A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Non-NRA Approved Instructor Courses

Post by RossA »

I know that this was discussed several years ago when the state first started enforcing the "other nationally recognized handgun instructor certification" rule. I'm wondering if any new "approved" certifications have been added since then?
I know that NRA pistol instructor is approved, as well as TCOLE pistol instructor, but it seems that there would have to be some other classes that qualify. It looks like a good market to get into if there isn't something already available.
Some of us just don't like having to deal with NRA, and it would be nice to have alternatives.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Non-NRA Approved Instructor Courses

Post by kg5ie »

I believe that Private Security Officer Pistol Instructor qualifies.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

jmorris
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmorris »

kg5ie wrote:I believe that Private Security Officer Pistol Instructor qualifies.
Which, coincidentally, the NRA Pistol Instructor certification qualifies you for.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

do you mean with nra cert that you would be able to do a course for security guards for the handgun ?
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

o b juan wrote:do you mean with nra cert that you would be able to do a course for security guards for the handgun ?
What I love is that being a LTC instructor only qualifies you as a classroom instructor while the NRA certification only qualifies you as a firearms instructor.

(a) An application for approval as a training instructor shall contain evidence of qualification as required by the department. Instructors may be approved for classroom or firearm training, or both. An individual may apply for approval for one or both of these categories. To qualify for classroom or firearm instructor approval, the applicant must submit acceptable certificates of training for each category. The classroom instructor and firearm certificates shall represent a combined minimum of forty (40) hours of department approved instruction.
(b) The items detailed in this subsection may constitute proof of qualification as a classroom instructor for security officers:
(1) An instructor's certificate issued by Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE);
(2) An instructor's certificate issued by federal, state, or political subdivision law enforcement agency approved by the department;
(3) An instructor's certificate issued by the Texas Education Agency (TEA);
(4) An instructor's certificate relating to law enforcement, private security, or industrial security issued by a junior college, college, or university; or
(5) A concealed handgun instructor certificate issued by the department.
(c) The items listed in this subsection may constitute proof of qualification as a firearm training instructor, if reflecting training completed within two (2) years of the date of the application:
(1) A handgun instructor's certificate issued by the National Rifle Association;
(2) A firearm instructor's certificate issued by TCOLE; or
(3) A firearm instructor's certificate issued by a federal, state, or political subdivision law enforcement agency approved by the department.

http://txrules.elaws.us/rule/title37_ch ... sec.35.143
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

It just seems strange that the rules for an approved instructor course are so restrictive. Almost none of us who are LTC instructors are also TCOLE certified instructors, even if we are veteran LEO's. Almost none of us are military certified instructors, even if we shot for decades in the military. The vast, vast majority of LTC instructors in this state are stuck with NRA classes, which gives NRA one hell of a monopoly on this training, not to mention regular renewals.
There has to be a way to have some options for certification.
I just don't like being forced into a monopoly's "take it or leave it."

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Scott B. »

You need a state or national organization willing to spend the money to develop a training standard, the personnel to run it, the materials, and the resources to manage it all. Get all that done, and then you have to convince the state that it's an appropriate program.

That narrows the field considerably,

The SAF (Second Amendment Foundation) has a certification program you could always check into. You'll find it's a little more involved than the NRA program, but if you want options they exist.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

How do we go about finding out if the state accepts the SAF certification?

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Regulatory Service Division would be the point of contact.

http://dps.texas.gov/rsd/contact/default.aspx
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

V-Tach

Post by V-Tach »

The NRA changed their rules to allow to use non-NRA courses to keep Instructor credentials valid. We are under no obligation to teach NRA courses currently. The cost of the NRA credential renewal is minuscule compared to what we get in return. The NRA has been doing a heck of a lot for us, whether some see or believe it.........or not.....

jmho..... :cheers2:

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I just don't like being forced into one class with no options. I can understand DPS having just one class, because they are the ones giving out licenses. But as far as the outside classes go, almost all of us are forced into one type of class. Who thinks that the NRA is the only group that knows about guns?

V-Tach

Post by V-Tach »

lol.... :lol::

I would say that most of us have chosen the easiest and least expensive way to meet the State's requirements for being LTC Instructors..........

Just a different perspective........... :cheers2:

There just aren't a lot of Nationally recognized certifications out there to choose from, imho............

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

I am interested to find out how you feel about submitting students' personal information including address and phone # to NRA for an non-NRA class. I feel that I need to get students' OK to do this.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

V-Tach

Post by V-Tach »

I am somewhat apprehensive about student information, sure...

NRA gives us the option whether you want to share the students information. I always check no. To my knowledge, no LTC student of mine has ever been contacted by the NRA or anyone else in all the years I've been instructing......

Address, phone number, age, etc. isn't difficult or even private anymore, imho. To prove my point, I showed a local LEO just that by typing his name and city of residence into Google......

Not only was his personal information available, but included a picture of their home with their cars in the driveway. He wasn't happy knowing any person with bad intent could Google that kind of information about he and his family.

I take them at their word they are not sharing or utilizing the information. I have no reason not believe them currently.

jmho.......and I'm sure not all share it...

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

For my non NRA classes. I enter name, date, city, zip code, approx year of birth, and a lot of "chose not to answer" or "555-555-5555".
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “Instructors' Corner”