Login "Remember me"

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

92f-fan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Login "Remember me"

Post by 92f-fan »

Yep adding https to the link I was using fixed it for me too

THANKS !!

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Check your bookmark for the forum. Make sure the bookmark is HTTPS, not just HTTP. That fixed it for me.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

THANK YOU! I've been dealing with this for a while and adding the HTTPS to my bookmark fixed my log in issue.

QB

Post by QB »

adding the "s" worked for me.....thanks
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

Yep, adding the "s" did the trick. Thanks, I had noticed the address bar kept saying "not secured", but it didn't dawn on me..........
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:56 pm Check your bookmark for the forum. Make sure the bookmark is HTTPS, not just HTTP. That fixed it for me.
Thank you

This finally cleared it up for me. I had given up - ha !
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Now it’s happening to me, and it has to do with my VPN (Nord). It used to be that if I was connected through an IP address outside of Texas, I couldn’t get in. As of this morning, it’s not even letting me in if I log in from a Dallas IP address (I live in DFW). If I turn my VPN off, then I can get in. I already don’t post here as often as I used to. Not sure I want to keep posting if I have to turn off my VPN just to do so.

Turning it back on now…bye…
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:13 am Now it’s happening to me, and it has to do with my VPN (Nord). It used to be that if I was connected through an IP address outside of Texas, I couldn’t get in. As of this morning, it’s not even letting me in if I log in from a Dallas IP address (I live in DFW). If I turn my VPN off, then I can get in. I already don’t post here as often as I used to. Not sure I want to keep posting if I have to turn off my VPN just to do so.

There are filters that forum admin MIGHT (I have no idea what is used here) be using that blocks out ranges of IP addresses, or possibly IP address ranges known to be sources of spam... If you're inclined, you might try using a VPN location in another state and see if you get a different result here.

We'd miss you if you go... but... with no new members being added since Charles stepped up to NRA Pres (???not sure if related??) the lack of new blood here (and the huge number of political threads :roll: ) is definitely bringing the liveliness of the forum down steadily..
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Rafe
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rafe »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:13 am Now it’s happening to me, and it has to do with my VPN (Nord). It used to be that if I was connected through an IP address outside of Texas, I couldn’t get in. As of this morning, it’s not even letting me in if I log in from a Dallas IP address (I live in DFW). If I turn my VPN off, then I can get in. I already don’t post here as often as I used to. Not sure I want to keep posting if I have to turn off my VPN just to do so.

I can't speak about what sort of filtering measures the forum may have in place, but something similar happened to me before, also using NordVPN, with a few websites that used the blacklists published by stopforumspam.com and another from spamrats.com. There are others.

But the unfortunate thing about those blacklists is that they may have been a viable internet security tactic a decade ago, but not now. They rely on crowdsourced, mostly manual reporting, and if reports are received for multiple IP addresses within a given CIDR range, they can blacklist a range. By some accounts, about one-third of all internet users--especially with suite providers like Norton and McAfee including VPN services in their offerings--now use VPNs to access the internet. The old block-IP-address model simply isn't practical any longer.

Like I said, I don't know if the forum authenticates any blacklists like that, but that might be at the root of the problem. And it can be difficult to diagnose because it's transitory. Entries on those blacklists roll on and roll off.

Something you might want to try--and this is specific to NordVPN, something they evidently don't like to reveal because I gather they don't have a really good handle on it--is to go into the settings and change the connection protocol.

With the NordVPN desktop application open, click the "gear" icon to go into settings; then go to "Connection"; the top option should be "VPN Protocol." By default it's going to be "Auto," which will attempt to use their proprietary NordLynx protocol. Try changing that to "OpenVPN (UDP)". Everything still functions the same way as far as connecting and disconnecting goes, but the backend routing (and protocol, of course) changes.

I discovered this by accident because I was getting absolutely terrible speeds through NordVPN. On my ISP service which gives me averages of 290 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up, I was getting 3 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up with the VPN active. No bueno. Changing the protocol setting netted me about 98 Mbps down and 14 Mbps up. Much more tolerable. And it seems to have--consistently for the past month, anyway--helped cure the blacklist issues I was having. I still wish .gov sites and sites like Wikipedia didn't screen out most VPN users, but it is what it is.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Thanks for the suggestions. RiyGBiv, I’ve tried it from other states. This site REALLY doesn’t like NY IP addresses. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

If I try to use any VPN listed in eastern european countries I get problems. I tried Canada and it works.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”