Drones

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Drones

Post by crazy2medic »

What would a focused beam of microwave energy do to a drone?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jrs_diesel »

crazy2medic wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:16 am What would a focused beam of microwave energy do to a drone?
Depends. Microwave has a very short wavelength, and power diminishes quickly with distance (inverse square law) like any radio wave. You would need a powerful transmitter, a very tightly focused beam, and a way to aim it. What it would do if it works is overload the circuits with energy. That could damage the circuits in a way that would render the drone inoperable, or cause erratic operation.

Some drone are autonomous, most are radio controlled. Most of the RC ones are programmed to land upon loss of the RC signal so as not to fly into anyone/anything and cause damage. One could jam the RC signal more easily than using the microwave beam. Either method would very likely fall under unlicensed transmitters that the FCC regulates (i.e. it's illegal).
Last edited by jrs_diesel on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.R.

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

jrs_diesel wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:39 am
crazy2medic wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:16 am What would a focused beam of microwave energy do to a drone?
Depends. Microwave has a very short wavelength, and power diminishes quickly with distance (inverse square law) like any radio wave. You would need a powerful transmitter, a very tightly focused beam, and a way to aim it. What it would do if it works is overload the circuits with energy. That could damage the circuits in a way that would render the drone inoperable, or cause erratic operation.

Some drone are autonomous, most are radio controlled. Most of the RC ones are programmed to land upon loss of the RC signal so as not to fly into anyone/anything and cause damage. One could jam the RC signal more easily than the microwave beam. Either method would very likely fall under unlicensed transmitters that the FCC regulates (i.e. it's illegal).
Good lord, is ANYTHING legal in these United States anymore??
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

imkopaka wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:55 am
jrs_diesel wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:39 am

Some drone are autonomous, most are radio controlled. Most of the RC ones are programmed to land upon loss of the RC signal so as not to fly into anyone/anything and cause damage. One could jam the RC signal more easily than the microwave beam. Either method would very likely fall under unlicensed transmitters that the FCC regulates (i.e. it's illegal).
Good lord, is ANYTHING legal in these United States anymore??

Usually it is when it involves damaging or destroying peoples property that is in what is considered to be a public space/resource. Now we need to remind the folks with BLM/ANTIFA.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

striker55

Post by striker55 »

One reason I didn't shoot at a dangerous dog in my front yard, didn't want a wayward bullet hitting a neighbor's house. Although I'm a good shot and chances are I wouldn't have missed, but the dog did stop from getting any closer.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

As a drone hobbyists and Texas LEO, no you cannot shoot down a drone. You own the property not the airspace above it. Now if someone is flying 15ft above your backyard looking around your property, call the police. If I’m flying 200ft above I assure you my camera zoom isn’t like that of a military predator drone even though my DJI Mavic is a $1k drone.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MadMonkey wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 pm They'll be useful in the coming years if you take the time to learn about them :cool:
Actually... I’m very interested in learning. My next planned large purchase isn’t another gun—of which I have plenty—it’s a a drone. I’m thinking in terms of the latest Mavik Mini, which is supposed to have longer battery life than the larger models, while still offering decent video feed.

Have you ever considered offering drone flying lessons to the uninitiated first-time buyer? You might make some decent side -money that way. (I have copyrighted the idea, which of course I’ll license to you in exchange for free lessons. :mrgreen: )
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:44 am
MadMonkey wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 pm They'll be useful in the coming years if you take the time to learn about them :cool:
Actually... I’m very interested in learning. My next planned large purchase isn’t another gun—of which I have plenty—it’s a a drone. I’m thinking in terms of the latest Mavik Mini, which is supposed to have longer battery life than the larger models, while still offering decent video feed.

Have you ever considered offering drone flying lessons to the uninitiated first-time buyer? You might make some decent side -money that way. (I have copyrighted the idea, which of course I’ll license to you in exchange for free lessons. :mrgreen: )
HolyStone makes a nice GPS drone for $300. It’s a great starter drone as you’re most likely going to crash it. If your really brave, get a DJI Mavic Pro 1st generation for around $700-$800. It has a beginner mode and a great camera. Look them up on YouTube as it’s a great place to research.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

How about a drone with little machine guns and drone air to air missiles? Like Anti Drone, Drone
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

crazy2medic wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 pm How about a drone with little machine guns and drone air to air missiles? Like Anti Drone, Drone
Available, It is called "Coyte" from Raytheon's Missiles and Integrated Defense Systems. More or less, it a Kamikazi style warhead.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

crazy2medic wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 pm How about a drone with little machine guns and drone air to air missiles? Like Anti Drone, Drone
Or maybe this —

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 6

Post by MadMonkey »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:44 am

I might actually have a Mavic Mini for you, but I need to do some troubleshooting to figure out why it's not getting the range it's supposed to... I took it to Nebraska to scout for prairie dog towns last month and it did pretty well for that application :mrgreen: I think wifi interference is the problem but I need to verify that it's not defective before I sell it.

The video quality is exceptional for being such a tiny thing! I'm not a great teacher but I can definitely show you how to fly one.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

oohrah
Posts in topic: 6

Post by oohrah »

nightmare69 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:16 am As a drone hobbyists and Texas LEO, no you cannot shoot down a drone. You own the property not the airspace above it. Now if someone is flying 15ft above your backyard looking around your property, call the police. If I’m flying 200ft above I assure you my camera zoom isn’t like that of a military predator drone even though my DJI Mavic is a $1k drone.
I know drones have to be registered with the FAA. Do you also have to have a Part 107 license, or is that just for commercial?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”