Should we have a FAQ section?

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Should we have a FAQ section?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I need some input from you folks. Jim’s post about TSA, airline rules, procedures and other “flying with guns� issues generated a few calls for a “sticky� with his information. Jim’s information is great and I’m thinking we might be able to use a FAQ section. Unlike most FAQ’s section on other boards, ours would not be a “one document covers all.� Instead, each topic would be a separate post and might be locked, but I’m not sure about the locking part, that’s just the way I’m leaning. I’d like to have the FAQ clean without comments or questions. However, I would start a Questions/Comments about FAQ’s post, also as a sticky. Questions and comments could be posted there. The downside would be not having the question close to the FAQ, but all FAQ’s would be clean and folks wouldn’t have to read through a bunch of posts to see if the FAQ was modified.

This section would not be for opinions, but only for facts like Jim’s information on TSA Rules and Regs for guns, CRF Sections dealing with flying with guns, Texas CHL statutory requirements for getting a CHL; effect of the Violence Against Women’s Act on possession of firearms and ammo, what locations are off-limits to CHL’s, etc. All of the information would be available from other sources, but it would be nice to have a central repository for that type of information on TexasCHLforum.

What do you think? If you have an idea for a topic, let us know. To the extent possible, I’d like to post links to the supporting statute, document, web site, etc. so people can verify the information and/or print it for their use. This won’t be mandatory for every topic, but it would be helpful.

Regards,
Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lumberjack98 »

I think that's a great idea.

What about having a separate section for FAQ's and you could lock them at the top and discussions about them could occur in that same area?

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

Sounds good to me!
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Lumberjack98 wrote:I think that's a great idea.

What about having a separate section for FAQ's and you could lock them at the top and discussions about them could occur in that same area?
That's exactly what I would do, if I understand your question correctly. There would be a separate FAQ forum, with a separate FAQ on each issue. Each FAQ would be a sticky, but if I lock it, there wouldn't be any comments or questions possible in that FAQ. Questions and comments would have to be in a separate post or series of posts.

Thanks,
Chas.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dws1117 »

Generally I am against an FAQ section in a forum type of environment. If it is administered properly it can work to everyone's benefit. From what I have seen that isn't always the case. It seems that FAQ sections often retard good discussion and when someone asks a question they are often just flooded with, sometimes downright rude, responses to just see the FAQ, or "that has been asked again" As an example there is a popular gun related forum who's moderators will lock a thread with nothing more than "that has been asked before", but when someone does a search and posts that old topic the that person get locked out or banned for posting to an old thread.

There are always new people with new and old questions. One of the benefits of this forum has been the discussion. Often some of those discussions have brought new insights or information even though the original post was a question that has been asked before.

I am not opposed to an FAQ section if it is administered correctly, which I have no doubt it would be here.

Any, just MHO.

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Lumberjack98 wrote:I think that's a great idea.

That's exactly what I would do, if I understand your question correctly. There would be a separate FAQ forum, with a separate FAQ on each issue. Each FAQ would be a sticky, but if I lock it, there wouldn't be any comments or questions possible in that FAQ. Questions and comments would have to be in a separate post or series of posts.
Yep, we're on the same page.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

As an alternative to locking them, how about moderating them, requiring approval of all posts?

There needs to be a way to add content easily, but without opening it up for discussion (which would kill the FAQ nature of it all).

Kevin

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I'm for the FAQ for the following reasons:

I like to do my own research on issues, and having an FAQ allows me to do so w/o having to ask a question that I can find. I enjoy the "legwork" if you will.

However, some people don't like to read a huge intimidating document to have to answer a simple question that could be easily handled in a post environment. Charles and the rest you guys seem to be on top of people being jerks and such, and the environment of this forum is much more chummy than many others.

So - my point with that comment is that some people just like to ask thier question and get a direct answer which is fine. There should be an understanding that the FAQ pages are available as an option, but that we will still be more than wlling to help someone that asks a FAQ in a post by answering thier post with the answer there.

Repition is the key, the FAQs are exactly that because they are generally unknown by newbies (noobs), so if we can repetively answer the same question, we will get the answers drilled into each others heads, and we all benefit.

Maybe I'm overly optomistic, but I think its a good idea as a supplement, not a replacement of answering questions.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stevie_d_64 »

At least the numbers to the CHL office in Austin...

I keep forgetting them, even if I have posted them in the past...I would rather resourse it here than have to go hunt through a miriad of links and URL I have bookmarked in my computers...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

I think a FAQ section (locked) like the one in the back of the DPS CHL booklet, with many other topics also, would be handy for many people.

AND......,it's easy for me to suggest things that cause other people to work, how about a "Link" section too? Like links to 'packing.org', 'TSRA.com.' 'NRA.com', DPS website(license info), TX.gov(info about contacting our Reps), 1-800-Lawyers??, places we've found good prices on ammo, holsters etc. Yeah, I know, that's what Google is for. It would be a treasure trove for newbies and some of us old dogs might learn something new too!

Not to mention being great for us lazy people........, Where in the heck did I see those Fist holsters on sale,.... I knew I should have bookmarked it,....But I didn't even HAVE a P229 back then.....Doh!
Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I think it's a great idea. The first FAQ should be where can and can't I carry? :lol:

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

OverEasy wrote:1-800-Lawyers??
What the heck do we need that one for??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
OverEasy wrote:1-800-Lawyers??
What the heck do we need that one for??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah? We got Chas!

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

Hey, I was fishin' for Chas. with that one. He started the thread. Besides don't you all ever work? Do you just hangout on the board?

OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

OverEasy wrote:Hey, I was fishin' for Chas. with that one. He started the thread. Besides don't you all ever work? Do you just hangout on the board?

OE
I'm an efficient "multi-tasker"...

I chew bubblegum, pat my head, rub my belly, type silly non-informative comments in internet forums, answer phone(s), take messages...And engineer buildings/structures on the side...

etc etc etc etc etc...

Gimme something hard to do why don't ya...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”