Campus Carry after Sept 1

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Campus Carry after Sept 1

Post by jmorris »

At the instructor update I swear that I heard the presenter say that campus carry was only legal if licensed. In the [paid legal service] brochure recently posted it says the difference is that both may carry anywhere on the grounds but only a license holder may carry into building and sporting events. Reading HB 1927 I don't see where it allows for constitutional carry on campus.

What say you?

Edited:
Well, I just noticed the DPS has the new laws posted at https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/handg ... ssion-2021 and it specifically states:
"Unlicensed carry on the physical premises of schools and educational institutions is prohibited under Penal Code Section 46.03. Does not change the “campus carry” provisions requiring possession of an LTC and requiring the license holder carry concealed."

So brochure is wrong.
Last edited by jmorris on Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Campus Carry after Sept 1

Post by Tex1961 »

I’m inclined to agree with you. I looked over HB 1927 and could not find any retraction on campus carry. BUT. Maybe they were talking non premiss such as walkways, parking lots, etc. But definitely NOT into any building without LTC.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

I don't see any provision that allows unlicensed campus carry in HB 1927. The only imaginable scenario I envision where 46.03 wouldn't apply would be INSIDE of your vehicle, under the MPA. (concealed, inside a vehicle that you own or is under your control).

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 3

Post by J.R.@A&M »

jmorris wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:01 pm At the instructor update I swear that I heard the presenter say that campus carry was only legal if licensed. In the [paid legal service] brochure recently posted it says the difference is that both may carry anywhere on the grounds but only a license holder may carry into building and sporting events. Reading HB 1927 I don't see where it allows for constitutional carry on campus.

What say you?

Edited:
Well, I just noticed the DPS has the new laws posted at https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/handg ... ssion-2021 and it specifically states:
"Unlicensed carry on the physical premises of schools and educational institutions is prohibited under Penal Code Section 46.03. Does not change the “campus carry” provisions requiring possession of an LTC and requiring the license holder carry concealed."

So brochure is wrong.
Carrying at sporting events remains prohibited as before.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

J.R.@A&M wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:58 am
jmorris wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:01 pm At the instructor update I swear that I heard the presenter say that campus carry was only legal if licensed. In the [paid legal service] brochure recently posted it says the difference is that both may carry anywhere on the grounds but only a license holder may carry into building and sporting events. Reading HB 1927 I don't see where it allows for constitutional carry on campus.

What say you?

Edited:

So brochure is wrong.
Not entirely true. The campus carry law made it legal for LTCers to conceal carry at college sporting events, unless the school posted 30.06. All other sporting events remain prohibited.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

TAMU System policy and recent communications emphasize 1) no open carry, and 2) no concealed carry “…on A&M property…” without a license.

Per the memo:

“On Sept. 1, 2021, Texas House Bill No. 1927, regarding constitutional carry and open carry of firearms, will go into effect. House Bill 1927 is referred to as the Firearms Carry Act of 2021. The Texas A&M University Office of General Counsel has advised that this legislation does not permit open carry of firearms on Texas A&M University property, nor does it permit open carry on any System member campuses.

Any person who wishes to exercise their right to carry a concealed handgun on Texas A&M University property, as well as any System member campuses/property, must have a state-issued License to Carry permit. All other provisions of campus concealed carry laws, which went into effect Aug. 1, 2016, remain in place.

If you encounter an individual who is openly carrying a firearm on Texas A&M University property, contact Texas A&M University Police at 979-845-2345. In the event of any emergency, dial 911.

If you are a community member at one our System member campuses, please contact your designated law enforcement agency. In the event of any emergency, dial 911.

Please refer to University Rule 34.06.02.M1 Carrying Concealed Handguns on Campus regarding campus concealed carry.”

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

oohrah wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:04 am

What say you?

Edited:

So brochure is wrong.
Not entirely true. The campus carry law made it legal for LTCers to conceal carry at college sporting events, unless the school posted 30.06. All other sporting events remain prohibited.
Can you please give a reference to that in HB1927.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:19 am

What say you?

Edited:

So brochure is wrong.
Oohrah’s point is, I think, from the end of Section 4 of SB 11 (from 2015).

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:19 am

What say you?

Edited:

So brochure is wrong.
Sec 46.035 (b)(2) no longer applies to collegiate sporting events, unless posted 30.06. HB 1927 did not change any campus carry laws.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”