School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire


o b juan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#16

Post by o b juan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:05 pm

What page number or statute # for the school safety I can find school marshals but not school safety

Found it I Thought it was near School Marshals.
A school called me and wanted to see what the Statute was
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

User avatar

mloamiller
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm
Location: Grand Prairie, TX

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#17

Post by mloamiller » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:39 am

Is signing up for this class handled the same as the LTC Instructor class - submit your application with fee, wait for an email with a class date, then take it or wait for the next available date? Does anyone have any recent experience with how long of a wait this could be?

I believe the LTC Instructor class was a day and-a-half; what about the SSCI class?

Just trying to get more information about what I would be signing up for.
LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
IDPA SO

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 15
Posts: 1166
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#18

Post by Scott B. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Same process. Be prepared to wait. From what I was told, a large number of LEOs signed up for the course.

I'm at 10 months, if my memory is correct, and waiting.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

User avatar

mloamiller
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm
Location: Grand Prairie, TX

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#19

Post by mloamiller » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:34 pm

Scott B. wrote:Same process. Be prepared to wait. From what I was told, a large number of LEOs signed up for the course.

I'm at 10 months, if my memory is correct, and waiting.
Just finished signing up and was told I'm 140 on the list with 5 more classes "tentatively" scheduled for 2018, max of 12 per class.

So 6 classes a year, 12 students per class = 72 students per year, and I'm #140. So maybe I get in around December of 2019?
LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
IDPA SO

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 15
Posts: 1166
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#20

Post by Scott B. » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:39 pm

mloamiller wrote:
Scott B. wrote:Same process. Be prepared to wait. From what I was told, a large number of LEOs signed up for the course.

I'm at 10 months, if my memory is correct, and waiting.
Just finished signing up and was told I'm 140 on the list with 5 more classes "tentatively" scheduled for 2018, max of 12 per class.

So 6 classes a year, 12 students per class = 72 students per year, and I'm #140. So maybe I get in around December of 2019?
Valuable info.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

User avatar

Topic author
troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 1125
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#21

Post by troglodyte » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 pm

I’m not sure about y’all’s area but several of us out in the Lubbock area haven’t seen a lot of clamoring for SSC classes. There are three of us out this way and we all have a different professional segments to draw customers from but we haven’t seen a lot of interest. One of us has had two classes, one has had one, and the third has his first scheduled for this summer.

We do have a fair number of schools around that allow carry so it’s not for a lack of potential customers.

Hopefully it’s better in other areas but with just a few instructors we seem to have reached saturation. Hopefully it will pick up. At least I was able to pay off my instructor’s class expenses.
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor
School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.

User avatar

BCGlocker
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:11 pm
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#22

Post by BCGlocker » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:44 pm

I have been on the waiting list for the class since March 2017. I just called DPS and they said there is no update on my class. isn't one year wait excessive?
NRA Life Member
IDPA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

User avatar

mloamiller
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm
Location: Grand Prairie, TX

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#23

Post by mloamiller » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:01 pm

BCGlocker wrote:I have been on the waiting list for the class since March 2017. I just called DPS and they said there is no update on my class. isn't one year wait excessive?
I signed up this January and was told I'm 140 on the list with 5 more classes "tentatively" scheduled for 2018, max of 12 per class.
Assuming 6 classes a year, 12 students per class = 72 students per year, and I'm #140. So maybe I get in around December of 2019, which would be almost two years.
LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
IDPA SO


Swift
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#24

Post by Swift » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:47 pm

How did you find out what number you are on the list?

It would have been nice if the Governor's round table had decided to add more training classes....

User avatar

mloamiller
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm
Location: Grand Prairie, TX

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#25

Post by mloamiller » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Swift wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:47 pm
How did you find out what number you are on the list?
I called them. There was a problem with documents from several of my past classes not uploading correctly, so they didn't have an official record that I met the four-class requirement. I called them to get that straightened out and they told me where I was on the waiting list.
LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
IDPA SO


Swift
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#26

Post by Swift » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Thanks, I might give them a call. So I can plan on what months in 2020 to keep waiting lol. "rlol"

User avatar

Soldev
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 8:26 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#27

Post by Soldev » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 am

I recently completed the most recent Initial TX DPS LTC Instructor course from May 30'th to June 1'st.
They briefly discussed the School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class and only mentioned the following:
1. To qualify you must teach 4 complete LTC courses (classroom and range)
2. There is a 2 year waiting list
3. Many of the DPS instructors were being laid off on June 1st (our range qualification day) and being forced into retirement,
so the wait periods would likely increase due to the reduction of staffing of DPS trainers.
Texas License To Carry Instructor
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor & NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4589
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#28

Post by Jusme » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:12 am

Soldev wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 am
I recently completed the most recent Initial TX DPS LTC Instructor course from May 30'th to June 1'st.
They briefly discussed the School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class and only mentioned the following:
1. To qualify you must teach 4 complete LTC courses (classroom and range)
2. There is a 2 year waiting list
3. Many of the DPS instructors were being laid off on June 1st (our range qualification day) and being forced into retirement,
so the wait periods would likely increase due to the reduction of staffing of DPS trainers.


I'm not an instructor, and have not researched, the requirements, to become one, but it sounds to me like the demand, to become an instructor, and the requisite, recertification, far outweighs, the supply.
Why can't the training, be done in the private sector? I'm sure to get that done would require Legislative action, but if the DPS is actually reducing the number, of instructors, at a time when the demand, for not only LTC instructors, but LTC students, is increasing exponentially, that this is creating, an unnecessary, bottleneck, and may make it much more difficult for people to acquire their LTC.
If the private sector, could train instructors, it could free up the DPS, to only act as administrators, and auditors, while expanding, the instructor pool.
This is just a thought, as an uninitiated, outside observer, so if my suggestion, is out of line, please ignore it.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 24113
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#29

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:35 am

Jusme wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:12 am
Soldev wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 am
I recently completed the most recent Initial TX DPS LTC Instructor course from May 30'th to June 1'st.
They briefly discussed the School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class and only mentioned the following:
1. To qualify you must teach 4 complete LTC courses (classroom and range)
2. There is a 2 year waiting list
3. Many of the DPS instructors were being laid off on June 1st (our range qualification day) and being forced into retirement,
so the wait periods would likely increase due to the reduction of staffing of DPS trainers.
I'm not an instructor, and have not researched, the requirements, to become one, but it sounds to me like the demand, to become an instructor, and the requisite, recertification, far outweighs, the supply.
Why can't the training, be done in the private sector? I'm sure to get that done would require Legislative action, but if the DPS is actually reducing the number, of instructors, at a time when the demand, for not only LTC instructors, but LTC students, is increasing exponentially, that this is creating, an unnecessary, bottleneck, and may make it much more difficult for people to acquire their LTC.
If the private sector, could train instructors, it could free up the DPS, to only act as administrators, and auditors, while expanding, the instructor pool.
This is just a thought, as an uninitiated, outside observer, so if my suggestion, is out of line, please ignore it.
It would be great if Charles Cotton could weigh in on this. Maybe this could be a legislative change that could get done this time around.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


skeathley
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 am
Location: McKinney, TX
Contact:

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

#30

Post by skeathley » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:42 am

2 year waiting list!

As discouraged as those people may be, wait until they finally finish and find out there is almost no market for it.
I do have 5 classes scheduled this summer, for 2 districts, but the majority of schools either are too PC to even consider this (most of them), or will only deal with police depts (a few).

However, in the last 6 months, the number of districts allowing staff carry has increased from 70 to about 170, so maybe sanity will win out after all.

:cheers2:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Post Reply

Return to “Instructors' Corner”