Target size to distance formula?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Neverpanic1
Posts in topic: 1

Target size to distance formula?

Post by Neverpanic1 »

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but is there a formula to simulate a smaller target as to what the distance would be of an average sized body ? Not sure if I made my question clear, so I'll try another way....a 12" metal silhouette would resemble a person a what distance ?
Texas LTC Instructor/ NRA Certified Instructor

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Target size to distance formula?

Post by C-dub »

I'll poke around and see if I can find it, but I remember the youth rifle team at our club using a particular target to do just that. They would shoot and the regulation target at 200 yards and then a smaller one to simulate a longer distance. Mind you, though, all it will do is simulate what the target will look like at that greater distance. It won't help any with holdover or anything else.
Last edited by C-dub on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I think it wold be 12"/ distance to the 12" target X distance to new target = height of desired target.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Okay, whatever your target size is would be reduced by a fraction of the two distances involved. For example, if you wanted to simulate shooting at a 12" diameter target at 200 yards at only 50 yards it would be like the following.

50/200 = 1/4

Therefore, you could use a 3" diameter target at 50 yards to simulate what you would see at 200 yards with a 12" diameter target. Then shooting at that 3" diameter target at 200 yards would be like what you would see that 12" target at 800 yards.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Assume shoulder to shoulder is 18" and your target is 12" so 12/18 is 2/3 original distance. If you want to simulate shooting at 300 yards you can place your 12" target at 200 yards and shoot. It is still a 6MOA big target.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”