A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 1

Instructor Record Retention

Post by mloamiller »

The instructions for the CHL-100 form include this statement:
Texas Administrative Code §6.87 requires instructors to make this record, as well as other documents, available for
inspection by the Department and requires the records to be maintained for three (3) years after course completion.
As far as I know, that's the only CHL document that includes that instruction; however, I checked the Administrative Code that is referenced and it seems to indicate that every document is included, including test results and proficiency targets:
(a) Records to be retained and available for inspection. A certified handgun instructor shall make available for inspection to the department any and all records maintained by a certified handgun instructor under the Act. A certified handgun instructor shall retain the following:
(1) a record of each document reflecting the instructor's certification of proficiency as provided in §6.11(d) of this title (relating to Proficiency Requirements);
(2) a record of each license applicant who has applied for instruction, whether accepted or rejected for instruction;
(3) post-test scores;
(4) written critiques or notes made by the instructor;
(5) proficiency demonstrations;
(6) course materials; and
(7) copies of reports submitted to the department.
(b) Records must be retained for a period of three years after completion. Records must be stored in a safe and secure place and must be available for inspection by authorized officers of the department.
Is this what everyone is doing, or is there some other statement that indicates only the CHL-100 needs to be retained?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Instructor Record Retention

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The proficiency and "post test" scores are documented on the CHL-100 and that's the only record you should keep. That statement is directly from DPS Instructor renewal classes. As a side note, the old pre-test was discontinued many years ago, so the term "post test" is just the exam we give at the end of the classroom portion of the class.

My DPS auditor wanted to see CHL-100's and CHL-8 for each class, as well as a class outline, summary, etc. that was used in my classes. I printed a copy of my PowerPoint presentation as well as the class outline I give to each student. I was not asked to have the class roster although it was in the class folder for each class, nor was I asked about the online data students completed when registering for the class.

Chas.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”