Interesting observation of who's online

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 6

Interesting observation of who's online

Post by puma guy »

I just checked and there are 5 registered users on line and 186 "guests".. Apparently the post is very much alive, though someone said it may be dying. I noticed a couple of threads in the top 10 have a lot of views. One with over a quarter million and one with almost 800,000, Someone is checking us out! :shock:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Interesting observation of who's online

Post by Tex1961 »

Yeah, I brought this up several months ago. A lot of responses (mine included) were that it’s more political posts than gun or self defense posts. I spend more time on another gun forum nowadays because the majority are firearm and SD related.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

This is still the go to Forum if you want to know exactly what the law is. Plus we have the Man himself. Charles Cotton!

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:52 pm This is still the go to Forum if you want to know exactly what the law is. Plus we have the Man himself. Charles Cotton!
:iagree: :thumbs2:
I was not implying that the forum is dying, rather that it has many viewers, many of whom are not registered. Probably every forum has non-members who visit for myriad purposes, but aren't joiners.
Last edited by puma guy on Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I know this has been discussed before but I think that the "ammo shortage" really put a cramp on forum members shooting. Plus the heat this summer, at least for me, cut down on my shooting, as well. Less shooting equals less posts on the topic. However, folks do like to stay engaged with those they're used to conversing with, so other stuff gets posted.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:35 am I know this has been discussed before but I think that the "ammo shortage" really put a cramp on forum members shooting. Plus the heat this summer, at least for me, cut down on my shooting, as well. Less shooting equals less posts on the topic. However, folks do like to stay engaged with those they're used to conversing with, so other stuff gets posted.
Heat and flooding have certainly slowed me down. I ended up shooting indoors this weekend, which was a pale imitation of the shooting I usually get to do.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:35 am I know this has been discussed before but I think that the "ammo shortage" really put a cramp on forum members shooting. Plus the heat this summer, at least for me, cut down on my shooting, as well. Less shooting equals less posts on the topic. However, folks do like to stay engaged with those they're used to conversing with, so other stuff gets posted.
All the above, plus let's not forget the effect Covid has had on activities.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

puma guy wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:01 pm
carlson1 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:52 pm This is still the go to Forum if you want to know exactly what the law is. Plus we have the Man himself. Charles Cotton!
:iagree: :thumbs2:
I was not implying that the forum is dying, rather that it has many viewers, many of whom are not registered. Probably every forum has non-members who visit for myriad purposes, but aren't joiners.
i don't always "log in" when reading, so even though registered for years, i'd be a "guest" unless i'm posting like now
i read more than i post, i listen more than i talk ... just habit due to the last girlfriend never let me talk ...
but i like to keep up, so i read the forum daily

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

NotRPB wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:56 pm …, i listen more than i talk ...
As a Preacher I am always talking, but I have been practicing this quality out of the pulpit the best I can. You can learn more by listening. Good quality to have I think.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:21 pm
NotRPB wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:56 pm …, i listen more than i talk ...
As a Preacher I am always talking, but I have been practicing this quality out of the pulpit the best I can. You can learn more by listening. Good quality to have I think.
:iagree: Listening is the most important trait in good communication.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RoyGBiv »

Only 7 threads (now 8 with this post) that had ANY posts in them since Friday morning.
3 full days, only 7 topics touched. Only 2 topics TX CHL related. :roll:

"Active Topics" results as of this post...

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Activity has definitely has slowed down.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

Only real reason I stop by is for either the Instructors corner or if someone has a LTC question. Other than that not a lot of good reasons to be here anymore. It's a shame really as this used to be a really great forum. Overall the members are respectful and adults, unlike some of the other forums I've seen.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:24 pm Yeah, I brought this up several months ago. A lot of responses (mine included) were that it’s more political posts than gun or self defense posts. I spend more time on another gun forum nowadays because the majority are firearm and SD related.
Yep.

A forum requires discussion.

This place has turned into a personal social media page filled with nothing but FW:FW:FW clickbait.
TANSTAAFL

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

74novaman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:21 am
Tex1961 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:24 pm Yeah, I brought this up several months ago. A lot of responses (mine included) were that it’s more political posts than gun or self defense posts. I spend more time on another gun forum nowadays because the majority are firearm and SD related.
Yep.

A forum requires discussion.

This place has turned into a personal social media page filled with nothing but FW:FW:FW clickbait.
:iagree:
Closing the "Off Topic" and "Crime Blotter" sections would, IMHO, go a long way towards restoring people's coming here to discuss Texas firearms stuff.

I understand that Mr. Cotton has serious issues he has to deal with at the NRA and this forum is probably at the bottom of his priority list. The mods could seek direction from him on bringing the forum back to its former place as "The focal point for Texas firearms information and discussions" instead of clickbait and stuff from the mainstream media that likely most of us don't go to those sites nor want to see it.

I for one never go to CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, Yahoo/Microsoft/Google News sources, hardly even go to Fox News anymore.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”