Lighthouse for the Blind LH101 targets

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

jamisjockey
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lighthouse for the Blind LH101 targets

Post by jamisjockey »

jimlongley wrote:
At the risk of being branded terminally insensitive, I will point out that these people are, after all, blind, therefore you can't expect their copies to be absolutely perfect..

I'll speak from an area of personal experience when it comes to the handicapped (my Mother and several family members on that side are Deaf). Something different I'd like to point out. I might get called insensitive, too, but quite frankly, I don't care.
Many of these charities that provide jobs making various items for the handicapped are quite simply ignorant of capitalisim. You end up paying a premimum to purchase products from them, vs what market value should be on said items. It is a rip off. As Chalres pointed out, their "discounted" price is way above what you can purchase the correct targets for.
Not to veer the topic further....but.....
Guess who gets vending preference from the federal government? Yeah, any company that employs the blind/deaf/etc. I have personally been involved in contracting vending at a federal facility, and we gave up after realizing how screwed up it was. The cost was about 30% more than a normal company.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

jamisjockey wrote:Guess who gets vending preference from the federal government? Yeah, any company that employs the blind/deaf/etc. I have personally been involved in contracting vending at a federal facility, and we gave up after realizing how screwed up it was. The cost was about 30% more than a normal company.
One company that I worked for [defense contractor] bought office supplies [ink pens] from a company owned by Native Americans. Most of the pens immediately ended up the the trash can because they didn't work. When I complained to the buyer, I was told that they "had to buy from them". I will also add that many of these companies have "figurehead owners" so that they can get preferential treatment from government contractors.

So what's the verdict on the Blind LH101 targets? Legal or not?
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 7

Post by MasterOfNone »

WildBill wrote:So what's the verdict on the Blind LH101 targets? Legal or not?
The CHL instructor email responded:
I’ll forward your question to our training department in order to receive a response.
So, still awaiting an answer.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Topic author
MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

DPS responded:
The cardboard NRA B-27 target is the only one that has been approved for use. I have talked to the company which placed the ad, and they said they will rectify the issue.
I sent a follow-up to clarify whether he meant "of the 2 targets shown by Lighthouse, only the cardboard is approved" and not "no paper targets whatsoever are approved."
DFW area LTC Instructor

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

MasterOfNone wrote:DPS responded:
The cardboard NRA B-27 target is the only one that has been approved for use. I have talked to the company which placed the ad, and they said they will rectify the issue.
I sent a follow-up to clarify whether he meant "of the 2 targets shown by Lighthouse, only the cardboard is approved" and not "no paper targets whatsoever are approved."
If they are the same size, I wonder why paper target are not acceptable. :???:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

WildBill wrote:
MasterOfNone wrote:DPS responded:
If they are the same size, I wonder why paper target are not acceptable. :???:
This is why I suspect he meant "of the two shown in the Lighthouse ad..."
DFW area LTC Instructor

MoJo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MoJo »

When I was at the CHL instructors class in May of 2010, I remember Sgt Bamsch telling us he didn't care if we used paper or cardboard, red, black, blue or green as long as they were B27 targets. He further stated they had to be full size 24"X48" targets and not the B27E that is cut off at the 7 ring on the bottom. I think Lighthouse didn't know about the "B27" specification when they offered the "B27 like" paper target.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”