Another Kangaroo Discussion

Holsters and firearms-related gear and accessories, reloading equipment & supplies, ammo

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Another Kangaroo Discussion

Post by chasfm11 »

I searched through the most recent discussions about the Kangaroo holster and didn't find what I was looking for. I decided to start a new thread

My EDC is a Sig P250 Compact. My daily holster for it is an IWB Minotaur. I carry it chambered. But for the last 8 years, I've used the Kangaroo holster for more formal settings, where I needed at least a dress shirt. Before OC, I was worried even when I had a sport or suit jacket on that I might, at some point, have to remove it and used the Kangaroo even then. One of the things that I really like about it is that it is really good at concealment. I've stood in front of a church congregation in a dress shirt to play musical instruments and never had a single comment.

But I have been "outed" with my Kangaroo on. It was at a funeral with a lot of hugging going on and someone detected my spare mag. I'm very diligent about not allowing similar hugging on the Sig side. But that sort of leads me to the question.

I recommended the Kangaroo to a friend who ended up buying one one. He also has Sigs and has expressed reservations about carrying chambered in the Kangaroo because it is soft sided. It is a valid concern. When I first got the Kangaroo, I practiced with it with my gun unloaded. Unlike even my IWB, the muzzle of the gun does point out the outside of my hip and that happens especially if I bend toward that side. I poked and prodded at my Sig inside that Kangaroo and satisfied myself that it would be really, really difficult (but I never say never) to get through the muslin in the holster in a way to activate the trigger. I replaced my first Kangaroo because, after a number of years, the muslin lost a lot of its stiffness. The new one is even more stiff than the old one was new (as far as I can remember) and therefore more difficult to get into the trigger guard with something outside.

All this said, I also have a Glock 30SF which I sometimes carry. It has a really light trigger and I won't carry it in anything but an OWB with a good offset. I decided that I probably wouldn't ever carry that gun in the Kangaroo because of the light trigger. The muzzle of the Glock pointing at my hip under some circumstances was just more risk than I'm willing to take. I'm certain that part of that is based on the very long trigger on the DAO Sig.

I'm interested in comments so fire away. Obviously, I'm trying to convince my friend that the Kangaroo is safe to use chambered. I didn't want to miss the chance to re-evalute that expectation.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

oljames3

Re: Another Kangaroo Discussion

Post by oljames3 »

Holsters are like shoes. Folks who wear the same size may not want to wear the same brand, make, and size of shoe.

I want my holster to prevent unintended access to the trigger. I use Safariland 7TS ALS.

My family members use Kydex (or other rigid synthetic) holsters from Bravo Concealment, Comp-Tac, and Safariland.

In this video, John Corriea (Active Self Protection) states his three qualities for a decent holster. Works for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox7GrdjqRXk

Kathy Jackson on the qualities of a decent holster: https://get-asp.com/mjau

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

philip964

Re: Another Kangaroo Discussion

Post by philip964 »

At the police officer supply store on Washington in Houston, they had a giant box of Kangaroo holsters for $10. I bought one cause it was $10.

Haven’t tried it yet.

I’ll let you know.

Return to “Holsters, Accessories, Reloading Equipment & Supplies”