A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Old Records Destroyed In Hurricane Harvey Flood

Post by RossA »

Like a lot of folks, we flooded in Harvey. All of my old records (only kept paper copies, but meticulously) were soaked for a couple of days. As we were cleaning up and throwing away ruined things, I found my records which by now were pretty useless. I plan on keeping them as they are, even though you really can't read them.
I guess if I am audited I will just show everything to the auditor and explain the flood. I have good copies of everything I have started doing again recently.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

rotor

Re: Old Records Destroyed In Hurricane Harvey Flood

Post by rotor »

I am really sorry to hear about your loss. Many years ago I started scanning everything using Paperport and a high speed scanner. I made backups on an external drive as well as on the second hard drive in my computer. Main drive was :c, second drive was :d. I felt secure about second drive as if first drive went I had backup on second drive. Then one day computer fried and both hard drives were gone but I did have a third usb drive so I wasn't completely gone. I now backup important files to :d drive and to two extra usb drives and even more important to the cloud using Carbonite which works very well. As I am obsessive compulsive about backup I have been in good shape. Easeus is also used to make image copies of my drives. Everything paper that is important to me is in the cloud now as well as locally on my drives. For passwords to websites I use Roboform.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

as long as they weren't any good bands it isnt a real loss right? :mrgreen: that suck tho... some records are worth a lot these days.
NRA Member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

RossA wrote:Like a lot of folks, we flooded in Harvey. All of my old records (only kept paper copies, but meticulously) were soaked for a couple of days. As we were cleaning up and throwing away ruined things, I found my records which by now were pretty useless. I plan on keeping them as they are, even though you really can't read them.
I guess if I am audited I will just show everything to the auditor and explain the flood. I have good copies of everything I have started doing again recently.
I save copies of the 100's, ( as required), all paper. The 8's I have on paper and computer, since I have to send them to DPS anyways. Maybe I should at least backup the 8's on a dedicated flash drive.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”