Finally I am offered the CHL Instructor's Class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 9

Finally I am offered the CHL Instructor's Class

Post by BCGlocker »

I am jazzed that I just received an email to attend the CHL Instructor's Class in either Jan. or May of 2016. I opt for the Jan class. FYI, I submitted all my documents in Jun17, 2015. Looking forward to the class.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

mloamiller
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Finally I am offered the CHL Instructor's Class

Post by mloamiller »

I received the same email, and also opted for January. Now just have to wait for the confirmation.

I submitted all of my docs on 10/7, so it only took two months, much quicker than I expected. Maybe they are finally catching up with demand?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

jmorris
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmorris »

Same here. Submitted end of June, just got the notice today. Opted for the January class. I just hope that since I didn't log on until 7:30 I missed all the spots.

I also can't believe the next one isn't until May. I would have thought they'd be running almost every quarter.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

jmorris wrote:Same here. Submitted end of June, just got the notice today. Opted for the January class. I just hope that since I didn't log on until 7:30 I missed all the spots.

I also can't believe the next one isn't until May. I would have thought they'd be running almost every quarter.
I replied 10 minutes after the arrival of DPS email. 15 minutes later, I received a Jan. class confirmation. I think you will be OK, since it only been few hours.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

jmorris
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmorris »

And I got the confirmation this morning around 9. Looking forward to seeing you all.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

It seems the classroom location is out in the boonies. The closest hotel is in Georgetown which is 20 min. away. Does anyone know any closer accommodations?
Last edited by BCGlocker on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

thunderarms
Posts in topic: 1

Post by thunderarms »

There is absolutly nothing out there, there is one convienenet store in the area but thats it. no other hotels. anyway congrats and good luck to all of ya. I think yall will enjoy the class.
Member Lee County Sheriffs office

Erick Drake
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Erick Drake »

As stated, the facility is in the middle of nowhere for the most part. The drive is not too bad though, to/from the closest hotels. I think it took about 15-20 to drive. Even with the road construction going on, I never had any delays due to traffic or anything else that made the drive take any longer than about 20.
Founder - Ellington Arms
Texas DPS Certified LTC Instructor
NRA Certified Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Put my packet in at the end of September. Did not get an invite for the upcoming classes and thought, "That's not good."

Checked my spam filters. No joy.

Called RSD and it went something like this.

Very polite woman on the phone, "Sir, you did not submit your documents."

Equally polite, but frustrated caller, "Actually, I did submit my documents, even got the confirmation email on Sept 27th."

Silence. Followed by a muttered, "....whoops."

Whoops?

"Sir, somebody will have to call you back, may I have your number?"

2 weeks and 2 calls later, with never a return call from the state, I tried one last time.

"Sir, your documents are in the system and they're doing your background."

"Let me guess, I won't get into a class until the second half of the year?"

"Yep."

...end scene.

Merry Christmas. :txflag:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Whew! RSD got things sorted out and today I received an email offering me a slot in the May class.

If the January class folks will consider offering an after action report on hotels, food, the class, etc., it will be greatly appreciated.

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

After Action Report for the Instructor's course on Jan. 20--22, 2016.

I finished the instructor's course today. There were 98 students and about 6 instructors. On day 3 is the "proficiency demonstration". I had to be there at 7:30 AM for the 8 AM first relay. It was a bit of windy and about 38 degree but still every shootable. We had 48 students shooting relay one. Although I can't see the entire line, but from what I saw, most students were all good shots. The course was well organized and pretty easy to pass. It was interesting to observe that 3 or 4 Springfield XD pistols had light strikes and several students could not get all their shots off. I know one student had to reshoot with the second relay using a burrowed gun, not sure about rest of them, as they were not near me.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

BCGlocker wrote:After Action Report for the Instructor's course on Jan. 20--22, 2016.

I finished the instructor's course today. There were 98 students and about 6 instructors. On day 3 is the "proficiency demonstration". I had to be there at 7:30 AM for the 8 AM first relay. It was a bit of windy and about 38 degree but still every shootable. We had 48 students shooting relay one. Although I can't see the entire line, but from what I saw, most students were all good shots. The course was well organized and pretty easy to pass. It was interesting to observe that 3 or 4 Springfield XD pistols had light strikes and several students could not get all their shots off. I know one student had to reshoot with the second relay using a burrowed gun, not sure about rest of them, as they were not near me.
I was there as well, but in the second relay. We had a couple of folks from the first relay doing their re-shoot, and I believe they both qualified.

Definitely colder and windier than I would have liked, but it was manageable.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Did they care if you shot revolver or pistol first?

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Scott B. wrote:Did they care if you shot revolver or pistol first?
They wanted us to shoot revolver first unless you are sharing a revolver. In this case, they allowed semi to be shot with the revolver relay. The entire shooting process is very tightly regulated. For example, they dictate how many round you can load per each string.

One interesting note that they told us to fight though any malfunctions we may encounter. However, they only allowed one magazine and no extra round can be loaded. For example, load 5 round only for a string of two shots and a string of 3 shots. How are we going to "fix" the malfunction if there is not extra found or extra magazine within the allowed time period? Luckily, for most of us there war no malfunctions.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

dogflight
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dogflight »

BCGlocker wrote: How are we going to "fix" the malfunction if there is not extra found or extra magazine within the allowed time period? Luckily, for most of us there war no malfunctions.
The reasoning is to have you complete the course of fire as much as possible. If, for instance, you have a misfire on the second shot of a 5-shot course, clear the bad round and resume shooting. Assuming you work quickly and get off all remaining shots, you'll lose only 5 points for the one dropped round. On the other hand, by not "fighting your way through the malfunction" you risk losing 20 points for four dropped rounds.

Learning to clear a jamb or deal with a malfunction should be second nature and as instantaneous as you can learn to make it. In a real-world tactical event, points have no meaning - by not "fighting your way through the malfunction" you risk losing everything.
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”