New Renewal Application CHL-77 (08/2014)

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
txtaxman
Posts in topic: 1

New Renewal Application CHL-77 (08/2014)

Post by txtaxman »

A man called wanting to renew his CHL, but he has no computer access or skills (his words). I said I would mail him the paper forms.

When I checked the DPS web page, I discovered a new CHL-77. The only item on the instruction page is the Privacy Policy . Although there is no mention of the CHL-85 and CHL-86 Affidavits, I have not seen anything to indicate they are not required to be submitted with a paper renewal application.
Lamar County

infoman

Re: New Renewal Application CHL-77 (08/2014)

Post by infoman »

To renew by mail, you MUST have: CHL-77, CHL-85 & CHL-86. trust me on this. & yes I know this is for Renewal. I'm 100% certain.

WhiteLightning

Post by WhiteLightning »

Just tell him to go to the local library and use their computer. Renewals are so easy online!

switch
Posts in topic: 2

Post by switch »

Offer to help him on your computer - for a fee. :)

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

switch wrote:Offer to help him on your computer - for a fee. :)
:iagree: on the offer to help. I dont charge though. Dont have a problem w/ those who do.
Here in Deep East Texas there are a LOT of folks that still do not have computers or access to one. Recently I have done this for 2 students. Several months ago I did the App here for a successful & quit well to do logger here. Basically my age. Dad died when he was young & he went to the woods in East Texas as a kid. Never got much school at all.
He is the last one I had to read the test to. No one in his family owns a computer.
When I asked him if he knew anyone w/ a computer his answer was: :headscratch thinking, Well I probably know someone who has one, but I dont know who it would be.
He came to my house & we did it in about 30 min while talking too. He is still sending me folks. Not everyone I have helped that way sends me new students but for me it is part of helps for my students.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

switch
Posts in topic: 2

Post by switch »

I help my students (and don't charge them) too.
However, this was a renewal (no renewal class fees). It may not even have been one of his students, the applicant may have gone to another instructor initially or moved into his area. I don't think it would be unreasonable to charge him $25 to help process the paperwork.

hankintexas

Post by hankintexas »

If he is in Sugar Land and willing to buy me a cup of coffee, I will meet him and let him use my laptop to renew
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Instructors' Corner”