructor qual.
This. Every renewal I have been through has called for shooting with another instructor.
NRA lifetime member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I’m curious between constitutional carry and having to go to Florence for those that have to renew this year will just give it up. My company has already cut class schedules in half. I did get some encouraging news at the range this morning. Several students were getting their LTC because of constitutional carry. Wanted to protect themselves better from others with no training.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”