Need info on the shooting portion after taking online course.

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mommagamber
Posts in topic: 1

Need info on the shooting portion after taking online course.

Post by mommagamber »

Maybe I am just dumb but I am not an online instructor. I have just started having people that want to do that portion. I can't remember the rules of just doing the shooting portion. I have tried to find this info on the DPS website. Can someone direct me to where I can find this info. Thank you.
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

Lena

Re: Need info on the shooting portion after taking online course.

Post by Lena »

Stay Safe

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

As an instructor, if you qualify a student, you'll provide them with an LTC-101 instead of and LTC-100.

We are expected to provide the students with some range safety instruction prior to the qualification, so some instructors are pricing their 'qualification for online students' a bit higher than you might expect. If I have a course already going, and I'm already qualifying x number of people, bringing in x+1 for qualification only isn't that big a deal. However, if it's just that one person, it's not worth my time to go to the range for just $10-15, so I do price accordingly.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

mommagamber wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:17 pm Maybe I am just dumb but I am not an online instructor. I have just started having people that want to do that portion. I can't remember the rules of just doing the shooting portion. I have tried to find this info on the DPS website. Can someone direct me to where I can find this info. Thank you.
You're not dumb. When we had our last Instructor Recertification the RSD wasn't able to give us much detail since the whole 'online' thing had just been passed by the legislature, & they had little to no details to share.

Since the pandemic Stay at Home orders went into effect I've had a few students inquiring as well.

I ask the student to print 2x copies of their LTC-101 upon completion of the online portion. (Since I'm not an online provider, I cannot print a blank LTC-101 for the range portion).

I provide 2 hours of range training (Safety; Loading/Unloading/Clearing; Fundamentals of pistol marksmanship; Reloading; Malfunctions; Dry & Live fire), followed by the Proficiency Exam.

Upon completion, I fill out Sections B (1-2 hours range training) & C (Proficiency Exam) of both copies of the LTC-101 they brought, & have the student sign & date at the bottom of each. I keep one copy for my records, & submit an LTC-8 to the RSD for the Proficiency Exam.

I charge a minimum of three hours, at the same rate that I charge anyone else for three hours for a private lesson. If they'd like to stay longer & work from the holster (after the DPS portion is complete) then I just tack on the additional time at the hourly rate. (I focus almost exclusively on private lessons, so it's not much difference to me, other than not having to resource the classroom & provide the classroom instruction).

Return to “Instructors' Corner”