The New LTC Test - needs a redo

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

The New LTC Test - needs a redo

Post by Scott B. »

If you haven't taken the new LTC test, I encourage you to do it as soon as you receive the materials.

RSD needs, 1) an editor, 2) have actual instructors take their tests and provide feedback, and 3) generate a new test.

I counted 6 questions I had issues with. One needs a complete rewrite. Also, I think it's very bad question structure, for our audience, to ask "Does penal code #123 mean XYZ?" What the penal code # is doesn't matter to potential licensees. The important point is what the law means or its impact to them.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The New LTC Test - needs a redo

Post by Tex1961 »

To be fair, the old one was a joke already. I can’t tell any difference. :rules:

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I exported the test from PDF to Word, and corrected a lot of grammar errors, because it is just an embarrassment to give that to students. But, yeah, there is that one question that is beyond help.

The interesting thing is, they managed to keep the answer key the same.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Amazing isn't it. Believe that RSD is checking the block just to have a written test. In the years that I have been teaching with various versions of tests, after completing the class, I have had exactly ONE student not pass on the first attempt. That student was not only a non-English native speaker, it was his third language and he did not learn English until he was an adult. The issue was NOT that he could not understand the questions, but that he was not used to multiple choice tests and initially had issues with answers such as "All of the above are correct." Once we had that issue resolved, he easily passed. That said, we are probably stuck with it for another two years.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

AF-Odin wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:53 am Amazing isn't it. Believe that RSD is checking the block just to have a written test. In the years that I have been teaching with various versions of tests, after completing the class, I have had exactly ONE student not pass on the first attempt. That student was not only a non-English native speaker, it was his third language and he did not learn English until he was an adult. The issue was NOT that he could not understand the questions, but that he was not used to multiple choice tests and initially had issues with answers such as "All of the above are correct." Once we had that issue resolved, he easily passed. That said, we are probably stuck with it for another two years.
I've had one student that if he missed one more question wouldn't have passed the first go round. I do however prompt students before taking the test that there are a couple of questions that will be confusing. I try to prepare for those two questions, and encourage them to raise their hand if they still have issues with it and allow them to rephrase the question to me in their own words to see if they actually understand it. But even so I have quite a few miss those two questions on the old test. Not because of their misunderstanding of the concepts, but of the poorly worded questions. But in all reality, most of the questions my students miss are from rushing through the test and just not reading them through.

I see this test as a bit better than the old one. But I'll still have to follow my old procedures.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Crossfire wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:11 pm I exported the test from PDF to Word, and corrected a lot of grammar errors, because it is just an embarrassment to give that to students. But, yeah, there is that one question that is beyond help.

The interesting thing is, they managed to keep the answer key the same.
That was going to be my question.
NRA lifetime member

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

My standard pre-test spiel includes the line, "Test writing is a skill. It is not one that Regulatory Services Division has...."
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “Instructors' Corner”