Spoofed IP Addresses and Private Proxy Servers

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Spoofed IP Addresses and Private Proxy Servers

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Disposable email addresses have long been prohibited on the Forum, though we are still seeing them in use. When we find them, the registration is being deactivated.

We are now seeing a rash of spoofed IP addresses and those too are prohibited. The Forum does not require Members to use their real names and each Member can decide whether or not to have their email visible to other Member via the Email button. Therefore, there's no legitimate reason to use bogus email addresses or IP addresses to maintain privacy.

Using spoofed IP addresses and so-called "private proxy servers" will result in deactivation of the registration. We've been doing this long enough to know that people violating this rule typically intend to violate Forum rules.

Chas.

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Spoofed IP Addresses and Private Proxy Servers

Post by RottenApple »

Might I suggest one possible legitimate use of such private proxy servers? Work places that filter "unacceptable" content.

If there are long-time members of the forum who are active (and not disruptive) and yet use these private proxies, would it not be ok to let their login remain?

AEA

Post by AEA »

I don't know what you mean by spoofed email addresses, or if I may fit into that one?

My forum email address is a "gmx.com" email that I use for EVERYTHING. Because my ISP email does not work reliably.

I would hate to think I need to change that to remain a Member here.

I guess if I get "Deactivated" I will just sell all my guns (at inflated prices), return my CHL to DPS and join the Democratic Party! :shock:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Charles,

I travel extensively overseas for business, and I use one of those services continually while I'm out of the country. By using Witopia, I'm able to be in any city in the world, and 'tunnel in', to surf the internet as if I were in Dallas, Miami, or any of a number of other US cities.

This greatly increases my security while I'm out of the country and allows me to visit sites like this one when I'm in a country that has a less-than-friendly approach to our American freedoms.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

A spoofed IP address is akin to a false street address. For example, you live at 216 First St., but the return address you put on your envelope is 612 Second St. If you didn't know what a spoofed IP address is, you're not using one.

Private proxy servers are servers that hide your IP address. Think of it like this. You send mail to a friend, but you send it to the private proxy server. The server then puts their return address on the envelope. So, no one looking at the envelope can tell where the mail was really sent from.

Both techniques are used to hide where you are actually located. For someone like Charles, they're trivial to spot, and as he says, often an indicator of bad things to come.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

You guys have brought up some legitimate issues. I'll visit with the Moderators and we'll decide what to do. Long-time Members don't have anything to worry about. Our rule about disposable email addresses will stay in force.

Thanks for the input.
Chas.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

is there some way that those, like Vol Texan, who need to use a proxy to access when they are out of the country, or with companies who filter, can somehow mark their profile? :headscratch

I'm brainstorming with a migraine, so if this doesn't make sense ignore it.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I just received word that my e-mail address I've used for some years is going away, the proprietors decision. Now I have a gmail address that I switched to just last week without problems.

Is that one of the problems?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

AEA wrote:I don't know what you mean by spoofed email addresses, or if I may fit into that one?

My forum email address is a "gmx.com" email that I use for EVERYTHING. Because my ISP email does not work reliably.

I would hate to think I need to change that to remain a Member here.

I guess if I get "Deactivated" I will just sell all my guns (at inflated prices), return my CHL to DPS and join the Democratic Party! :shock:
"rlol" :smilelol5:
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Just by virtue of my network router, my true IP address is hidden.

The only IP address displayed is that of Earthlink in League City, while I live some distance away.

Would this be prohibited?
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

JALLEN wrote:I just received word that my e-mail address I've used for some years is going away, the proprietors decision. Now I have a gmail address that I switched to just last week without problems.

Is that one of the problems?
Nope. You're good. You'll need to change your email address by going to the User Control Panel, then Profile, and Edit Account Settings. Change your email address of record there and, once you hit "Submit," you'll receive an email request to validate your account, just like you did when you first signed up. Click the link in the email, and you're done.

Many people use Gmail, Yahoo, Windows Live, and other third-party email providers. And, yes, so do spammers. But those are valid email service providers because the address created is intended by the provider to be permanent.

What the Forum prohibits is the use of disposable email addresses that are designed to be temporary: the registrant has no intention of using the address beyond a one-time registration process. There are scores of these providers identified--and updated constantly in forum/blog administrator communities--and those are the addresses we look for. Think of them as throwaway email addresses. The way they typically work is, without having to register for an account, you generate a new email address that is valid for, say, 60 minutes. You get a link to send/receive capability on the Web. After 60 minutes, the account is automatically deleted; it becomes a black hole, and someone could come in behind you days or years later and use the same temporary address again...for 60 minutes only.

It's those intentionally temporary, throwaway email accounts that we disallow.

Hope that clears up the disposable email issue. No one needs to run out and change his or her Gmail address. You're solid. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

katmandu

Post by katmandu »

One other thing to consider is a mobile connection - I use an AT&T mobile hotspot to connect ( though changing soon to a better connection thankfully ).

AT&T sometimes uses proxy servers for their mobile connections. I live in the Texoma area, but my IP at various times shows as being located in Dallas, Shreveport, or Orem, UT, depending on how they're routing me at the time. Sites sometimes turn me away due to detected proxy issues.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

If you have to ask if you are using IP spoofing, then you are not using it. Same with the disposable email addresses. We want members to use legitimate IP and email services so we have a method of validation and sending email to them. Use of a disposable address or spoofed IP indicates a member may be trying to hide their true identity and intentions to the moderators, and in turn be up no good on the forum.

As Charles said, long time members need not worry. However, all members need to make sure to use your regular email account that is frequently checked in youprofilele so we have a fasanddn reliable method of contact for you. :thumbs2:

Skiprr beat me to this

To answer the AT&T mobile, it is not a problem. These types of services and their showing different locaitons is understaood by us.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Keith B wrote:If you have to ask if you are using IP spoofing, then you are not using it. Same with the disposable email addresses.
Is gmail one of these? Another forum I participate in bans users with hotmail, yahoo and gmail accounts. I'm trying to figure a work around for that, too.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

JALLEN wrote:
Keith B wrote:If you have to ask if you are using IP spoofing, then you are not using it. Same with the disposable email addresses.
Is gmail one of these? Another forum I participate in bans users with hotmail, yahoo and gmail accounts. I'm trying to figure a work around for that, too.
Gmail is OK. Many people use this and Yahoo as their main email addresses. While anyone can set up a Gmail account and we even see spammer's using a faked Gmail account, it is a valid service and acceptible. :thumbs2:

Additionally, we are not loooking into those members who are regular contributors and not troublemakers. Just don't start if you change your email address. :mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”