Lowest CHL Price?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Lowest CHL Price?

Post by howdy »

I saw this groupon today. $36....that is the lowest I've seen.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/focus-fire ... 31a6afc3ec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Lowest CHL Price?

Post by TVGuy »

I wouldn't take a CHL class from an instructor using Groupon. Means they can't fill it at all and probably for a reason.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

TVGuy wrote:I wouldn't take a CHL class from an instructor using Groupon. Means they can't fill it at all and probably for a reason.
That is not necessarily the case. Often times instructors offer discount. I don't believe instructors can make a living just off of CHL classes. Most of them just want to encourage people to carry or get involved in the sport of shooting.

V-Tach

Post by V-Tach »

I saw a truck at the Saxet Show in Robstown last weekend advertising CHL for $35.00...

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

TVGuy wrote:I wouldn't take a CHL class from an instructor using Groupon. Means they can't fill it at all and probably for a reason.
I don't think that's true at all. Business get their best advertising by word of mouth. The more satisfied customers you have spreading the word, the more business you will get. Discounts bring customers. I know they get my attention for things I want to purchase. Every smart business offers a discount at times, except those whose owners/management think that their product is so superior that offering a discount would "cheapen" it. That's a poor way of doing business.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I can't imagine any merchant using Groupon! As I have been told, the merchant must discount the fee by 50% for Groupon customers, then Groupon takes half of the reduced fee leaving the merchant only 25% of their regular fee. Then Groupon pays in two payments; the first for 80% of what's owned, then another check for 20% a month later.

Not me under any circumstances!
Chas.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I can't imagine any merchant using Groupon! As I have been told, the merchant must discount the fee by 50% for Groupon customers, then Groupon take half of the reduced fee leaving the merchant only 25% of their regular fee. Then Groupon pays in two payments; the first for 80% of what's owned, then another check for 20% a month later.

Not me under any circumstances!
Chas.
This is my point exactly. Groupon is a TERRIBLE deal for the company. If they are willing to do something that bad, their product must be horrible.

For example: If I usually offer a service for $100 and decide to do a groupon. I must offer the product for a MAXIMUM of $50. Of this $50, I get $25 and Groupon gets $25. Not to mention the payment schedule mentioned above.

If I'm willing to take something for $25 that I actually value at $100 it's either too marked up to begin with, or I'm really hurting business-wise. If the CHL class was that good, they would be able to get referrals.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

One more thought: You (usually) get what you pay for. Firearms training is not where I want to skimp.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

I didn't do my CHL class through Groupon, but I did a firearms safety class with my wife through a Groupon. Both the safety class and the CHL class were at Central Texas Gun Works, which is regarded as one of the best in the Austin area.

Having a Groupon doesn't necessarily mean the class is going to be bad.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Once again, the Groupon deal is not permanent. An established business uses it to build it's customer base, find new customers, reduce old inventory, and gain new word of mouth referrals. A new or newer CHL instructor has no customer base to start with, and may use Groupon to establish a base from which referrals will come. Referrals will come based on how good the class is, not the discount price.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

TVGuy wrote:One more thought: You (usually) get what you pay for. Firearms training is not where I want to skimp.
:iagree:
I'd rather pay $95 and learn the laws covering self defense and other CHL related topics from someone with credibility -- like Mr Cotton's class tomorrow!
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Saffron

Post by Saffron »

howdy wrote:I saw this groupon today. $36....that is the lowest I've seen.
I saw $35 advertised after the class time was reduced. No groupon or other gimmicks.
I do know my Bible, sir.

gemini

Post by gemini »

carlson1 wrote:
That is not necessarily the case. Often times instructors offer discount. I don't believe instructors can make a living just off of CHL classes. Most of them just want to encourage people to carry or get involved in the sport of shooting.

I think Carlson1 hit the nail on the head. Some, maybe. But most do it because they are "into" shooting sports and want to encourage/teach others. Spread the joy so to speak..... :clapping:

switch
Posts in topic: 3

Post by switch »

You have to discount your prices significantly for Groupon. OTOH, about half of those people never show up. The rest usually come during another class. Therefore I am able to work them in at no extra cost - just a little longer on the range. :)

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Switch and G26ster have it exactly right.

groupon is simply a way of gaining names for a businesses mailing list, and it's a way of gain clientele.
for the customers.....some people will buy the groupon as a "coupon" thinking "hey, I think this might be fun to do with John. It's a good price. We'll see what happens" Other people will buy the coupon because they have been planning on taking the class and this will make it easier for them to afford it.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “Instructors' Corner”