A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Time period for LTC 100

Post by RossA »

I got a call from a neighbor. She took a class last April (a year ago now) and passed the written test, but never took the range proficiency test. She wants to shoot the range portion and get her license. Don't usually get this kind of question, and can't remember how long the LTC 100 is good for without having to take the class again.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Time period for LTC 100

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

RossA wrote:I got a call from a neighbor. She took a class last April (a year ago now) and passed the written test, but never took the range proficiency test. She wants to shoot the range portion and get her license. Don't usually get this kind of question, and can't remember how long the LTC 100 is good for without having to take the class again.
It's good for two years. Back when we had renewal classes, those CL-100s were only good for six months.

Chas.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Thanks. She will be glad to know that she doesn't have to take another class.

switch
Posts in topic: 4

Post by switch »

In January of this year, DPS dropped it from 2 years to 1 year. Since the original class was conducted prior to this change, In my opinion, it would still be good.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Darn, I hope that she is grandfathered under the old 2 year rule. Now that it's May, she is past the one year period. I would hate to think I gave her bad information and she now has to take the class over again because she didn't get everything done quickly before the end of April.

switch

Post by switch »

My understanding is classes taught after the effective date (1/18/18??) are subject to the 1 year cutoff. Classes taught prior to that date still enjoy a 2 year validity.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

That's good to hear. Thanks

Rafe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rafe »

I don't know enough to comment, but it might be worth calling Austin to double-check before giving her any info. This part of the Administrative Code (rule 6.14 Title 37) looks pretty straightforward in item (f) when it says "Any certificate of training that is required in conjunction with an application must be valid on the date the completed application is submitted to the department." And yeah the 1 year time looks like it went into effect January 11. I don't see anything in the code about grandfathering previous test takers but that may be something DPS sent out to instructors but isn't in the code.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

switch wrote:My understanding is classes taught after the effective date (1/18/18??) are subject to the 1 year cutoff. Classes taught prior to that date still enjoy a 2 year validity.
That's my understanding also. I should have been more clear. Thanks.

Chas.

switch

Post by switch »

Actually, RossA, I assumed the 1 year statute had lapsed. You posted this on 4/25 and reported she took the class last April. That would only give her possibly a few days to find an instructor and show proficiency and get it all submitted.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

switch wrote:Actually, RossA, I assumed the 1 year statute had lapsed. You posted this on 4/25 and reported she took the class last April. That would only give her possibly a few days to find an instructor and show proficiency and get it all submitted.
Unless I'm missing something, she took the classroom portion of the course in April of 2017. If DPS is "grandfathering" all CHL-100s issued prior to 1/1/2018, then hers is good until April of 2019. She can take the range portion of the class now, or anytime prior to April 2019, and submit both CHL-100s.

Chas.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

That's what I was hoping to hear.

switch

Post by switch »

Actually, (as posted on the OCT facebook site), DPS has rescinded that change. the LTC100 is still good for 2 years.
I had not heard that/seen it reported anywhere else so I called DPS and they confirmed. The LTC100 is good for 2 years.

BBW
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BBW »

switch wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:03 pm Actually, (as posted on the OCT facebook site), DPS has rescinded that change. the LTC100 is still good for 2 years.
I had not heard that/seen it reported anywhere else so I called DPS and they confirmed. The LTC100 is good for 2 years.
That question came up in my class two weeks ago. The people from RSD said it was good for two years.
Burleigh
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor, CRSO, USAA Coach level 1, BSA merit badge counselor, NRA & TSRA Life member.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”