Denial

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 2

Denial

Post by kg5ie »

Anyone ever recommended denial of a student? If so, what justification is required? Can there be repercussions on the instructor?
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Scott B.

Re: Denial

Post by Scott B. »

Tricky. If they passed the shooting test and the written, what in very general terms is the issue? It must concern you.

Safety?

Behavior?

Professed intention?

Deception?

A feeling you have?

It's never been an issue in any of my classes. My dad had one that we talked about. Student gets into some kind of disagreement w/ other student over a subject that had been raised in class. Goes to parking lot and vandalized other student's vehicle (kicked a door I think). Parking lot had very good video surveillance. :nono:

Edit: quizzed my dad on this one. He doesn't recall contacting RSD directly about that student, but happily gave the car owner the contact details of the offender for the police and insurance report. Guy must have napped through the conflict resolution portion of the class.
Last edited by Scott B. on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Just curious, from a non-instructor..... what kind of “denial” are you talking about? Refusal to sign off on the CHL-100, or making some kind of written recommendation to DPS? I’m just curious about the process.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

In my very first CHL class we had a guy who could speak only pidgin English.

I sincerely doubt he passed the written test, but was passed. Do I have proof? No, but he seemed to not understand what was being taught, proven by his barely understandable questions and looked extremely quizzical when answered.

His gun handling was a horror.

I won't go into details on this one.

I later learned our instructor lost his qualifications to teach shortly after my class.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Just curious, from a non-instructor..... what kind of “denial” are you talking about? Refusal to sign off on the CHL-100, or making some kind of written recommendation to DPS? I’m just curious about the process.
Instructors can contact RSD if they feel there are any potential issues with a student.
NRA lifetime member

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Just like any business, I would think instructors have the right to deny service for any reason, as long as it isn't one of the "protected classes" - race, religion, etc.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

mloamiller wrote:Just like any business, I would think instructors have the right to deny service for any reason, as long as it isn't one of the "protected classes" - race, religion, etc.
I think he is talking about after he has taught the class and the student passed the written and shooting portions. Not a denial of the student taking the class in the first place.

Topic author
kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
mloamiller wrote:Just like any business, I would think instructors have the right to deny service for any reason, as long as it isn't one of the "protected classes" - race, religion, etc.
I think he is talking about after he has taught the class and the student passed the written and shooting portions. Not a denial of the student taking the class in the first place.

Correct. Passed written and proficiency just fine. Yet I still feel uncomfortable knowing the student will be carrying. Call it a gut feeling.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I had a student one time that mentioned several times he was bipolar and had been in and out of treatment. I tried to delicately fish around as to if he mentioned such on his application. From what I gathered he never declared it. I gave him all his paperwork and promptly contacted RSD and told them I suspected he may not have disclosed everything on his application and left it to them. I never heard anything or expected that I would.

I've had a couple of students that I didn't feel comfortable knowing they could be carrying but they took the class, passed the tests, and didn't violate any safety rules so there's not much I can do other than give them their paperwork, encourage them to get more training, and wish them well.
Last edited by troglodyte on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Possibly another of those oh yeah moments but what does RSD stand for?
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Regulatory Services Division of the Department of Public Safety. They administer the LTC program, among other things.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

It is not up to me to decide if a person does, or does not, get an LTC. That is way above my pay grade.

My responsibility is to teach a good class, make sure my students grasp the majority of the content, and on some rare occasions, enlighten DPS that they might want to take an extra look at an application.

What they do from there is on them.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”