wearing Armor

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Neverpanic1
Posts in topic: 3

wearing Armor

Post by Neverpanic1 »

With the rush of many gun newbies to get their license, has anyone considered wearing armor again.
Texas LTC Instructor/ NRA Certified Instructor

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Re: wearing Armor

Post by Tex1961 »

Only when teaching....

I was at the range on Wednesday with a friend who has a fair amount of experience and LTC.. I was still cringing from the next bay over when he had a misfire... That tendency to look at the muzzle when trying to clear was very apparent.. I had to gently tell him to make sure and keep it downrange... He was like OH.. yea... Right.. Sorry.... I was like.. yep.. Only takes 1 time....

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Neverpanic1 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:25 pm With the rush of many gun newbies to get their license, has anyone considered wearing armor again.
Is there a rush of newbies to get LTC's? Is the threat of them shooting you accidentally in public statistically significant compared to say...getting shot by a criminal intent on shooting you? I've occasionally thought of wearing body armor, it would be a lot more effective at protecting you than say a dirty cotton muzzle or bandanna worn as a mask. In other words, not very (effective at protecting you). :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

LDP wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:42 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:34 pm Is there a rush of newbies to get LTC's?
Yup. Cuz .. you know ... 'rona. *shrug*
ScottDLS wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:34 pmIs the threat of them shooting you accidentally in public statistically significant compared to say...getting shot by a criminal intent on shooting you?
Whether it is significant or not on an absolute scale, it is definitely MUCH more significant now with morons getting LTC with just an online questionnaire that my 6-y/o can pass. Those LTC instructors here know what I'm talking about.
So the purpose of the LTC class is to teach gun safety? That must be a new curriculum. Interesting that we haven't had more accidental rifle shootings in the 184 years permitless rifle carry has been legal in Texas. I presume you're not a fan of permitless handgun carry...as in say, Oklahoma?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Neverpanic1

Post by Neverpanic1 »

This webpage used to be a fun informative site, but it's turned into keyboard commandos, many of them being "senior members". One can't read a thread anymore without seeing sarcastic arrogance.

Nickgibson72
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Nickgibson72 »

Neverpanic1 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:51 am This webpage used to be a fun informative site, but it's turned into keyboard commandos, many of them being "senior members". One can't read a thread anymore without seeing sarcastic arrogance.
100% agree. I honestly don't like commenting or engaging in topics anymore, because you know someone is just going to be an asshat

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Neverpanic1 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:25 pm With the rush of many gun newbies to get their license, has anyone considered wearing armor again.
No need for armor against this risk.

Most won't go through the learning curve and the inconvenience of carrying on a daily basis.

They'll lock away their guns and two boxes of ammo in a safe place to only be taken out in the event of violent social chaos.

The few who will carry on a daily basis will learn to do it safely just like everyone else.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

No need for armor against this risk. They haven't made a considered decision to carry always, just like most other LTC holders.

The majority won't go through the learning curve and the inconvenience of carrying on a daily basis, even though they've gone through the process to get an LTC.

They'll lock away their guns and two boxes of ammo in a safe place to only be taken out in the event of violent social chaos.

The few who will carry on a daily basis will learn to do it safely just like everyone else.

Those who try wearing armor on a daily basis will quickly come to understand why LEO's don't do it off duty either.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I am much less afraid of a newbie LTC holder shooting me, than I am of a criminal intent on harming me or mine. However, I don’t wear armor, due to that fear.
No matter their level of training/proficiency, LTC holders have still been fully vetted. There have been several times in the past, when the numbers of LTC holders, took a significant upswing, with no increase in them using their guns irresponsibly.

While I am a proponent of receiving as much firearms training as possible, I will never be a proponent of making it mandatory. There are always going to be those who, going to obtain more training than others, but denigrating those who may not be as well trained, or insinuating, that they should not be allowed to exercise, their 2A rights, smacks of elitism. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I've only been what I would consider "afraid" of being shot 3 times in my 58 years.

Once by my 70 year old aunt waving her .25 auto around showing everyone she is armed... and by LTC holder at the range...Who had a ND because he failed to check the gun was chambered (he was 1 foot away from me with the muzzle pointed at the ground). I've had several "other" incidences with strangers next to me at indoor ranges... Newbies who had no idea how to even load their firearm let alone control it...

My aunt has passed and I won't go to the range with the LTC Friend ever again.

Only other time that I was ever afraid of a bad guy was when I broke down in Downtown Dallas at midnight and had a homeless guy come over 3 different times wanting money... Unfortunately I wasn't licensed back then.. I pulled a box cutter out of my trunk and had it ready if he came back, which fortunately for me he didn't a 4th time.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

We must each decide for ourselves which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us. As has been said, we have seen spikes in gun purchases before without a corresponding rise in violent crime. I thing my current preparedness level is adequate for the situation and that my money is better spent on training and ammo.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Nickgibson72 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:37 am
Neverpanic1 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:51 am This webpage used to be a fun informative site, but it's turned into keyboard commandos, many of them being "senior members". One can't read a thread anymore without seeing sarcastic arrogance.
100% agree. I honestly don't like commenting or engaging in topics anymore, because you know someone is just going to be an asshat
“Sarcastic arrogance” may just be the way that someone else is expressing their opinion on the matter, and that opinion is just as valid as you want yours to be. Both of you called other members names directly while complaining about others.

As far as wearing body armor, it’s your body and life. I wouldn’t predicate the decision on whether I should wear body armor based on someone else’s opinion. Each person has their own specific circumstances and needs. You have already expressed that for you the answer is yes, so just slap it on and carry on. :thumbs2:

Topic author
Neverpanic1

Post by Neverpanic1 »

Just to clarify on original post....i was meaning during the shooting practical. Having several in my firing line, it's kinda hard keeping an eye on everyone. I've increased the number of relays, but I'm still seeing many first time shooters. I understand the LTC class is not a basic firearm class, but who's to say gun newbies can't sign up. My basic class is one-on-one, so no issue there.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”