Should we have a FAQ section?

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dws1117 »

type silly non-informative comments in internet forums
Hey! that's my gig. See here's another one. :lol:

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

1-800-Lawyers!! I like that. I just need to find out how to steal the number and re-route the calls to my office! (No, I suspect I probably don't want those calls. :lol: )

I really forgot about this suggestion, but I need to do something with it. A few forum members were concerned about new folks getting redirected to a FAQ Section if they happened to ask a question that has been covered in the FAQ's and I share that concern to some degree. I see that a lot on other boards and it almost always comes across negatively, even if all the poster is doing is trying to tell the new person of a resource section.

I think I'm going to add a resource section and call it something like "Helpful Information," "CHL Resources," rather than FAQ. I've already asked Jim to create a flying Hints & Suggestions thread much like the excellent posts he has provided for us over the past several months. The Links Section we have has seen little use, probably because of the requirements for listing a link. Perhaps that entire section could become a single listing in the new Section. A list of phone numbers is a great idea.

Thanks for reminding me; I'll get back on this. See this Jim? I'll come calling sometime soon!

Thanks,
Chas.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I try not to direct someone immediately to a FAQ area in that forum...

I will mention it to that person to look at afterwards, to get any details that were not discussed in the original thread...

I try to be as personable and helpful as I can, at that time, and not sluff someone off to an FAQ area...

I think there is a basic need for interaction in chat forums that create a person bond and good vibe that keeps people coming back to participate and relate to others their observations and experiences that help everyone, regardless of their level of expertise...

But thats just me...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dws1117 »

I was one that as opposed to an FAQ section. Stevie hit it on the head. Too many times I've seen people ask a question only to shrugged off to that FAQ. I've even seen it go as far as a moderator telling the poster to go to the FAQ and then locking the thread. Discussion can be retarded. I believe we learn more through discussion even if the question has been asked and answered 25,000 times.

Charles, your latest proposal may be a more viable solution.

BTW, when you created this forum did you imagin it growing into what it has become or growing as rapidly?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

dws1117 wrote:BTW, when you created this forum did you imagin it growing into what it has become or growing as rapidly?
No, I sure didn't. I really thought it would become a home for refugees from tx.guns and perhaps add a few more folks.

I couldn't be more pleased with the way TexasCHLforum has grown. We have had virtually no problems (far fewer that the average Thanksgiving Dinner with the in-laws :lol: , just kidding) and I believe the growth we've enjoyed is due solely to the friendly and informative atmosphere you folks have created.

Regards,
Chas.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:We have had virtually no problems (far fewer that the average Thanksgiving Dinner with the in-laws :lol: , just kidding)
There are a few on tx.guns that I could invite over... I guarantee it would be more like Thanksgiving with the in-laws. :D

Cross-posting trolls aside, tx.guns used to be a great place. There are some sharp minds there who would be valuable in any discussion, if they just wouldn't make everything "personal".

Kevin

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stevie_d_64 »

KBCraig wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:We have had virtually no problems (far fewer that the average Thanksgiving Dinner with the in-laws :lol: , just kidding)
There are a few on tx.guns that I could invite over... I guarantee it would be more like Thanksgiving with the in-laws. :D

Cross-posting trolls aside, tx.guns used to be a great place. There are some sharp minds there who would be valuable in any discussion, if they just wouldn't make everything "personal".

Kevin
Glad I didn't know about that website...

I probably wouldn't have fit in at all... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

westernamerican

Post by westernamerican »

CHL FAQs for sure!

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Marshal »

My Vote is for a FAQ / Information Section.

Reasons For:
  • * Central repository of valuable information
    * Some people want 'the facts' and not a lengthy discussion
    * Decrease research time, and eliminate incorrect/outdated information
    * Chance to see a topic that you want info, but forgot to ask
    * Chance to see a topic that you want info, and are embarrassed to ask
    * Possible draw to increase traffic to site
Reasons Against:
  • * Subject to retarding discussion
    * Requires a separate forum for input/comments
    * Requires management and upkeep
Subject to retarding discussion - dws1117, this is a valid point, but really I have found that it makes no real impact on discussion. Those that read the FAQ info will usually discuss it to clarify their understanding. Those that Don't will ask anyway. :grin:
Your concern over people "kicking them to the FAQ" is the real issue. On a Forum that I moderate, this is not tolerated, from any individual, moderator or new person. That attitude is neither friendly nor helpful. The members here do not act like that. Those that do should get a friendly correction.
The proper response is to answer the person's question. Not give them grief over not finding the hidden document.

Requires a separate forum for input/comments - Again, this works good. It keeps the 47 "yeah, me too!" posts out of the important topics. A nice centralized "Feedback" forum area would suffice. It could have multiple uses as well.

Requires management and upkeep - The Big Dog. This can make the FAQ Useful or Useless. It must be maintained.

~Bill

westernamerican

Post by westernamerican »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
OverEasy wrote:1-800-Lawyers??
What the heck do we need that one for??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only for us Dummies! Others that are so smart probably don't! Guess that is one good reason for the Poll? :grin:

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”