Name Change

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Sangiovese
Posts in topic: 2

Name Change

Post by Sangiovese »

I know that GC §411.181 says that if a licensee changes their name or address, they must apply for a duplicate license within 30 days.

My question is... how do you do that for a name change?

If you go to https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/ and log in, you have options to change your mailing address, residence address, contact information, or report a lost or stolen license... but none of those options allow you to change you name.

I have a client who has changed her name and wants to update her license, but her calls and emails to DPS have not been returned, and there doesn't appear to be any way for her to submit the duplicate license application for a name change online.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Name Change

Post by Pawpaw »

I would say go here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/forms/index.htm

Download the proper form (which appears to be CHL-70), fill it out and mail it along with supporting documents and a check.

Hope this helps. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Sangiovese
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Name Change

Post by Sangiovese »

I could have sworn I looked there... but if I did, I'm not sure how I missed it! :oops:

In any event, thanks for the help. That's exactly what I needed.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”