School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 3

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

Post by AJSully421 »

For those of you in upcoming School Safety Instructor classes, when did you apply? I saw somewhere that 12-18 months was not unheard of... yikes!
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 8

Post by BCGlocker »

I just came back from the Oct. 29-30 class. Most people registered for the class around March 2017. The class has lots of great information!

The director of training told us that they are running 16-20 months wait. Also, there is little demand for the class from school staff (future students) due to nearly all major school districts have not approved the SSO (School Safety Officer) program, thus there is little demand for the instructors to teach the class.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Scott B. »

How long is it taking to get the certificate once you've done the class? I'm closing in on 3 weeks. Yep, I'm that impatient.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 8

Post by BCGlocker »

I attended the class on Oct. 29th and received the certificate in the mail today (11/14). Two weeks turn around.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Called RSD. Mine was mailed on the 8th. I'm to give it another 14 days. <shrug>

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Only took 9 days from Austin to Houston and arrived a little crumpled, but all is well.

Anybody hear anything about what hoops we'll have to jump through for renewal in the later portion of 2019? I hoping a separate trip to the Austin area isn't required if we also have to go up this time for LTC Instructor renewal.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Scott B. wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:03 pm Anybody hear anything about what hoops we'll have to jump through for renewal in the later portion of 2019?
And the answer, I'm told, is apparently nothing. That particular topic didn't come up during my two days up there. Figured there'd be the occasional program update to review.

mloamiller
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mloamiller »

mloamiller wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:01 pm
BCGlocker wrote:I have been on the waiting list for the class since March 2017. I just called DPS and they said there is no update on my class. isn't one year wait excessive?
I signed up this January and was told I'm 140 on the list with 5 more classes "tentatively" scheduled for 2018, max of 12 per class.
Assuming 6 classes a year, 12 students per class = 72 students per year, and I'm #140. So maybe I get in around December of 2019, which would be almost two years.
Just received an invitation to the Jan 10-11, 2019 class, so they are about 11 months ahead of where I expected them to be. Overall, it would be a year since I signed up.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

For those of you who have attended class in the past few months (October 2018 - January 2019), are your class sizes like 12-15 students or more like 40 or so?

I heard from the Trooper Trainers that they were talking about creating larger class sizes and I want to see if that is happening. Thanks.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

October (the one I was in) and the early November (one friends were in) were still the small class size.

And, FWIW, we actually had 2 no-shows for our class. Wait all that time, confirm, and not make it? Ouch.

Bet those larger class exercises will be fun.

DallasCarry
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DallasCarry »

I currently teach LTC classes as an independent instructor at a rate of about 1 per month, trying to expand to 2. I teach as a side-job (totally unrelated to my main profession) because I believe in it and it's a somewhat fun way to earn a little extra money. I do not plan on making money teaching the school safety courses; depending on how it all works out, I'd be happy to simply make this a form of volunteering for me. That said, I have a few reservations about going out for this additional training...

*I don't have my own range, I use public ranges for that by reserving time/space. I'm sure I could arrange to rent space to teach school safety courses, but I don't really know what the curriculum is for the course. So, I'm not sure what type of facility I should arrange for and if it will be cost prohibitive.

*I have no idea what the demand is for this type of course. I'd hate to get set up for this only to hit a brick wall repeatedly, and never end up teaching a class. I've already seen my LTC attendance numbers drop by about 50% and stay that way for quite some time (I suspect due to the option of online courses).

*As I understand, the waiting list is quite long. I'm wondering if they'll change laws before I even get to attend...

Honestly, what would push me over the edge is knowing if the instructor cert class is fun and/or a good skill builder. I would be happy to attend on that basis alone and I'll chalk it up to more training at the very least.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

I just got signed up for a class in late May. I applied in early February. It seems as though they are clearing out the backlog.
Last edited by AJSully421 on Thu May 16, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mloamiller
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mloamiller »

I'm heading to the instructor's class this week and was wondering about places to eat lunch. When I was there for my LTC instructor's course many years ago, there wasn't any place close enough to the DPS facility to go and grab lunch during the day. Is that still case?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

It's been a couple of years for me, but they gave us an hour. There are a couple of places in either direction around 15 to 20 out. Not very relaxing, but it can be done.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

You'll get plenty of time for lunch. I popped over to Florence the first day, ate a nice lunch at D Boones and was back with plenty of time to spare. That's a really popular place with DPS so expect a crowd, but they're fast.

Second day a student brought in enough breakfast tacos to feed an army, so I had leftovers for lunch in the classroom.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”