Questions about June '07 New Instructor School

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Questions about June '07 New Instructor School

Post by Greybeard »

I'm due back for renewal #6 in early August and can say I can't recall ever seeing the same lawyer doing the "legal update" presentation twice.
What's the name of their lawyer this year?

And how did he/she go about presenting their "take" on the new Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground law?

Com. Rodriguez do the "Deadly Force" presentation for ya?

Did Starr Riddle check in from "retirement"?

BTW, y'all realize ya got off "lucky" as this is the first year it's been done in June and not August!
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

GrannyGlock
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GrannyGlock »

Jeana Shaw was the legal presenter. She went over each of the laws that had been enacted, old and new, but deferred the actual "castle doctrine" to the deadly force presenter. She also deferred going into much detail on a few things that had not been actually signed into law yet, so you guys should get a stronger presentation on some of the new stuff.

The overall presenter and moderator is Sgt Jimmy Holmes. Sgt Robert Ripps was the Range staff who did multiple presentations. They were both obviously very passionate about what they did.

Lt. Erwin Ballarta did the Use of Force section and I thought he was excellent. Over the course of his afternoon presentation, I certain got the feeling of "do what you have to do, when you have to do it, wherever you have to do it" taking into consideration the circumstances and the surroundings, etc.

No sign of Starr Riddle, other than I think Holmes used her slides on occassion. The weather was excellent.

I really enjoyed meeting the other Forum members. If there were others there, they should have made themselves known!

For me, the first day was the hardest and the longest 8am-9pm. The most anxiety came over reading we would have to qualify firing at 3 yds with weapon hand and reaction hand. Later that was changed back to firing with both hands. No one seems to know where that change came from or why.

The actual qualifying was really fun, as target shooting always is, although from my increased HR I know that I was under stress!

I learned a lot, and take this job even more seriously than I did when I started. There are a lot of people out there that should be carrying and we need to convince them to get their plastic and carry lawfully!

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

GG-

Thanks for the "update".

Ya think her name mighta been O'Shaw?

Quote: "The most anxiety came over reading we would have to qualify firing at 3 yds with weapon hand and reaction hand. Later that was changed back to firing with both hands. No one seems to know where that change came from or why. "

That sounds like something that Ripps would come up with - probably with good cause, as he does take it all quite seriously. Probably overuled by "the spirit of the law" or some such. I recall Ripps being the first to allow malfunction clearances during our "demonstrations of proficiency".
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

match308
Posts in topic: 1

Post by match308 »

GrannyGlock wrote: I learned a lot, and take this job even more seriously than I did when I started. There are a lot of people out there that should be carrying and we need to convince them to get their plastic and carry lawfully!
Ditto. Better instruction than I expected.
T.Bannister

Return to “Instructors' Corner”