S&W 340pd. Airlite 357 mag

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Re: S&W 340pd. Airlite 357 mag

Post by carlson1 »

Please list an asking price.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

SRO1911 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:08 pm Fixed it.
Had to edit it several times, it kept cutting text off - it's been a techno-illogical Monday part deux today.
That techno problem is everyday for me. :lol:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SRO1911 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:36 pm 11.8 ounces of pocket sized terror.
One of the lightest 357 magnum revolvers on the market - in excellent condition, includes case and all factory goodies. I just found the hammered version, so this centennial version is no longer in the rotation.
Would really prefer trades - especially motorcycles. I don't mind a project as long as it's all there and has a title. No title, no time. Otherwise I like oddball bolt guns, Wildcats, other handguns.
$750obro
I'm near Abilene and will be going through San Antonio and on to Pearland this weekend (6/9-6/10).
“Holy terror”...... you got that right. I have a M&P340, and it is a handful.......and it weighs a couple of ounces more than your gun. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have the hammer version and it definitely is a light gun. It's the only gun that I can ankle carry and not even know that it is there.

Shooting 357's through it is something best left for the end of your range session. You won't want to shoot much of anything after that.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

SRO1911 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:51 pm It's a handful.
But there's something nice about dropping a 'full power' handgun in the pocket of your gym shorts or scrubs and not worrying about a belt.
For reference an iPad mini weighs more than this thing.
I generally go with the philosophy that if I am in a situation where I need to use my SD gun, recoil won't be something I'm concerned about. Shooting without hearing protection will be more unpleasant than any amount of recoil, but that also won't be high on my list of concerns.

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

I have a friend who has one of these. His description is as follows, “ evil just pure evil “ as he grins from ear to ear. Back in my youth I would have had one in a heartbeat but now that I am older and wiser , well my wrists just won’t take that type of recoil anymore. :biggrinjester:
Truth against the world

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have one and I carry from time to time. I have shot as many as 20 rounds in a row of .357 once. .38 not so bad. When I carry it I carry a speed loader with .38’s for back up. It is the top right with white grips.
Attachments
0900C020-65C8-4740-B22F-234F451B773B.jpeg

The Annoyed Man

txhighlander wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:16 pm I have a friend who has one of these. His description is as follows, “ evil just pure evil “ as he grins from ear to ear. Back in my youth I would have had one in a heartbeat but now that I am older and wiser , well my wrists just won’t take that type of recoil anymore. :biggrinjester:
I keep bringing this up periodically whenever we masochists gather to talk about ridiculously light j-frame .357s: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 16#p490416.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:14 pm I have one and I carry from time to time. I have shot as many as 20 rounds in a row of .357 once. .38 not so bad. When I carry it I carry a speed loader with .38’s for back up. It is the top right with white grips.
If any of the pictured become unruly, I will do the honorable thing and offer myself to be a foster mentor. However since you are a man of the cloth, I would not presume to take the evil one away. You need to keep your practice up for your called profession. :tiphat:
Truth against the world

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:39 pm
txhighlander wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:16 pm I have a friend who has one of these. His description is as follows, “ evil just pure evil “ as he grins from ear to ear. Back in my youth I would have had one in a heartbeat but now that I am older and wiser , well my wrists just won’t take that type of recoil anymore. :biggrinjester:
I keep bringing this up periodically whenever we masochists gather to talk about ridiculously light j-frame .357s: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 16#p490416.
I remember a day in the past that I attempted to keep a straight face while shooting something just evil. I might have succeeded but I when for the second 5 rounds, you know keeping up with the man’s image an all. There were tears and my hand was numb for a week. I have since refused to allow myself to do those types of painful things.
Truth against the world

The Annoyed Man

txhighlander wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:53 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:39 pm
I remember a day in the past that I attempted to keep a straight face while shooting something just evil. I might have succeeded but I when for the second 5 rounds, you know keeping up with the man’s image an all. There were tears and my hand was numb for a week. I have since refused to allow myself to do those types of painful things.
One of the respondents on that thread of mine put it this way: “Best description I could think of was shooting that was like driving a motorcycle at 45 mph and slapping a mailbox while you drive by.”

By the way, I don’t want to side-track the OP’s thread any longer. He’s actually got a pretty nice gun for sale, and if I didn’t already own something like it, I might be interested. I pocket-carried mine just last night on a quick run to my local CVS drive-through window. With typical self-defense magnum loads in the 115 to 125 grain range, it really isn’t that terrifying to shoot. Hornady used to publish the ballistics for 2” barrels on their website, for the 125 grain Critical Defense .357 magnum load (now they only show 8” barrel ballistics); but even before those numbers were on their website, I had confirmed with them directly by telephone; and they quoted me 1200 fps and 400 ft-lbs for the Critical Defense FTX from a 2” snubbie. That is VERY good for a SD load. I would characterize the recoil as “startling” rather than “terrifying” (unlike the 158 grain load, which has no business being fired in a gun this light). I would also submit that, in a real self-defense situation, one would not be that likely to notice the Hornady’s recoil - being much more focused on target(s) and what’s going on. My guess is that pretty much any .357 self defense load in that range of bullet weights would feel very much like the Hornady feels. The only real question should be whether or not you trust the FTX bullet design to perform as advertised, and if not, then which bullet design you’d prefer to carry.

The main reason I don’t carry my revolver more often is simply lack of capacity, and speed of reloading. When I want to carry a small light pistol for daily use, my Glock 43 with one or two 8-round backup mags is a better choice. But nothing beats a lightweight revolver for something you can just throw in your pocket with a kydex Alabama Holsters Front Pocket Holster, and that’s why/when I carry mine.....like I did just last night.

If someone is looking for a pistol in this niche, the OP’s gun is a pretty good choice.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Closed Items”