First Responder Training Aug. 10-12 report Day 3 Update

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 7

First Responder Training Aug. 10-12 report Day 3 Update

Post by troglodyte »

We finished up our first day. Nothing too exciting. Intro, qual, definitions, and laws. I think the troopers were expecting the same spirited discussion as they had in the first class with some of the definitions and laws but they prefaced each trouble spot so we just waited until the explanation was given. We had some discussion but nothing went off the rails. As usual, the troopers were professional and welcoming.

Good news is they allowed 40 (actually overbooked 43) in the class but only 30 showed up. The troopers were told the number was going to increase per class since there are over 500 on the waiting list and limited times when the range is available. Good so more folks can take it. Bad since the class is larger.

One thing that was made evident is this law was targeted towards rural counties. The big municipalities and counties will be able to exempt themselves. If you’re in a county of over 250,000 or muni over 30,000 and don’t have any prospects in the surrounding smaller counties then you may want to reconsider your investment in this class.

Tomorrow is the long day. 8 a.m.to 10 p.m. since we have low light training.

Day 2

It was a late one and by the time I got back to the hotel so it was shower, pack a little, and get to bed.

Day 2 covered holsters, grip, stance, natural point of aim, reloading, sight picture, draw and presentation, lots of dry fire.

Now that all sounds pretty basic but I always learn something new or, maybe more importantly, unlearn some bad habits. We ran several movement drills as a coach/shooter so we could shoot it and see how to coach it.

Every drill we have run consists of instruction, dry demo, and then hot demo. You’d better make sure you’re on your game if you have to demo it for your students. I’ve got a couple of things I need to polish up.

We ended up with low light. Discussed light sources, flashlights, flashlight holds, and transitions with a light range work was from holster (both handgun and flashlight) to different holds and favorite holds. Weapon lights were also discussed and used by those that had them. Night sights or dots were discussed as a necessity for carry.

We have 4 or 5 high speed guys in class. What has impressed me is they have as much trigger time and /or experience than the instructors and they go through the class and range just like it was their first day. I take that to mean they know the foundational skills are still important no matter how slick you are. A good lesson for me…and all of us.

We’ll finish up this afternoon and then I’m on the road so Day 3 update will be later tomorrow.

DAY 3

After a seemingly short night we started in the classroom and covered cover and concealment with a lengthy discussion on using vehicles. We then went to the range and shot from unconventional positions. We shot from lying on our sides, sitting, kneeling, and transitioning to standing. Honestly, we had a few guys that I’m not sure how they got up and down. I can’t imagine how they are going to effectively demo these drills to students.

Once we dusted ourselves off and reloaded we shot around barricades.

We finished up in the classroom with deescalation and storage. Some of it was LTC stuff while most of it was tailored more towards fire or EMS. The test closed things out. Everyone passed.

Some take-aways

-Electronic ear pro is needed.
-Bring clear eye pro for low light.
-Have a good holster. A paddle Kydex worked well for me.
-Knee pads were helpful today for those of us with a touch of bursitis. Pads also help you from kneeling on a piece of brass.
-The class ran fine but we didn’t get to do some walkthroughs because of the class size. Class size is not likely to change.
-The final is not hard if you paid a lick of attention and have some common sense.
-Make sure your gear is squared away. Things still happen but having a fresh battery or a back up gun makes problems less of a problem.
-Bring at least 3 mags. 4 or more is better.
-You should be fine with the recommended 400 rounds but take 500.
-Bring at least 2 mag holsters. I found three was nice.
-Bring a towel for the barrel during quals. It’s also nice to have to wipe sweat if you have 100 degree days like we did.
-Move with purpose. Don’t be the guy that casually strolls across the range when the instructor is waiting for you to join the group.
-Read the information they sent you. Read it again.
-If it’s hot like our class was, bring plenty to drink and drink it. A bottle of Gatorade or Liquid IV can help.
-For some the drills were refreshers. For others it was the first time to run a drill. It’s ok either way.
-The DPS were professional and patient as they always are.

Personally I think you ought to run the course with the gear you normally wear or close to it. We had some high speed guys that wore their load out or duty holsters because that’s what they wear most everyday. We also had “desk” guys that geared up with all their tac gear. It seemed a little much for what we were doing. I don’t usually wear tactical pants or carry three mags but it makes sense for training. Battle belts with drop holsters and doo-dads seemed a little much for what the class is and how most of us go through our normal day. Just my opinion. You do you.

Overall it was an enjoyable and informative, albeit hot and long, class. I don’t know that I’ll ever have any takers but I’ll throw it out there. I can use the drills and info in other classes.
Last edited by troglodyte on Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Re: First Responder Training Aug. 10-12 report

Post by Tex1961 »

Nice, please keep us informed. I can imagine a group of experienced, salty instructors giving DPS a spirited conversation. I’m a totally different person now than when I went for the first time to just get my instructor cert. I’ve said it before in other posts, I never really expected to actually get the chance to give a first responder class. I’m more interested in getting training by DPS in low light, moving, etc. can’t beat the price for that type of training.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Thank you for the update!! :cheers2:

Glad to hear that I might get a chance to take the class in a reasonable time frame. Perhaps next year.

