Software update - More information

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Software update - More information

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Use the “Quote” button (“) at the top right of a post to which you wish to respond
Use the “Quote” button (“) at the top right of a post to which you wish to respond
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Use the “Quick Reply” field, or “Post Reply” button at the bottom of the page
Use the “Quick Reply” field, or “Post Reply” button at the bottom of the page
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

This might be a result of the extensions that are disabled; when I click on a posted hyperlink it no longer opens in a new tab. (Link opens & replaces the Forum).

flowrie
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flowrie »

Got it! Thanks!
Had to go to board index and select a topic or catagory, then the New Topic buttons appears.
A little different than the old way.
Thanks?
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:14 am
Pawpaw wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:43 pm I've noticed a new, albeit minor issue today.

Previously, before this latest update, if I wasn't logged into the site, it displayed in a relatively narrow strip in the middle of the screen with a lot of wasted white space on both sides. Once I logged in, the site would fill my screen pretty much from side to side. This behavior continued until today.

Now, I have those "white space" bands on both sides, regardless of whether I'm logged in or not.

Windows 10, Chrome, & a 1600 x 900 laptop display.

Edit: I'm seeing the same behavior with IE.
Clear your browser cache for this site, and you should see the old style.......at least, that’s what worked for me (iOS Safari on iPad Pro).
Thanks, but that didn't solve it for me.

As I said, it's minor.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have not made any headway in correcting the link and report post problems. I've enabled some of the new extensions since the board has run with no extensions for two days with no change. At this point, I'm not confident that the phpBB voluntary support folks are going to be able to help. Two suggestions were made, neither worked, and I've heard nothing since.

It may be that only a future update will fix the problems, but that's not guaranteed. Meanwhile, if you have to report a post, please send a PM to one of the Moderators. Forum Rules have always been in the Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions forum. I deleted the second style in case it was contributing to the problem.

Chas.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

This is what the report post button is linking to: http://texaschlforum.com/app.phpviewtop ... 372/report

It should link to this instead: http://texaschlforum.com/app.php/post/1205372/report

Or better yet: https://texaschlforum.com/app.php/post/1205372/report

Both of these work.

For whatever reason viewtopic.php is being inserted in the middle of the url string.

The Annoyed Man

lonestar144 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:34 pm The report post error should be an easy fix, there is just a conflict in the templates. If phpbb support cant fix it, then they are choosing not to. The way phpbb works, is that you have one main php file and a bunch of corresponding php files for each action of the forum. When one action is not behaving like it should, most of the time it can be traced back to it's own php file.
This ^^

#TINVOWOOT

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

lonestar144 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:34 pm... If phpbb support cant fix it, then they are choosing not to. ...
You're thinking it is a phpBB problem?

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

i dont think its a phpBB problem... im thinking in the code if you did a search for "http://texaschlforum.com/app.phpviewtop ... 372/report" and then changed it to the correct link "https://texaschlforum.com/app.php/post/1205372/report" and then save it, it should fix the issue no problem.
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

i retract my last post... Since the FAQ button next to quick links gives the same error and it has the same "viewtopic.php" slapped in the URL for some reason. might be like lonestar said and a template issue since its showing up on multiple links.
NRA Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

warnmar10 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:15 pm This is what the report post button is linking to: http://texaschlforum.com/app.phpviewtop ... 372/report

It should link to this instead: http://texaschlforum.com/app.php/post/1205372/report

Or better yet: https://texaschlforum.com/app.php/post/1205372/report

Both of these work.

For whatever reason viewtopic.php is being inserted in the middle of the url string.
The problem is no one has yet been able to determine why the extra syntax is being added. Even if I knew where it is in the code, I don't want to make custom modifications that won't survive the next update.

Chas.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:34 amThe problem is no one has yet been able to determine why the extra syntax is being added. Even if I knew where it is in the code, I don't want to make custom modifications that won't survive the next update.

Chas.
FWIW - I don't believe it has anything to do with .php or templates. (Assumes both are original phpBB versions.)

Clearly if this was any of my business I'd already know the answer but, is there a saved copy of the database pre the upgrade?

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:34 amThe problem is no one has yet been able to determine why the extra syntax is being added. ...
Chas.
Is "Enable URL Rewriting" enabled in ACP>General>Server Settings?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

warnmar10 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:15 am
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:34 amThe problem is no one has yet been able to determine why the extra syntax is being added. Even if I knew where it is in the code, I don't want to make custom modifications that won't survive the next update.

Chas.
FWIW - I don't believe it has anything to do with .php or templates. (Assumes both are original phpBB versions.)

Clearly if this was any of my business I'd already know the answer but, is there a saved copy of the database pre the upgrade?
Yes.

Chas.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”