First Responder Training Aug. 10-12 report Day 3 Update

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 7

Re: First Responder Training Aug. 10-12 report Day 3 Update

Post by troglodyte »

Something I remembered while reading AF's list of dates was the first class was at the end of April. In chit chat during class, Trooper Gallo said they reworked some things, all of which had to go by RDS and the lawyers. It sounded like a nightmare. That may be the reason for the long delay between Class 1 and Class 2, along with the range schedule had already been set so they were trying to find dates to shoehorn classes in to.

After our class (#2) they did away with the first responders having to take the written pretest. The pretest was just the LTC test and it was brought up that some of these folks may not have been to an LTC class in decades so they might have a very difficult time with some of the new questions. Couple that with part of our instruction is a lot of the LTC laws. So, if they pretested and passed, why do we need to teach what they just passed? If they failed then we don't get to teach the the new LTC laws to them. Reason prevailed and they did away with the written pretest. They may have change some other things but I haven't heard any that pertain to how we teach the class.

Our daily schedule was also modified since it was so hot. We flipped some classroom/range time so we we could shoot in the morning when it was "cooler".

I'll be interested to hear AF's experience. Please keep us posted.
Last edited by troglodyte on Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 7

Re: First Responder Training Aug. 10-12 report Day 3 Update

Post by troglodyte »

AF-Odin said: Agree with Trog, would not feel too safe if there was more than 20 or so in the class if folks are drawing and firing and there is movement involved. When I took the School Safety Class, we only had 8 in my class. Good group and we had a lot of fun. .
Over on another thread regarding the 1st Responder class we had a quick discussion about class size. I never felt in danger with 30 of us in class. They had 1 trooper for every 5 students and at least a couple of more troopers. When we did movement and barrier drills we were broken into groups and spread out across the 60 lane range. These drills were run as a coach/shooter pair so there was only three pairs moving at any given time. Safety was briefed before each range session and specific safety concerns with each drill.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”