I have traveled across the state to give training to National Guard deployed on the border and others who live in rural areas that don't have access to the training opportunities we take for granted in DFW, so I expect I may end up traveling to do First Responder Training.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AF-Odin »

I'm with Paladin. Glad the classes are getting a bit larger (just hope the weather cools off a little before I get my chance).
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
troglodyte

Re: First Responder Training Aug. 10-12 report Day 2 Update

Post by troglodyte »

Updated original post
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

Nice roll up, & looking forward for your Day 3 notes! Safe travels home.

Question: the welcome letter didn't specifically prohibit red dot sights (as opposed to how the LTC Instructor & SSC classes stated 'no optical devices'). Are they allowing red dot sights for this class?

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Expand on “up your game”. At 61 a bit of asthma and arthritis, I’m not 100% sure if I’m physically able to run the course.

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Mike S wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:51 pm Nice roll up, & looking forward for your Day 3 notes! Safe travels home.

Question: the welcome letter didn't specifically prohibit red dot sights (as opposed to how the LTC Instructor & SSC classes stated 'no optical devices'). Are they allowing red dot sights for this class?
You may run red dots. Several of us used them. The troopers said they were getting caught up on the times and as long as it didn’t magnify or project on the target is was ok. Make sure you have a fresh battery or you can change it quickly. One guy was running a Romeo (I assume Zero) and his battery died and he had to take his sight off the gun. He missed out on part of the range. Thankfully it was the last range drill of the day.

I went ahead and changed mine out even though I usually do it on my bday (Jan.) and took a spare. I also took a spare gun in case my EDC took a dump. I was a little surprised at the number of folks that didn’t bring a back up gun. We had the discussion since another guy was having troubles with his but got it worked out.
Last edited by troglodyte on Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talon Firearms Training

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Tex1961 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:58 pm Expand on “up your game”. At 61 a bit of asthma and arthritis, I’m not 100% sure if I’m physically able to run the course.
The DPS expects us to explain, dry-fire demonstrate, and live-fire demonstrate each drill. Some drills require kneeling, laying on your side, and laying on your back. It’s going to take some practice to demonstrate some of the drills and still look competent. I did ok but I wouldn’t want to demonstrate the way I did it in class to a student. My movements and shooting could/should be better. I’m going to need to practice more.
Talon Firearms Training

AF-Odin

Re: First Responder Training Aug. 10-12 report Day 3 Update

Post by AF-Odin »

Trog,
Thanks so much for the run-down. Doesn't sound like anything that is un-do-able even for us somewhat older guys as long as we have kept ourselves in reasonable condition and shoot more than just standing on the firing line
:fire
AF-Odin
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

AF-Odin wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:44 am Trog,
Thanks so much for the run-down. Doesn't sound like anything that is un-do-able even for us somewhat older guys as long as we have kept ourselves in reasonable condition and shoot more than just standing on the firing line
:fire
This is a fair assessment. I am blessed to be fairly agile and still have a decent range of motion as I sniff 60. Things aren't as effortless or fluid as they used to be but I get by pretty well for an older guy.

I'm going to have to practice the drills until I can't mess them up during demonstrations. Students will emulate so I have to be able to show them the correct way, fairly effortlessly, so they will understand what to do and how to do it. Not much else destroys the credibility of an instructor than when he can't do what he is teaching. There are exceptions, like some handicap, but being out of shape and can't get off the ground without floundering around is not a exception in my thinking. I may not have to move like I'm 25 but I better be able to move with purpose and efficiency.

Speaking of the student emulating your performance, we don't have to shoot a string through a ragged hole in 1.5 seconds (I wish I could). Rather, we need to show good combat accuracy in an acceptable time. I don't need a student trying to move and shoot trying to keep up with or beat my performance. They need to move and shoot at the "speed of control" as Trooper Gallo puts it.
Talon Firearms Training

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for the update!! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Got my invite for the First Responder Training this morning. Class is 31 Aug to 2 Sep. Unfortunately, that is the ONE time I am not able to make it as I will be attending an event in Kansas that cannot be moved. Sent them an email declining and asking to be on the next class. Really want to attend, but cannot miss a family event that has been planned for a year.
:cryin
AF-Odin
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:51 am Got my invite for the First Responder Training this morning. Class is 31 Aug to 2 Sep. Unfortunately, that is the ONE time I am not able to make it as I will be attending an event in Kansas that cannot be moved. Sent them an email declining and asking to be on the next class. Really want to attend, but cannot miss a family event that has been planned for a year.
:cryin
Of course they scheduled you on the one week you can't attend.... Doesn't it always work like that...

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Well, Class #3 is ending today, the one I was invited to but could not attend. But there is JOY in Mudville as this week I received confirmation of a place in Class #4 21 Sep thru 23 Sep. With Class #2 10-12 Aug, Class #3 31 Aug-2 Sep and #4 21-23 Sep, looks like they are trying to clear some of the back-log of applicants.

Anyone else from this community confirmed for this class?
:anamatedbanana
AF-Odin
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”