Migration to VirtBiz Complete

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Migration to VirtBiz Complete

Post by Keith B »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I just got a text message from longhorn_92 saying he couldn't access the site on his phone. I'm going to have to tell him to put the phone down and pay attention to traffic. :lol:
DNS servers for the mobile carriers have not updated yet. They can still go to the IP 208.77.216.52 until their DNS is updated (usually around midnight).
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

Mine on Verizon Wireless is working. Both my laptop and phone seem faster also.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Right2Carry »

My phone is working as well.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

May just be some carriers that haven't updated yet. My iPhone worked fine but had to clear the cache for Safari.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baldeagle »

The Annoyed Man wrote:ChrisFromDallas, thanks for the answer. I lease my current server from MediaTemple, and it comes with the Parallels Plesk Panel 11.0 interface pre-installed. I've had cPanel experience, but no BlueOnyx experience; but between Plesk and cPanel, I MUCH prefer Plesk.
What are you guys talking about? I use ssh and vi. :biggrinjester:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

ChrisFromDallas
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ChrisFromDallas »

The Annoyed Man wrote:ChrisFromDallas, thanks for the answer. I lease my current server from MediaTemple, and it comes with the Parallels Plesk Panel 11.0 interface pre-installed. I've had cPanel experience, but no BlueOnyx experience; but between Plesk and cPanel, I MUCH prefer Plesk.
<snark> Media Temple is a good company. Their former customers tell me so. Let me know when you're ready to save some $$ on that Plesk box. ;-) </snark>
I agree that Plesk is a more attractive interface. My only reservation is that Parallels seems to treat production releases like betas. The latest update will invariably break something that worked just fine before. Then they want $75 for a support incident to fix it, or you wait until the next release. Maybe that's the Russians poking their fingers at us. (Trivia tidbit: Parallels, formerly SW-Soft, formerly Plesk, is Russian. The word 'Plesk' is Russian for 'Splash'.)

cPanel is certainly not my personal favorite interface. I don't find it intuitive. But it is by far the most popular, and one cannot argue with it's featureset, reliability and support base. And ultimately, it comes to a personal choice of what you like best. Other than that, it's a Ford vs Chevy argument, if you catch my meaning.

BlueOnyx is the open-sourced descendent of the old Sun Cobalt systems that runs on commodity hardware. It "just works", and it's completely free. And there are some big things in the works for the interface. When that happens, I think a lot of folks are going to question paying a monthly license fee for a control panel (as is the case with cPanel & Plesk).
baldeagle wrote:What are you guys talking about? I use ssh and vi. :biggrinjester:
Old school! Love it!

But back to the topic at hand...
Keith B wrote:May just be some carriers that haven't updated yet.
Keith is correct. DNS is a distributed technology, and although we (or anyone in control of DNS) can set a suggested expire time on the zones, it's ultimately up to the ISP, or if you're on a corporate network, the network admin who controls your DNS cacheing server. It's been my experience that wireless carriers tend to set their cache a bit longer in an effort to save a bit of traffic on their network. In most cases, propagation will take up to a couple hours, but there are a lot of cases where you'll see it take up to 24 hours for the cache to shake out.

In addition, the registrars can sometimes play a roll here. This is especially true when, as is the case with texaschlforum.com, the authoritative nameservers are changing. Some registrars are better than others. The company that grossed us all out last Sunday is notorious in this regard. (Well, several regards, but that one's on topic).

So hang in there, gang. If you have buddies that are still left with the old DNS cache, encourage their patience. At least it's Friday so we all have fantastic social lives and no time for the computer, right? :lol:: (Yeah, me neither...) Based on what I could tell with the migration, the results should be worth it in terms of performance.
http://www.virtbiz.com
Server Colocation | Dedicated Server | Webhosting | Development

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

baldeagle wrote:
What are you guys talking about? I use ssh and vi. :biggrinjester:
Well I use SSH too sometimes, like if I want to correct a simple permissions issue, but unless you REALLY know what you're doing (and I'm a total n00b) SSH can totally break things. I much prefer using a GUI to navigate by.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

I am actually thinking of moving my hosted outlook exchange and website from that company that has bad taste in their advertising choices. I'm sure they'll never notice.

However, I am excited about the apparent performance improvements we seem to be enjoying here.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jsenner

Post by jsenner »

ChrisFromDallas wrote:Hi there. I'm Chris from the hosting company. Welcome, texaschlforum.com! Glad to have you on the network.
Hi Chris, and thanks!!

Can we super-pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top enable https access to the forum? it's my only means out of my network during the day...

let me know where to send the beer coupons!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Keith B wrote:
lrpettit wrote:Could be my imagination but it seems faster!
Well, we must have the same imagination then, because I was thinking the same thing. :thumbs2:
It is faster. I may have to move all of my sites. Won't that be fun! Actually, I should say, won't that be fun for Chris.

Chas.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Keith B wrote:Folks can use the IP temporarily until their DNS catches up 208.77.216.52
How would they find this post if their DNS wasn't pointing to it? :waiting:

JK - I was sad and unable to get in earlier. More baby time I guess.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I was unable to access until about 4:45pm, when I got an email about a new post and followed the link.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

RX8er
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RX8er »

I think I may have discovered an issue. It seems that I can no longer open images that were added as attachments to posts. here are a couple sites:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=62614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
download/file.php?id=4034&mode=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Specs:
Win 8 using Chrome
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

RX8er wrote:I think I may have discovered an issue. It seems that I can no longer open images that were added as attachments to posts. here are a couple sites:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=62614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
download/file.php?id=4034&mode=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Specs:
Win 8 using Chrome
I have the same problem. I submitted a support ticket.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Chas.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Keith B wrote:
lrpettit wrote:Could be my imagination but it seems faster!
Well, we must have the same imagination then, because I was thinking the same thing. :thumbs2:
It is faster. I may have to move all of my sites. Won't that be fun! Actually, I should say, won't that be fun for Chris.

Chas.
A couple of reasons I am sure it's faster is VPS is gonna be a lot faster to begin with as you are not sharing cycle time. The big reason is shorter Internet path to servers located in Texas vs. the previous service location in the northeast.
Keith

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”